North American League

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

North American League

Post by LaVidaLoca » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Indy Fans...et all...If this works, these owners, and CEO's will be looked upon as visionaries...and if it fails...no real loss as it was going south anyway. My interest level has peaked...but I'm not saying it WILL work, but, if it makes it thru 2011, look for more teams looking for stability to jump in the mix in 2012. I have had many doubts about the GBL, but when you throw in 2 other leagues I am more apt to wait and see and hope it succeeds for everyone!!

I say good luck and keep playing!

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/ArDisplay ... &SecID=303

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:05 am

like the Danderoo said, "If if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas."

Keep in mind these are the same guys who have screwed up their own individual leagues...and they're teaming up for a mega-league. I'm more inclined to think it will be a mega-cluster****, rather than the answer to their problems.

The fact that they're even considering Maui, much less Tijuana, for 2011 gives me pause. Just makes zero sense, unless they can have 4 teams ready for play, as an "Islands" division, in 2011.

Forget Tj: just a bad idea.

I hope I'm wrong about the new venture, but I wouldn't bet the price of a daily paper, much less the rent, on it.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 am

Once the first team don't make a road trip to another division, the league will implode.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:52 am

I'd say hope for the best, plan for the worst. Given some of the track records involved (especially with the GBL teams), I wouldn't buy season tickets. Buy walk-up only.

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Stg2010...a very good source in Maui says the prior owners are done...OC is trying to take over but the outstanding bills are very huge and it's not a done deal yet. OC has no place to play so if the deal doesn't get done, then they may end up a road team only...alot happening so we'll see.

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:01 pm

First of all I have it first hand that Maui does not owe alot of vendors maybe total of $60k and the new ownership group is not all of the OC group just 3 at this time, and they got involved for a steal of a price. If you go to the website you will see it is complete and the new owners names are up. Also, the flights to Maui are no more then the flights to Canada, the league did not make scheduling concessions for the Maui team but for their own teams, the umpires were not Maui umpires but GBL umpires, the players were great together and that is why they won their division and went to the championship, all of the players were paid and anybody that went to the games enjoyed themselves more then any other ballpark in the league. I know this for a fact so unless you worked there daily please stop with the bad comments abou Maui and hope they do play next year it is a great ballpark, great talent came from the team and the Islands, and a great place for visiting teams to play and have fun. :-D

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

[quote=""Lunkhead""]First of all I have it first hand that Maui does not owe alot of vendors maybe total of $60k and the new ownership group is not all of the OC group just 3 at this time, and they got involved for a steal of a price. If you go to the website you will see it is complete and the new owners names are up. Also, the flights to Maui are no more then the flights to Canada, the league did not make scheduling concessions for the Maui team but for their own teams, the umpires were not Maui umpires but GBL umpires, the players were great together and that is why they won their division and went to the championship, all of the players were paid and anybody that went to the games enjoyed themselves more then any other ballpark in the league. I know this for a fact so unless you worked there daily please stop with the bad comments abou Maui and hope they do play next year it is a great ballpark, great talent came from the team and the Islands, and a great place for visiting teams to play and have fun. :-D [/quote]

Lunkhead...no one is hoping Maui won't play. The facts are the facts and the club lost money, had very low attendance, owe money due to that and some of OC $$ wants to try to bring it back. We all know they had a very good bunch of players and won their division. We also know they had many issues with pay and some turmoil as to whether they would take the field a few times. Their field is a HS field and the facilities are HS ish. That doesn't make it a bad org, but it does reflect on the amt of fans needed to run an effective program.
As for costs of plane fare...It costa every team around 20,000 to play there. Is it nice, of course, but can most of the teams afford it...NO..as is shown by the GBL's record. Does that mean Maui is a bad franchise...NO...but it does mean and has shown, that it is a bad investment for all to meet their budgets. With 2 or 3 teams on the islands...Maybe it could work, but with only Maui it won't. And with the new NAL alignment (maybe) it will be much harder to finance.
Maui has sponsors that are leary, vendors that are leary, and they MUST have at least 12-1500 a game to make it work just for themselves...do the math. I hope the OC people can pull it off because they have no other place to go for 2011. And if the franchise was so good, as told by the previous GBL backed owners, why not go for another year instead of leaving the ship. All along this past season they said they were doing great and everything was looking good to extend another team to the islands...how is that looking? It's simple, a good bunch of players, another venture too far away to succeed, and a league that cared only about their $$.
Once again, no one is bad mouthing the team or its' players...they proved they are solid...but the likelyhood of a continued attachment from afar to an already unstable league is at best a WISH...and I wish them the best.

Last but not least...the GBL did make concessions for them as they had to sustain them based on several teams emploding and to save them $$ that they did not have for travel...doesn't mean the (team) wasn't solid, just the franchise ownership in a location that cannot work.

We'll await the schedules and see...Good Luck to them in 2011.

uf318
Site Admin

North American League inaugural meeting?

Post by uf318 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 am

Does anyone know if the inaugural meeting of North American League owners took place at the end of November as planned? If so, what additional details were announced regarding the new league? I can't find a press release about these meetings....

Thanks!

RichardE
Site Admin

Agreed

Post by RichardE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

[quote=""LaVidaLoca""]Indy Fans...et all...If this works, these owners, and CEO's will be looked upon as visionaries...and if it fails...no real loss as it was going south anyway. My interest level has peaked...but I'm not saying it WILL work, but, if it makes it thru 2011, look for more teams looking for stability to jump in the mix in 2012. I have had many doubts about the GBL, but when you throw in 2 other leagues I am more apt to wait and see and hope it succeeds for everyone!!

I say good luck and keep playing!

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/ArDisplay ... &SecID=303[/quote]I agree with you

riverrider35
Site Admin

Post by riverrider35 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 am

Laredo is already out as they will go to AA in 2012 Coastal bend is out also Omaha is being floated around as is Abilene, Talked to a friend in the GBl who coaches he informs me they will attempt to bring in Pueblo, Co, Grand Junction, Co and Lubbok Texas to go in this new NAL as well these with Omaha would make a close divison maybe even an Ok team in their would be nice central divison along with SAn ANgelo and maybe Edingurgh

Return to “GBL”