Rockford to Golden League; League Expands

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
Zeyes
Site Admin

Post by Zeyes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 am

Just out of curiosity, how many more times will you be posting these repetitive anti-BPD rants until you feel you've sufficiently made the point to us deluded rubes reading this forum?

If you actually read BPD instead of just complaining about it from afar, you just might have seen their About page at some point, including its "Contributing writers" section. (Where you got the idea that "anyone can contribute" is completely beyond me.) Even with their no-bylines policy, I'm positive they'd be kind enough to direct you to the author of a particular post if you actually voiced specific disagreement with it instead of your nebulous "unsubstantiated drivel" accusations.
Last edited by Zeyes on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

LivefromChico
Site Admin

Quite the puzzle

Post by LivefromChico » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 am

OK, let me see if I have this straight since all of what you guys are writing about is news to me. The concept, as I understand it, is to take the surviving teams from four indy leagues across the country and combine them to form some sort of "super" indy league with four divisions made up of four teams each? Is that the basic gist of the idea?

So if that's the case, does that mean that you would only play in your division, or would you be expected to travel out of division? And what teams are making up the "west" division in this fantasy league? If Chico is included, that would be interesting news. From what I understand, the Outlaws folks are trying like hell to represent that they'll be here next season, but as of now, there's no contract in place to my knowledge.

To be honest, this sounds like one of the stupidest ideas I've heard of, and being around the Outlaws for so many years, trust me when I say I've heard a lot of stupid ideas.

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:48 pm

LivefromChico...your gist is correct. It is a proposed super league and it may be the only saving grace for alot of indyball if they can pull it off. The more I think about it the better it seems. Reasons: there will be 4 diff ceo's having input into the mix of schedules, salary, travel and rules. Alot of travel...yes...but from what I have heard they will play witin their div about 48 gms and vs another div closer by, 24 games, culminating in a playoff structure of 16 teams(4 each) then down to a div champ, then down to an overall league champ. Not a bad idea and if it saves alot of teams, GREAT! Alot to be be discussed and drawn out I'm sure but it may be the last best effort.
Not sure how the GBL teams will breakout, but Chico is still a guess, as is Yuma, and for sure Maui. OC is still trying to take over but there is alot of debt and bills to be decided on before that becomes a reality. I think Calgary, Edmon are the only sure things on the GBL side of this.
But, a really good winter discussion if nothing else...still some time for the players to jump, but they likely will have to jump to the new league which would be a real interesting trading pool.
Baseball is Life

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

We're on the Internet. We're ALL doing whatever it is from afar.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:50 pm

[quote=""Zeyes""]Just out of curiosity, how many more times will you be posting these repetitive anti-BPD rants until you feel you've sufficiently made the point to us deluded rubes reading this forum?
[/quote]
According to the upper-right of this post under my hometown, I have over 2200 posts--all bashing Ballparkdigest I think. You won't have to endure this much longer, I'm certain. Even I get tired. 8)

[quote=""Zeyes""]
If you actually read BPD instead of just complaining about it from afar, you just might have seen their About page at some point, including its "Contributing writers" section. (Where you got the idea that "anyone can contribute" is completely beyond me.) Even with their no-bylines policy, I'm positive they'd be kind enough to direct you to the author of a particular post if you actually voiced specific disagreement with it instead of your nebulous "unsubstantiated drivel" accusations.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Yes, I viewed the About Page. I've also viewed their About Page before you provided a link and I still can't make heads or tails out of where this so-called news comes from. You said, "Where you got the idea that anyone can contribute is completely beyond me". Well, I got the idea near the bottom of each BPD so-called news feature like this one:
http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201011163 ... can-league
Share your news with the baseball community. Send it to us at editors@augustpublications.com.
Share your news and send it to us, sure sounds like anyone can contribute to me.

My point is, because of the Internet there is ample access to legitimate news. Unfortunately, because of the Internet there is also ample access to faux news. This faux news only serves to cloud issues.

babaseball
Site Admin

Post by babaseball » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:21 pm

[quote=""LivefromChico""]OK, let me see if I have this straight since all of what you guys are writing about is news to me. The concept, as I understand it, is to take the surviving teams from four indy leagues across the country and combine them to form some sort of "super" indy league with four divisions made up of four teams each? Is that the basic gist of the idea?

