merging loops

The Northern League (NL) forum
ca
Site Admin

merging loops

Post by ca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 am

bpd has the aa/nl/fl looking into a merger ?
i cant see nl teams going to the fl although the other way around might happen (aka r/ford) as for an aa merger with the nl in the north i could see this happening . sounds like pk costs and travel are starting to take their toll especially the later imo

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:20 am

If costs of travel are starting to take their toll, than merging won't exactly solve that problem. Traveling from Pensacola to Winnipeg to Pittsburgh to St. Louis isn't exactly a low costs league. Factor B is that the Northern League and Frontier League operate on different scales. The FL has (in general) lower salaries, lower attendance, and smaller budgets. Combined these with the NL and AA style won't be easy. Also, what does the FL have to gain from a merger? From all I can see(correct me if I'm wrong), the Frontier League is doing just fine.
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 am

I think a reasonable solution will work out someday...

Personally, I favor the proposal of a Chicagoland League (for starters) where Windy City (Crestwood), Schaumburg, Joliet, Lake County, Rockford, Gary, and McHenry County. (That would have the potential to have some of the highest average attendance in any league)...I was at that Fielders-Flyers game, and the atmosphere was EXCELLENT-this could be big!
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

ca
Site Admin

i wouldnt say the fl ...

Post by ca » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:58 am

is doing just fine as i can see some clubs due to some shaky nines in the east jumping ship as for this chicagoland loop i like it myself . the bigger problem might be the aa north n nl west if you will now there's where i can see a merger

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Ballparkdigest.com seems to be a great site...except for these features.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 pm

I just read the Ballpark Digest article Indy Realignment in Discussion Phase. I don't doubt there may be some sort of merger someday, but heck, the NL and AA have had talks like this for some time now. They play pre-season games against each other already.

I've questioned the contents of these so-called news features from Ballpark Digest for years now. That sort of writing (without citing sources) belongs in blogs, opinion columns or discussion boards (IMO). Anyone and their little sister can write for Ballpark Digest and apparently anyone and baby sis does write for them. There's no by-line. There's no journalistic integrity.
However, as far as we can tell, there are no three-way talks and no talk of combining all three leagues into a super-league. We do hear that talks are on the advanced side in terms of an American Association/Northern League combination, with merger being discussed...
As far as WE can tell?!? Who is we? There's no by-line. Also, why is the FL even mentioned in this article if there were no simultaneous talks with the FL. The NL talks with the GBL too. They had an all*star game together this year. Maybe the AA talks with the GBL too. The bits about the FL seem like another article for another time.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:48 pm

The only thing I've heard so far is one of the ULB teams is looking at joining the AA (I think it was Abilene, correction Laredo, my bad) and that was being looked at as a way to get a new ballpark built. I know the Pensacola ownership is looking at buying an affiliated ball team, but that sounded like a year or two away.
Last edited by nksports on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 am

I believe the group that won the ballpark bid in Laredo plans on placing an AA team there, leaving ULB's Broncos out in the cold.

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 am

This is what I've been able to piece together thus far.

ULB folds.

Amarillo and San Angelo to AA. Laredo goes dark, back next year with AA.
Edinburg, Coastal Bend, and Rio Grande Valley all fold.

AA becomes Amarillo, El Paso, San Angelo, Wichita, Grand Prairie, Fort Worth, Shreveport, Pensacola (in for one more year, actively recruiting affiliated ball) Laredo.

The teams St. Paul, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Lincoln, Kansas City, Fargo, Topeka, and one more reform the northern league.

The Chicagoland area teams would have their own circuit.

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:42 am

Also, the new Atlantic League Western Division will poach all the best markets from the AA.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 am

[quote=""skippy""]Topeka[/quote]

http://cjonline.com/news/2010-07-03/cit ... ll_lawsuit

http://www.venturasports.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=81

The former makes me wonder if a new stadium in Topeka would get off the ground. The latter makes me think they are looking at Topeka for the AA.
If I were the AA, I'd wonder about having so many teams owned by the same entity.

Return to “NL”