Seals Lost

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
Kanuck
Site Admin

Seals Lost

Post by Kanuck » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 am

A sad day in Victoria folks. Looks like our Seals are done after the owner, Mr Parker, and the city could not hammer out a deal over the city-owned stadium.
More to follow as it all unfolds.
:-(

indyproball
Site Admin

oh?

Post by indyproball » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:03 pm

What league would Victoria play? I wasn't aware of a league out there still.....

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:54 pm

wow. that's a shame, but I know the union pay scale requirements in the city really ran the costs up for the team.

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Sad indeed but maybe it wasn't the City, GBL or any other outside factor. Except maybe it was there is not much money to be made or maybe it just was not ran properly.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Wanted proof. At least I know where to look.

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Vic ... story.html
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 am

[quote=""Lunkhead""]Sad indeed but maybe it wasn't the City, GBL or any other outside factor. Except maybe it was there is not much money to be made or maybe it just was not ran properly.[/quote]

Once again Lunk you doubt without any research...Victoria was doing very well...read!!!!!
Baseball is Life

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 am

That just about ends it for the Vipers and the Capitals as well. Calgary and Edmonton are too far away from other leagues to make a go of it again like the Vipers and Cracker Cats tried to in the Northern League. Really a shame as the three Canadian teams were well run.

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 am

You are right on WallysWorld. Several of the Vipers have already started looking for new teams, and several are already gone to new teams. Players have not heard a thing and they need to play. I know Burky just signed a 2 yr deal but it looks like it may be for naught. Most of the players on all 3 Canadian teams were US and that gives them a better look at new reams in different leagues especially since the competition in the GBL is better than most leagues other than ATL and or the AA.
I hope the players can all land on their feet and continue their playing days. But, times are tough and some may have to face the music and get a job. The UL is facing the same problems as the GBL, as is the CanAM and the Frontier...lots of ownership issues. All contracts are void after the 15th so we'll see where it all goes.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 am

How do you get out of a garbage league and a franchise agreement with that league? "Cease operations", form a new corporation (or the Canadian equivalent) and start over with another league.

What league that is, who knows? Maybe a college wood-bat, there's at least three that I could find in the West - the Far West, West Coast and the California Collegiate. Probably too far away for the CC, but who knows. The West Coast has their schedule out but that can always be changed. Maybe some of the remnants of the GL will come together, but really there's not much there to work with.

Can't believe good baseball guys like the Parkers seem to be would give up on it.

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:55 am

Man, what's up with this league? They should start anew from top to bottom. Check out this article about the GBL from espn.com. Sounds like a scam they got going on. Driving from Tijuana to BC? Guys not getting paid?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ortCat=mlb

Return to “GBL”