Tucson Future?

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
babaseball
Site Admin

Tucson Future?

Post by babaseball » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 pm

It sounds like AAA is coming in for at least a year and Zucker wants operate the team.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/article_1ae ... 11ab0.html

AZdev
Site Admin

Post by AZdev » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm

This should be good for Tucson and TEP! The plan to play in Lake Elsinore sounded pretty sketchy to me all along. Why would the LE Storm want a AAA co-tenant sharing their park and competing for prime weekend dates, not to mention the two teams drawing from the same fan base.
This is a blow to the GBL though, If Tucson goes on hiatus, maybe they will field only 4-6 teams next year, should be interesting.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:41 am

Don't think it was a matter of what Elsinore wanted as much as what the Padres wanted.

Did anyone really think Tucson would return to the GL anyway? So that leaves who in the GL, the 3 Canadian teams? Are any of the other teams financially viable and/or have a place to play?

Makes sense if Zucker wants to run it for one year. No need to bring in a staff for one lame-duck year when he's got enough people there who ran the Toros. His GM was with the Sidewinders and knows the ballpark and area, so why not. I'm sure there's a check in it for Zucker for running the team for the Padres.

Will be interesting to see who the GL pulls out of a hat to play in 2011.

Hawk87
Site Admin

Post by Hawk87 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 am

"I'll voluntarily put my team on hiatus" screams outloud, THE TOROS AREN'T PROFITABLE!!!

Tucson was theeeee best thing the GBL had, better than the Canadian cities. Without it, the league should join the Northern League behind the woodshed for their lead lullabies.

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:54 pm

[quote=""Hawk87""]Tucson was theeeee best thing the GBL had, better than the Canadian cities.[/quote]

What?!!!

While I agree that Tucson was a model franchise, the three Canadian teams are also expertly run and had no problems through the season. In each of the Canadian cities, there is very good ownership. It's the poorly run American teams (not Tucson, of course) in the GBL that are ruining the league.

AZdev
Site Admin

Tomorrow!

Post by AZdev » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:36 am

Jay Zucker is to make an announcement Monday on the fate of the Toros for 2011. It sounds like the AAA Beavers are definitely coming, so not sure how I feel about two teams playing here. On the plus side there would be plenty of Baseball Games to attend this summer. They would be going head to head from the end of May through August, which is a great deal of the AAA Season, but not all. This could work since they would play in separate parks. I would go to both I know, but not sure about other fans..I enjoy both parks very much and would be glad to see them both being used. Having said that I am guessing they will be putting the Toros on hold next year anyway.
Maybe they could play in Yuma for a year?? Or maybe, just thought of this...the Toros could merge with Yuma for a year like the Pitt-Cards and Steagles of the NFL in the Forties....just ideas...we'll know tomorrow.

AZdev
Site Admin

Post by AZdev » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:52 pm

It's official The Toro's will be on hiatus in 2011. What now for the Golden Baseball League. It would be good to have indy ball in the West/Pacific Coast Area, but just not many options in terms of places to play. It seems the CA teams rely on College Stadiums who charge high rents. I don't think private stadiums would be built for a Golden League Team..We'll see what happens in Fullerton with their proposal, but that is not for sure....So 2011 Calgary,Edmonton,Victoria and probably O.C...they better start looking!

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 am

Don't count Yuma out, the GL's been propping them up for years to get attention for their summer and winter league scams. Though what happened this year may be too much for even the city to let them back in the stadium.

Is Hawaii out? They should be, but who knows.

They hired an accountant to run the league, that should tell you where their focus is. Not on viable baseball businesses, but the bottom line. I don't know the inner workings, but I remember reading that the Safeway-Vons money was for five years, and the league just finished year six. Big backer's money runs out, Kaval bails?

I haven't seen a single poster here in months that hopes the GL comes back. That should tell Outcalt and his gang that the writing's on the wall. But like a cockroach after an atomic bomb, they seem to survive. It's a shame.

LivefromChico
Site Admin

Chico still in the mix...incredibly enough

Post by LivefromChico » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 am

So it appears that the outlaws didn't quite do enough to piss off everyone. Rumor is that they are coming back in 2011. Ads in the local rag advertising season tickets already. Supposedly a one year deal with the school - hope they get their money in advance cause if they bring in another 300 per game like last year, the dollars won't be there at the end of the season. Frankly, my flabber is gasted.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Hm, put an ad in the paper, collect season ticket money from the four people actually dumb enough to buy them, then 'go on hiatus' and keep the money.

The GL would never do such a thing, would they?

Return to “GBL”