Play Ball: The State of Minor League Baseball During the Recession

The Northern League (NL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Play Ball: The State of Minor League Baseball During the Recession

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Lake Michigan Shore magazine's July 2010 edition includes an article on three rust belt teams along the southern most shores of Lake Michigan: West Michigan Whitecaps, South Bend Silver Hawks, and Gary Southshore Railcats (the only independent league mentioned in detail).

http://visitshoremagazine.com/2/?p=13972
The recession has put a squeeze play on America, but no place has been hit as hard as the Rust Belt. Unemployment in Michigan reached 14.3 percent in January, the highest in the country.

But minor league baseball continues to prosper in Michigan, notably with the Midwest League’s West Michigan Whitecaps outside of Grand Rapids. On the Indiana side, the South Bend Silver Hawks are branching out into the community, and the most remarkable upswing can be found with the Northern League’s Gary SouthShore RailCats—a team that is defying odds with its spiffy downtown ballpark.

Baseball can thrive during bad times.
There were some interesting statistics in the article. I always knew (even before the ballpark was built) the highest percentage of fans at Railcats games would come from places other than Gary. However, I didn't know Gary residents were as high as the third largest percentage of fans at US Steel Yard either. I figured Gary residents were far lower down the totem pole in that department. Don't know why I figured that since I'm a Gary resident and practically live at the ballpark and know other Gary people that camp-out there as well.

A few other interesting statistics, while I knew the Railcats attendance went up last year I didn't know that during the same year 81% of all minor league attendance went down. Railcats attendance seems a little down this year though. Maybe bad economic times have taken hold. I seem to remember larger crowds on Fireworks Fridays. Today's promotion will tell the story. Beach towel Sunday has always drawn more than 4000 fans in the past. If 4000 aren't at the Steel Yard, then double-dip recession is a reality. 8)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:39 pm

3480 at that game. The overflow parking lot to the west of the ballpark hasn't been used yet this season either. Money is tight when people aren't breaking their necks for a beach towel giveaway.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Gary's Stadium

Post by alkalinefan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:39 pm

It looks like you have a very nice baseball stadium in Gary.I drove by your park a few years ago while driving West on I-90. If I had a ballpark of your quality down the road in Waterford Township(Oakland County Michigan)I would surely be a happier man.

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:33 am

One thing to remember, (based on Paul Edmunds' calculations on the NL Report over the years,) and that is that NL teams only need to draw a tad over 2500 fans per game, (paying,) to break even. That means that while 3500 doesn't sound like much, it keeps Gary over the danger zone and if they can average that then they will be fine.

The Fish aren't likely to set any attendance records this season but the team has been considerably weaker and slumping badly combined with bad weather. That said our numbers are still solid and the team will make money this season as well.
And that is all the people need to know!

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:48 am

Gary makes money every year, even their first year in the new ballpark when they averaged only a little over 3000 for the season. I'm actually more concerned about the economy in general. Promotions at the ballpark seem to mirror the state of the economy. Less than 4000 show-up for one of the most popular promotions of the season and sure enough, foreclosures are on pace for being as high as they were a couple of years ago (except no one is talking about it quite as much).

It's not scientific, but a lot can be learned while at the ballpark. The lines at the import beer stand are shorter too. Ironically, weekday game attendance has more than doubled at US Steel Yard since year one. Go figure. Well, there's $2 beer Wednesday. That at least accounts for hump day's popularity. 8)

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Went to see the Flyers/Railcats at Alexian last night. Actual attendance seemed down somewhat from when I went at about the same time last year. About half the suites seemed to be totally empty. But what was most noticeable was the total lack of lines at any of the concession stands. The bar behind home plate that sells the higher end stuff was dead. If what I saw last night was typical of how the rest of the season has been going, I've got to think that the teams total revenue is significantly off from last year.

Alexian Field is a great place to take in game, and last night was no exception. But it seems the new owners have their work cut out for them in reviving what should be one of the strongest independent franchises.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The northwest portion of the Chicago area is affected too.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:36 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]Went to see the Flyers/Railcats at Alexian last night. Actual attendance seemed down somewhat from when I went at about the same time last year. About half the suites seemed to be totally empty. But what was most noticeable was the total lack of lines at any of the concession stands. The bar behind home plate that sells the higher end stuff was dead. If what I saw last night was typical of how the rest of the season has been going, I've got to think that the teams total revenue is significantly off from last year.

Alexian Field is a great place to take in game, and last night was no exception. But it seems the new owners have their work cut out for them in reviving what should be one of the strongest independent franchises.[/quote]
It's the economy. Sounds like a buzz word, but 8 million jobs were lost in the economic downturn and people don't seem to be comfortable spending their dollars. When people DO spend their dollars, then they tend to be careful during times like this. Why spend $9 plus tip for a Belgium Fat Tire beer when a person can have a MGD for $5.50 (which still isn't cheap, IMO)?

Return to “NL”