merging loops

The Northern League (NL) forum
skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:27 am

That entity is really the entire league already.

Look at the inter-team trading that goes on between the Goldkang group, Ventura Sports, Miles Wolff, etc.

The other teams are just schedule fillers.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:03 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]I think a reasonable solution will work out someday...

Personally, I favor the proposal of a Chicagoland League (for starters) where Windy City (Crestwood), Schaumburg, Joliet, Lake County, Rockford, Gary, and McHenry County. (That would have the potential to have some of the highest average attendance in any league)...I was at that Fielders-Flyers game, and the atmosphere was EXCELLENT-this could be big![/quote]

McHenry is a project that, at this point, is dead in the water. They have ZERO funding to build a stadium. I suppose they could take a page out of the Lake County playbook and put up a temporary facility, but I don't think they even have the money for that. Remember, everything done up in Zion was with a state grant earmarked for infrastructure improvements at Trumpet Industrial Park down the road. No private investor in their right mind would actually fund a temporary park. First rule of stadium building: Use someone else's money, because they are huge money losers from beginning to end. The REAL money is made on the front end of these deals, not in running the club.

There may well be a Chicagoland League of some sort. It makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels. But rather than being big, I think it would just allow the teams in it to stay in business. And road teams would be really cheap and easy to assemble and maintain if a team falls by the wayside or they were needed for scheduling purposes.

Salvi is the key owner in all of this. I think he would be the de facto commissioner of any new league.

Return to “NL”