Joliet to Frontier

The Northern League (NL) forum
J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Joliet to Frontier

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Joliet City Manager Tom Thanas says he would like Frontier League baseball at Silver Cross Field next season. I think this is could be a good fit (at this time, at least) for both the city and the FL, and I expect to see it happen.

Also, reports are the Fielders are ready to fold. RIP Northern League.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm

The Joliet city manager is saying a lot and wishing for a lot lately. Joliet needs to get ownership in place first. I know municipalities are cash strapped, but it would not be a bad idea for the city to takeover ownership depending on the summer jobs affected.

Reports are the Fielders are ready to fold?!? Reports?!? What reports?

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Rockford, Joliet to Frontier League

http://ballparkdigest.com/201010203189/ ... ier-league

"Adding to the woes: some $903,000 owed to Schaumburg by the ownership of the Schaumburg Flyers, an amount that has local officials questioning the future of the team after a sale of the franchse fell through this summer. The future of the Lake County Fielders is also up in the air. There's the real chance those two teams could be sidelined."

Official: Northern League bouncing back

http://triblocal.com/schaumburg/2010/10 ... cing-back/

"With a Schaumburg Flyers sale in limbo, a Joliet JackHammers sale nixed, and four other teams in the Northern League fleeing, the outlook for the professional baseball season seems grim.

But League Commissioner Clark Griffith promises an announcement any day now that will brighten that picture.

“We’re not going to be four teams,” Griffith said. “We’re going to be six or eight.”"

...whatever you say, Clark ;)

ca
Site Admin

does the fl want any ...

Post by ca » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 pm

of these remaining nol clubs knowing that they wont move for choice but need . btw if michigan is left with just one fl club next yr what happens to the fl ?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Rockford and Joliet to Frontier League?!? Is that a statement of fact or fantasy?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:22 am

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]Rockford, Joliet to Frontier League

http://ballparkdigest.com/201010203189/ ... ier-league

"Adding to the woes: some $903,000 owed to Schaumburg by the ownership of the Schaumburg Flyers, an amount that has local officials questioning the future of the team after a sale of the franchse fell through this summer. The future of the Lake County Fielders is also up in the air. There's the real chance those two teams could be sidelined."

Official: Northern League bouncing back

http://triblocal.com/schaumburg/2010/10 ... cing-back/

"With a Schaumburg Flyers sale in limbo, a Joliet JackHammers sale nixed, and four other teams in the Northern League fleeing, the outlook for the professional baseball season seems grim.

But League Commissioner Clark Griffith promises an announcement any day now that will brighten that picture.

“We’re not going to be four teams,” Griffith said. “We’re going to be six or eight.”"

...whatever you say, Clark ;) [/quote]

Is THIS the report about the Fielders folding?!? The news from Ballparkdigest.com?!? Ballparkdigest.com is not a credible source for news. The news in Ballparkdigest.com is a huge dose of plagiarism, lots of gossip, and a sprinkling of insider information. Mind you, I don't use the word plagiarism lightly. When a person lifts an article from a reporter almost word for word and doesn't credit the reporter, then that reporter was just victimized. I've actually provided links to original articles that were plagiarized by Ballparkdigest.com in the past (and as recently as this year) on another message board. Ironically, I think Ballparkdigest.com is mainly a fine website. What they pass off as news is unethical garbage though.

On the other hand, your link to triblocal.com demonstrates that THIS media outlet is credible. Notice how the article has a reporter by-line and the article gives credit to a contributing writer at the end.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inserted the words victimized and original

Zeyes
Site Admin

Post by Zeyes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 am

[quote=""ca""]btw if michigan is left with just one fl club next yr what happens to the fl ?[/quote]
Nothing happens to the FL, would be my guess. Why should having one MI franchise be a problem, exactly?

ca
Site Admin

why should having 1 mi club ...

Post by ca » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 am

in the fl be a problem ? travel !

bengalbill
Site Admin

Post by bengalbill » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 am

you mean like one pennsylvania team? ohio team? kentucky team?

ca
Site Admin

yes that ky , oh and pa ...

Post by ca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:53 am

team could have some travel issues in the fl . as for nol nines jumping to the fl im not sold on folks in these markets backing fl ball and the loss of the last 4 tems may be a blessing for the rest of the nol from a travel view

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Blessing?

Post by J.J. Smith » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:45 pm

The thing is, the four teams that the Northern League were "blessed" to lose were the only ones that had any financial stability. Travel is a big deal, no doubt about it, but you can work out the nicest looking scenarios on a map (people do it all the time on the various boards) and it translates into zip if the revenue isn't there.

Here's the situation of the "new" Northern league...

1. Joliet:
Deeply in debt. Bad relationship with the city. Unfavorable lease terms. Looking for new ownership at a time of uncertain league status.

2. Schaumburg:
Beyond deeply in debt. Disrespected owner. Declining attendance. Also looking for new ownership as above.

3. Rockford:
Uncertain financial situation (last year they publicly stated that there financial situation was so dicey that they needed property tax exemptions or risked having the privately financed stadium being foreclosed on by the bank.)

4. Zion:
Insert your own joke here

Return to “NL”