Gary Railcats sign Randall Simon

The Northern League (NL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Gary Railcats sign Randall Simon

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:03 am

Manager Greg Tagert signs Randall Simon:
http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/fanzone/news/1/491/

Tagert mentioned a few weeks ago that he needed an impact player. The only way a Northern League team can win the championship is to bring in an impact type guy (IMO). Tagert realizes that too after only being a championship runner-up the last two years. The actual champions had that ONE guy that tipped the series in their favor. Kansas City had Ken Harvey in 2008. Fargo had (I forget his name but he hit everything) in 2009. Gary will have Randall Simon in 2010. I like Gary's chances to win a third championship now. Before the announcement, I knew Gary was in for another early exit.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:48 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Manager Greg Tagert signs Randall Simon:
http://www.railcatsbaseball.com/fanzone/news/1/491/

Tagert mentioned a few weeks ago that he needed an impact player. The only way a Northern League team can win the championship is to bring in an impact type guy (IMO). Tagert realizes that too after only being a championship runner-up the last two years. The actual champions had that ONE guy that tipped the series in their favor. Kansas City had Ken Harvey in 2008. Fargo had (I forget his name but he hit everything) in 2009. Gary will have Randall Simon in 2010. I like Gary's chances to win a third championship now. Before the announcement, I knew Gary was in for another early exit.[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how he does in Gary compared to his stint here in Rockford. One teams headache could be anothers savior. There were a lot of questions about him here, looked like he was going through the motions at time, questions as to how hurt he really was, lack of production, and then finally skipping a roadtrip that ended up being the end of the road for him here.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm

I only hope he sticks around long enough to help Gary the remainder of THIS season. Next season I hope he's gone and not taking up a roster spot. That's how it seems to work with these impact type of players. They join a team late in the season to help a team into the playoffs.

Although, Simon was with Fargo last season and was GONE by late in the season instead of helping Fargo. In my opinion, Fargo was better without Simon. Gary can only improve with Randall Simon because Gary's (two) heavy hitters got a lot of junk pitches. Now pitchers will have to pitch them honestly with Simon coming to the plate...as long as Simon is playing hard (as he claims he was doing in Rockford).

Return to “NL”