Tucson Future?

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:17 pm

And then there were 4...or 5 left. This is a move most knew was coming. Tucson will make $$ doing their thing in related baseball venues. Allstar game, spring training for canadian teams etc, and make $$. The players will disperse to other leagues and tryouts should be fierce at spring training at High Corbett.
The other news that hasn't surfaced yet...Sources say, is Maui is probably out, and OC will be a real hard sell with no fans to support them and high rent at CSF. Rumor has it that Chico will continue, but I'm not of that belief...maybe at best. And no Eri Yoshida show...do you really want to know what she made? I doubt it! and I doubt the players would like to know either. It was a nice try, but she is way out of her league, and it costs the GBL a fortune.
If the gbl makes it it will be a miracle and with 4-5 teams...Maybe? Yuma...a real disaster and it will never make it thru the season...so hold on folks and maybe we will see a cut back schedule and a season.
Last edited by TOROSFAN on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp chk
Baseball is Life

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:44 pm

Please find me someone who actually believes the Toros will be back in 2012? There's no league for them to play in unless this Pecos/Whatever League becomes something in 2011.

They're going to run 'baseball-related' activities in 2011? Are you going to Hi Corbett for a Thursday night drunkfest, with no game surrounding it? Nah. I think I missed what All-Star game and spring training would be played in Tucson in 2011, can someone explain? Do the Canadian teams come there for training even if there's no Toros or GL?

Seems like Zucker wants baseball to continue, and good for him on that count. Also good for him for ditching the GL and seeing what plays out. But if he's truly lost a million dollars on the GL, as he says, he is dumber than can be conceived if he hooks up with that bunch again.

Agree, the GL is probably down to the Canadian teams, all of which are now scrambling for another place to play. I hope they find it.
Last edited by smallballfan on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AZdev
Site Admin

St

Post by AZdev » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 pm

The Edmonton team did come come to Tucson last year for spring training. They played a few spring training games against the Toro's. So this year the Capitals and Calgary Vipers are slated to play at Hi Corbett for spring training.
I don't think these teams can find a new league and may have to stick with GBL another year, if it still running!....or like someone suggested start their own league in NW... never heard anything more on Kamloops as a possible GBL city....although their stadium appears to be quite small, on par with Maui's park. What happened to Palm Springs?? they announced last year that they would be joining the GBL by 2011 at latest. I guess they are sticking with 'unbalanced schedules' Collegiate ball....not that the GBL was balanced!

AZdev
Site Admin

Correction

Post by AZdev » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Just checked and the So.Cal Collegiate League actually plays an equal number of games, unlike the Golden League..don't know if truely balanced..ie all teams play each other the same number of times. Actulally that is my main complaint with the GBL, the disparity of total games played...not to mention that some teams did not play each other H/R. Last Year OC never came to Tucson, Chico didn't play in Maui until Finals. Victoria didn't play TJ on the road (not their fault). At least the same number of times within the same division would be nice.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 pm

I got the impression the GL announced the Palm Springs deal as a retaliation to the guy there who runs his own winter league, trying to trump his operation and maybe run him out of town. Haven't seen a word on Palm Springs since then, so I'm assuming it didn't work.

There's also a college wood bat league in Washington/Oregon with a team in Kelowna, BC, might be a good fit for at least Victoria. In that situation, travel would be much less, and players can't get paid. Operational costs would be much less and there would still be a few months of baseball in town.

Does anyone know if Yuma, OC, St. George, Hawaii, even still have an office open?

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Tucson Spring Training

Post by TOROSFAN » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 am

Wow..does anyone really think Edm and Cal will go to Tucson for ST...why? after the trip and $$ spent who will they play? LY they had Yuma and Tucson and ST G...Yuma will not field a team that could beat a HS team, if they even field a team. ST G done, and Tucson done...maybe Chico 3-4 games IF they field a team this year, and OC??? Not going to happen without teams to play. The canadian teams already are tired of playing each other so much, so I don't see ST working at all.
Spoke to a Maui writer and he says things are very bad for a return season in Maui...it could happen by a miracle , but with no $$ to start and no other teams on an island, my vote would be a no way. And who can afford the 20,000 to go there and play homers again? Also, a lot of players have already started sending stats and emails to other leagues for employment, SO alot of talent will be gone before the season even gets to ST. Look at the transactions...none so far kepping their players under current contracts using their options...maybe you will see canadian teams exercising options but the others?? Has to be done by 11/15 I do believe...getting close. That will give us a good idea of the health of the GBL.
Should be interesting.
Baseball is Life

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Good point, last year the Canadian teams trained in Tucson and stayed to start the season with the southern teams.

Thing is, the GL always seems to find suckers willing to throw some money in and chase that dream of being the 'Owner of the Blah Blah City Ho-Hums', at least enough to get them to the next season. The thing that might change is that with Kaval gone, there's no used car salesman to double-talk them into writing that check and giving Kaval/Outcalt their cut of franchise fees.

Don't know if not renewing players affects things all that much. If I open an office on April 1, 2011, have a phone number and say I have a team, players will come out of the woodwork to play. Filling a roster, at least with bodies, is never a problem. Just depends on if I care how good my team is.

Be interesting to watch from afar, but I sure wouldn't want to be a part of it.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:51 am

News from Tucson..

http://ballparkbiz.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... more-11697

No mention of Zucker or the current staff of the Toros. Seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the new ballpark in Escondido as well.

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:04 am

I see no need to mention Zucker. He is not involved in the Padres deal and has his own problems not being able to field a team for 2011...am I missing something? I doubt they will ever see the GBL again, especially if the Escondido deal falls through for the Padres.
Baseball is Life

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Why does Torosfan always have the insight to everything, he does not work within the GBL, he doesnot own a team, He does not work for a team but he knows more than anybody else. And that is from Tucson to Canada, to Maui. What wisdom and insight, get a f**king life and stop telling people that Maui, OC and others won't be back, and that the Canadians are the gods of this League and of course Tucson. Blog about the game not about false rumors that you feel are necessary.

Return to “GBL”