So if that's the case, does that mean that you would only play in your division, or would you be expected to travel out of division? And what teams are making up the "west" division in this fantasy league? If Chico is included, that would be interesting news. From what I understand, the Outlaws folks are trying like hell to represent that they'll be here next season, but as of now, there's no contract in place to my knowledge.

To be honest, this sounds like one of the stupidest ideas I've heard of, and being around the Outlaws for so many years, trust me when I say I've heard a lot of stupid ideas.[/quote]

As someone who has been around the Outlaws for a while as well, I can't even see it making sense financially to operate the team this year. With all of the bad press they got from Linscheid at the conclusion of the season, I can't see an already shrinking list of prospective sponsors wanting to jump back on board. I'm sure their one remaining founding partner (Enloe) is going to (or already has) tell them to take a hike. It's going to be hard to go into December or January without a single ticket or sponsorship sold for 2011, even if they do end up getting a lease. Besides a few host families and boosters, most of Chico seems like they could care less whether or not the Outlaws are back next season.

I can't see three league on the verge of failure coming together to make a successful "super league". It make help alleviate some of the travel expenses that have plagued the GBL over the past few seasons, but it won't magically fix the problems that are facing many of the teams in these leagues. I think it's more a sign of desperation than a sign that things are on there way up.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Oops... not so fast on the super league.

http://ballparkbiz.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... more-12098

I didn't realize the city government could decide in what league a team plays.

I agree with babaseball. Still confused on how a bunch of broke, evicted, hated in their towns, no money teams can possibly make such an undertaking work. Saying you have this super league doesn't give anyone any more cash to operate. Has there been any sort of real announcement of a plan for this?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote=""smallballfan""]Oops... not so fast on the super league.

[/quote]

If you're playing in a stadium that the city owns, that city can certainly make it a stipulation of a lease agreement.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Chris Daleo, Director of Operations for the Riverhawks was on wxrx radio in Rockford today and basically said, they are exploring their options, which includes the rumored 4 division super league. Ideally he said they would like to stick with the other remaining Northern league teams because of the natural rivalries due to distance from one another. The thing that worries them the most about the super league with the GBL is the question marks that remain on some of the teams. If they sell out a homestand for a team from Cali, they want to make sure that team shows up. The way that would work is you play most of the schedule with your division and each team makes a swing through the each of 3 divisions. That would result on like a 2 week road trip a few times a year, but how costs would be shared weren’t addressed.

Daleo also said the door is open to move over to the American Association or to rejoin the Frontier league. In the end they hope to settle on something soon.

Jntg4
Site Admin

Post by Jntg4 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm

The NAL will go ahead even without Joliet, BTW. The are adding Tijuana, which makes 15 teams, the same number as with Joliet and not Tijuana. Then they'll add either Omaha or Yuma, or even both and maybe another to make 16 or 18 teams total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 pm

[quote=""smallballfan""]Oops... not so fast on the super league.

I agree with babaseball. Still confused on how a bunch of broke, evicted, hated in their towns, no money teams can possibly make such an undertaking work. Saying you have this super league doesn't give anyone any more cash to operate. Has there been any sort of real announcement of a plan for this?[/quote]

I doubt the city of Joliet knows much about a super league. Afterall, it was only the Rockford Riverhawks who leaked the original announcement. From the same article:
Just who we is, is the question. The city’s minor league team, the JackHammers, is deep in debt and trying to negotiate a sale. Reportedly, a letter of intent to sell the team has been signed, but no sale was completed as of Tuesday.
A letter of intent to sell the team has been signed?!? That's basically the same thing the Schaumburg Flyers are saying. I agree. A super-league sounds like desperation to me. These letters of intent sound like desperation as well. Either they've got actual buyers or they don't have actual buyers...but what buyer would purchase one of these teams with baggage when they can start fresh with a new franchise?

Return to “GBL”