Flyers Evicted

The Northern League (NL) forum
J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Flyers Evicted

Post by J.J. Smith » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm

The Village of Schaumburg finally did something about the $920K the Flyers owe them in back rent on Alexian Field-they demanded payment, didn't receive it, and terminated the lease agreement. I'm amazed they allowed it to go on so long. So that leaves Team Ehrenreich with two teams and no stadiums. It would seem the chances of those two being admitted to the Frontier League now are vanishingly small. I guess they could put up the bleachers again and play at the Zion Field of Dreams for another season, although playing each other all season might get a bit old. At least one of his teams would finally win a Northern League Championship!

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me ... m-20101110

I doubt Schaumburg will ever see any of that back rent, but maybe this will at least allow a group who actually know how to run a legitimate professional franchise to come in and play out of Alexian. I'd like to see that happen for next season, but time is not on their side if Ehrenreich's lawyers drag this out. That stadium lease is the only value his team has at this point.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 pm

I doubt the Village of Schaumburg will see back rent either, at least not in the form of payments from the Flyers. I don't agree with you on the stadium lease being the only value this team has at this point though. Because of the termination of the lease, the Flyers have no value at this point. Terminating the lease gives the village the flexibility to either a) force a sell of the Flyers at a more agreeable price or b) pave the way for an entirely different franchise to move in. I think (b) is a more likely scenario.

http://triblocal.com/schaumburg/2010/10 ... p-for-sale
Fritz said suing the team isn’t an option for the village.

“It’s like getting blood out of a turnip,” he said. “The better situation is to work with (the Flyers) to sell the team.”
This article is from last month October 6, 2010. This leads me to believe the Village of Schaumburg cut-out the middle man (Flyers) and have a different franchise in place since they are now suing the Flyers. Village manager Ken Fritz is right about one thing. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.
Plus, Fritz said closing down the stadium would produce more troubles for Schaumburg.

“There are a number of vendors that count on the Flyers for business. They put about $3 million a year into the local economy, ” he said.
This may explain why the lease situation was allowed to drag on for so long. The loss of a team like the Flyers means a loss of jobs (directly and indirectly). That's why I stated in another post that it wouldn't be a bad idea for places like Joliet and Schaumburg to out-right buy the teams. There is too much on the line.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 am

From Ballpark Digest...

"Now, it may not be as bad as all that for these teams when you look at individual cases -- for example, in the defense of the Schaumburg Flyers, the lawsuit basically puts a lien on the team when it's sold, and both sides say it was more a legalistic move than an adversarial one, as no one is talking eviction."

This is an excellent example of the old saying, "If you owe someone a thousand dollars and you can't pay, you've got a problem; if you owe them a million dollars and you can't pay, they've got a problem".

http://ballparkdigest.com/201011143267/ ... s-for-2011fr

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:10 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]From Ballpark Digest...

"Now, it may not be as bad as all that for these teams when you look at individual cases -- for example, in the defense of the Schaumburg Flyers, the lawsuit basically puts a lien on the team when it's sold, and both sides say it was more a legalistic move than an adversarial one, as no one is talking eviction."

This is an excellent example of the old saying, "If you owe someone a thousand dollars and you can't pay, you've got a problem; if you owe them a million dollars and you can't pay, they've got a problem".

http://ballparkdigest.com/201011143267/ ... s-for-2011fr[/quote]

Honestly, J.J. Why do you bother to quote from Ballparkdigest.com? It's not real news and there are no by-lines. What is printed there is no different from what is printed on a messageboard, except people on messageboards generally don't pretend to spread the news. People on messageboards spread their opinions.

You make interesting points. Many of your points I do not agree with, but I much rather hear YOUR take on the Schaumburg Flyers than quotes from some un-named identity who may not know their foot from a hole in the ground.

Return to “NL”