Jackhammers in trouble, need cash for bills...

The Northern League (NL) forum
JAKMAN
Site Admin

Jackhammers in trouble, need cash for bills...

Post by JAKMAN » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 pm

For those of you who haven't read the stories, the team owes a lot of money to people, especially the city of Joliet, who owns the stadium, and the San Diego Chicken. The Chicken's $8,000 check bounced.

Very sad it got to this point.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 pm

The Jackhammers owe money to LOTS of people. Their reputation in the area is below zero. This last season, they used the ol' print um up and give um away strategy, and then bragged about bogus paid attendance increases. But come accounting time, the money isn't there, and the bills still are.

All of the Illinois Northern League teams are in financial jeopardy. It's just not working anymore. Big changes are going to have to be made with the business model of these teams if they are to be viable businesses and not just government welfare projects. Actually forming the long rumored Chicagoland circuit may be a step in the right direction. Or it may be too little, too late.

What I think is going to happen under any scenareo is the stadium owners, like the Village of Schaumburg and the City of Joliet, are going to have to accept way less in the way of rent than they ever imagined to at least keep someone playing in the parks. Sweetheart deals like the Railcats have will be the norm.
Last edited by J.J. Smith on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Jackhammers in trouble

Post by alkalinefan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 pm

This is interesting news.Sometimes I get out of the loop in reguards to what is going on in the minors but this is a surprise.The whole picture I mean.

ca
Site Admin

j/hammers arent the only ...

Post by ca » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:46 am

ones in trouble here in america's heartland as i wonder how much longer the AA can continue with its travel . as for the nol the windy cindy circuit may happen soon since many of the parks in the nol are way to lavish imo . as for the fl they may be in for some BIG trouble aka contraction

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:31 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]The Jackhammers owe money to LOTS of people. Their reputation in the area is below zero. This last season, they used the ol' print um up and give um away strategy, and then bragged about bogus paid attendance increases. But come accounting time, the money isn't there, and the bills still are.

All of the Illinois Northern League teams are in financial jeopardy. It's just not working anymore. Big changes are going to have to be made with the business model of these teams if they are to be viable businesses and not just government welfare projects. Actually forming the long rumored Chicagoland circuit may be a step in the right direction. Or it may be too little, too late.

What I think is going to happen under any scenareo is the stadium owners, like the Village of Schaumburg and the City of Joliet, are going to have to accept way less in the way of rent than they ever imagined to at least keep someone playing in the parks. Sweetheart deals like the Railcats have will be the norm.[/quote]
Gary's deal is comparable to every other ball team in the nation that recieved a ballbark built by the taxpayers. The Railcats may have gotten more ballpark for the money, if that's what you mean by sweetheart deal. However, I submit this to you. What good is a restaurant in right field when people are currently too poor to patronize it? What good are pool tables and leather sofas on the suite level when large corporations asked for a bailout a few years ago or asked for union concessions and got it? These same corporations can't now say, "Let's lease a suite at the ballpark and drink beer until we're blind".

BTW, it's not a Chicagoland thing. It's an all over thing.

ca
Site Admin

joliet's options

Post by ca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 am

what fl or mwl team would/could move to joliet ? the real problem maybe where does the nol put team # 8 if joliet doesnt return

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:15 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Gary's deal is comparable to every other ball team in the nation that recieved a ballbark built by the taxpayers. The Railcats may have gotten more ballpark for the money, if that's what you mean by sweetheart deal. However, I submit this to you. What good is a restaurant in right field when people are currently too poor to patronize it? What good are pool tables and leather sofas on the suite level when large corporations asked for a bailout a few years ago or asked for union concessions and got it? These same corporations can't now say, "Let's lease a suite at the ballpark and drink beer until we're blind".

BTW, it's not a Chicagoland thing. It's an all over thing.[/quote]

The Steel Yard cost twice as much to build and the rent they pay is considerably lower than what the Jackhammers are (supposed to) pay. The percentage of rent paid to cost of construction has got to be among the lowest around.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 am

[quote=""ca""]what fl or mwl team would/could move to joliet ? the real problem maybe where does the nol put team # 8 if joliet doesnt return[/quote]

Lake County does not look like it can build anything at this time. That franchise could be put on ice, and it's back to six like before. Things are not looking up for the Northern League.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]The Steel Yard cost twice as much to build and the rent they pay is considerably lower than what the Jackhammers are (supposed to) pay. The percentage of rent paid to cost of construction has got to be among the lowest around.[/quote]

The publicized numbers that were thrown around at a Joliet city council meeting last year and the amounts the Railcats pay are roughly the same. I'm too lazy to search for articles at the moment because I have other points to make (here and in my next reply).

What does the percentage of rent paid to cost of construction have to do with anything?!? Understand this, ballparks like U.S. Steel Yard and Silver Cross were never ever intended to be profitable. These ballparks were built to stimulate downtown development and generate jobs, whether directly or indirectly.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:07 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]Lake County does not look like it can build anything at this time. That franchise could be put on ice, and it's back to six like before. Things are not looking up for the Northern League.[/quote]
With all due respect, your logic is...what?!? Lake County already has a ballpark. It's a temporary ballpark, but it's a ballpark that fans seem to enjoy.

Return to “NL”