Rude autograph seekers and rude fans in general

The Northern League (NL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Rude autograph seekers and rude fans in general

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:27 pm

I have a new found respect for independent league ball players. It's a Saturday night, a bat giveaway night at U.S. Steel Yard during a brief rain delay. This group of eleven-ish aged boys were at the home dugout having their bats autographed until they were told to return to their seats. Well, they decided to come over to where I was cowering under a umbrella instead. I guess one of kids didn't get his bat signed, so he decided to stick his middle finger up in the direction of the dugout. "No, no, no", I sternly told him in my best stern voice. "You can't come over to our section and flip people off. It's not allowed."

I just made that part up about what was or was not allowed, but the kid didn't know. My point is that players make next to nothing in pay, but are expected to put up with fan abuse. I'm almost always in favor of ownership (as long as ownership is well funded) and I don't think independent league ball players should whine (seeing how they've been given a second chance to shine), but these players have a lot more patience than me when it comes to abuse. No wonder some athletes refuse to sign autographs or appear stand-offish in public. The behavior of some fans is horrible.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Thou fans should not razz our batters when we're mired in last place?!?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Through my associations, I know a lot of unwritten rules exist in professional baseball--like thou shall not dance to your theme music before entering the batter's box. Infractions of rules like this one will get a batter drilled in the back by a fastball, then the manager or coach that ordered the hit may later remind that same downed batter they still want him to speak at their youth camp during the off-season. The unwritten rules trump friendships.

Last night, I learned a new unwritten baseball rule. Maybe this is only a minor league/independent league rule, but I DON'T think it's going to catch on.

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/2669268 ... 03.article
...With two outs in that inning, things escalated. On the first pitch after Schaumburg manager Mike Busch made a mound visit to Aaron Guinn, the right-hander hit John Parham. And on the next pitch, Guinn hit Adam Klein. A furious Tagert hopped out of the dugout, with Busch appearing to tell him to go back. Guerrero had to restrain Tagert, as the dugouts emptied again after Tuesday's drama over a home-plate collision, before order was restored with no ejections.

Tagert said the Flyers were upset about comments fans in the stands were making during at-bats.
The comments fans made during at-bats upset the Schaumburg Flyers?!? That's why I don't think this unwritten rule will gain popularity. How does a manager control the comments of the fans?!? Manager Mike Busch told Manager Greg Tagert to control those M***** F*****'s. That's why he ordered the Gary Railcats players hit. Of course, Greg Tagert threw his hands up and said What do you want ME to do about the fans??? They're going to say stuff. It got funnier after things calmed down, well maybe not for John Parham. Another fan, who sits next to the visiting dugout every game kept yelling they better not hit you (Parham) again or I'm running out on the field. Well, you guessed it. It was all about rude fans. The next time up to bat Parham got drilled in the back a second time to spite this noisy fan. You also guessed it, the fan hugged his seat and didn't rush the field. Instead, the fan yelled well, if it happens again I'm there for you Parham.

I don't care for obnoxious fans either, but I also don't think this new unwritten rule has legs. The offending pitcher and manager were tossed from the game, Parham probably wished they would have picked on someone else, and there are still plenty of talkative people in the stands that will never face an 88 mph fastball between the shoulder blades.

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Ken...your league is obviously a rare bird...this does not happen when two teams play good baseball. Hitting a batter for some reasons will always be there, but a raucious fan that gets batters hit would be a bad day for the fan in our league....OUT and not in a nice way.
Hard slides, collisions, brush backs are part of the game and necessary if you want to continue to play the game. You can control the fans if the ownership deems it important, and you definitely can control the players if they want to be on the roster.
Baseball is Life

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:31 pm

Fans at U.S. Steel Yard in Gary yell at players, umpires, and managers all the time. The score doesn't matter and the side doesn't matter...well, the home team gets far less razz than the visitors. A few hecklers coordinate their razzing with text messages or by simply calling out to each other across the seating bowl. They think they're part of the show. It's not the type of behavior for me, but these hecklers paid their money to get into the ballpark the same as the quieter fans. The players, umpires, and managers all need to learn how to deal with it and be happy independent leagues are around to give them a shot at affiliated ball and the majors.

It's true that the best ball wasn't being played at the time. The home team (Gary Railcats) won the game 15-0 against the Schaumburg Flyers. The Flyers were obviously frustrated because they were trying to play the role of spoilers since already eliminated from playoff contention. Also (and remember), lots of razzing goes on at U.S. Steel Yard. The day before the incident, friends of the home plate umpire (possible umpires themselves) sat behind the plate and gave their buddy hell on EVERY call all night. I'm sure the Flyers dugout remembered that as well and said enough is enough from the crowd.

I don't think the Railcats owner wants to stifle vocal fans, unless they become obscene. Fans certainly aren't stifled in Boston, and some of them ARE obscene. Fans pay the bills. However, when the Flyers manager pointed to the stands during the bench clearing those fans were asked to leave the seating bowl. When the Flyers pitcher and manager were ejected for the next hit batter, the fan stayed.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Another angle on those Railcats batters being hit. This time with a specific explanation on fan behavior that may have caused the problems.
http://www.post-trib.com/sports/2675352 ... 05.article
Now the actual incident that cleared the benches wasn't caused by these fans, but it might have been indirectly due to it. You see, supposedly they broke another godforsaken unwritten rule that fans aren't allowed to guess pitches from the opposing team.

Flyers manager Mike Busch was upset this group of fans were chanting "low and inside" or "high and away." It got into the heads of the pitcher and the rest of the Northern League's last place team and that's just too bad.
Well, the person sitting next to me noticed these same guys kept holding up their camera phones when the Schaumburg players were at bat. What?!? The guys were supposed to be in communication with the Railcats dugout?!? I don't think so. The only fans that can see what's going on between the catcher's legs are the fans in the centerfield party deck...and they better have a powerful zoom lens. People in the seating bowl can't see a thing.

No, it was frustration. If Schaumburg thought sign-stealing was an issue, then they would have pointed it out to the umpires days before...especially the game when the home plate umpire's buddies were sitting behind the plate loudly critiquing everything on the field.

Return to “NL”