Maui vs. Chico

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
GBL South Rules
Site Admin

Losing your grasp...

Post by GBL South Rules » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm

[quote=""stg2010 front office""]fine, guys...dream on.

Maui earned it all, themselves.

Got no preferential treatment and didn't have homer umps during the regular season.

The GBL is a well run organization with quality leadership from ethical, conscientious individuals like Kaval, Outcalt, and Marshall.

The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are alive and well.[/quote]

I've noticed that you've made both factual and insightful posts in the past. But your replay above has no basis in fact. I've already refuted you're point on adding a player being added after the trade deadline as well as several other points you've made out of frustration; not fact. Everything going on in the GBL doesn't have to be related; thus not necessary to bring into an unrelated discussion. When you do, it notes the level of your frustration. That's unfortunate for someone with otherwise good insight.

High Heat
Site Admin

Post by High Heat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 pm

[quote=""stg2010 front office""]fine, guys...dream on.

Maui earned it all, themselves.

Got no preferential treatment and didn't have homer umps during the regular season.

The GBL is a well run organization with quality leadership from ethical, conscientious individuals like Kaval, Outcalt, and Marshall.

The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are alive and well.[/quote]

This is a hilarious post. I actually laughed out loud (there HAS to be an easier way of saying that).

Look, let's assume that even if an umpire forces called strikes out of the zone a few times a game (speaking about ethics here). In the great game of baseball the better team will emerge in seven games played in six days.

A quick look at the scoreboard bears this out. Hell, even TJ snuck a win in back in the first home stand. StG was swept in a SEVEN GAME SERIES. You can cry foul all you want, but no amount of umpire tinkering or collusion can be made to take the fall.

I seem to remember a grand slam off an OC bat that was clearly foul (ok, the tree branch fell in fair territory), but you know what? THAT is baseball. Happens even at the highest level (see: perfect game that wasn't early in 2010).

But it seems you'll get your wish, and Maui will play the rest of the season in California. Too bad, too. It would have been nice to have the chance to win it at Iron Maehara.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm

GBL south:
You're misreading my frustration with the scumbags running the GBL as a personal problem with the Maui team.

As you know quite well, the Maui president was also the GM of the STG team. We held a benefit for Cory's daughter, we injected a substantial amount of the STG owner's cash into Maui which we could have used ourselves, it turns out.

The player transaction to which I referred was made after the trade deadline. That's a fact. O.C. and Maui were allowed to make those roster moves because they allowed their players to sign with MLB teams. Good for the players, good for them. That's why the league exists, ostensibly. (Personally, I think it exists for the personal enrichment of Kaval, Outcalt et cie).
The question is; could Calgary or Chico have signed players at that point in time, having not lost players?
If so, I sit corrected.

High Heat? take another hit of that Maui Wowee and keep giggling. The umpiring during the STG series sweep is exactly the kind of crap homer umpiring I'm talking about. The same crap we ran into with college teams which travelled to Hawaii. The Maui announcer found himself nonplussed on several occasions with some of the calls. The team just wanted to get the hell out of there, by the last couple of games.

Once again, slowly, so you can grasp the concept; My problem is NOT with the team. Maui played with the umps provided and were able to talk the league into letting them minimize travel. Good for them. But don't try to sell us on the bogus proposition that they played on a level playing field with the other teams.

Just enjoy the fact that they are playing for the championship. JustinTv will be broadcasting the games. Decent video and a darned good announcer. Enjoyable chat room during the game broadcast, too.

Theirish
Site Admin

Post by Theirish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 am

Hold on STG, your telling me that St. George got swept because of bad umpiring...how about it was because Maui wooped on St. George you can't blame the umps for score such as 10-3, 9-2, 6-1, 5-1. St. George had two close games and that was the last two games...congrats they almost figured us out after 7 games. You seem to know alot and saying that you aren't affliated with St. George Roadrunners seems absurd to me because explain to me how you would know so much.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:57 pm

You're right, Irish. Blaming the sweep on the umps, only, was pretty lame on my part. However, some of those games were ump'ed so poorly that the guys just folded, in my opinion.

Again, Maui didn't pick the umps, but it is no secret the Hawaiian umps are notorious homers. Just a fact. Teams know it and deal with it or not.

I think you misconstrued what I said in my post about my affiliation with the team/city. I don't live in STG. I did front office (and other) work for the team.

Stlll wear my RR hat ;-)

My2cents
Site Admin

Post by My2cents » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Rosters could expand from 22 players to 25 players on one day and one day only, Sunday August 15 up to I believe 11:59 PM PST. The only other opportunity to add a player after the August 15 date was either through the loss of player to injury or contract purchase from the MLB.

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 am

[quote=""GBL South Rules""]So much for sea level verses +4000 feet...

So much of Mike Marshal not having a clue...

So much for strength of schedule...

So much for 3 or 4 travel trips (Chico will have a total of 2 while Maui will only make 1)

So much for Chico unloading all their talent...

So much for leading the league in home runs...

So much for backing into the playoffs...

So much for Chico's new management not wanting to win in the playoffs...

Like ALL post season baseball, it comes down to pitching. Chico and Maui had the two lowest ERA's this season and 2 of the 3 lowest batting average against.

It will be in interesting series as Maui's top 2 pitchers have just pitched on short rest and unlikely to be available until games 3 and 4.[/quote]

"So much for the South ruling anything"

How is that working out for you South Rules????

If Maui played on the mainland they wouldn't have made the playoffs...face it you are a HOMER!! No more BS!!
Baseball is Life

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:11 am

HighHeat...it's all about the lack of Hawaii...no warm beds, no lying around waiting for the next gimme...and how is the series working for you??? How is that ROAD treating them???...oh I see now it's oh poor Maui...poor boys have to travel...not fair...it all comes to pass when you have been pampered throughout...ALOHA!!
Baseball is Life

High Heat
Site Admin

Post by High Heat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am

Chico is obviously the hottest team in the league (I read they swept that one team from Canada to reach the Championship series). Sometimes in life (i.e. baseball) there is actual adversity. Should be a fun weekend. Hopefully three more games left in the season. Isn't that what we are all rooting for? Game Five on a blustery September Monday in Wailuku? If you're not, well...

GBL South Rules
Site Admin

Toro Toro Toro...

Post by GBL South Rules » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am

It must suck to have your team not make the playoffs, then have your pick to win it get swept (twice at home).

Boy, Calgary's SOS and HR record record really panned out for your pick...

My team went farther; period!

BTW, it's not over yet...we got the HOMER advantage. Lovin' in and usin' it.

Better luck next year chump!!!
:eek:

Your HOMER friend

Return to “GBL”