GBL Future?

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
Kanuck
Site Admin

GBL Future?

Post by Kanuck » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 am

As a fan from up North in Victoria I just had to vent here. Having spoken with the Seals owner and players and many visiting players coming through here I am amazed at the dedication of these players and coaches. Tijuana, Yuma, Maui and now St. George, all with problems. Does the GBL actually screen potential owners?
I feel very sorry for the players, coaches and fans of these teams.

J.J. Smith
Site Admin

Post by J.J. Smith » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 am

Future of the GBL? Well, it's been discussed that their business model was fundamentally flawed and that at some point they could no longer kick the financial can down the road. It seems the can has hit the wall. Time for the solvent teams to look for a new league to play in.

Lunkhead
Site Admin

Post by Lunkhead » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:20 am

Maybe you should discuss things you know about and not write garbage on the blog. How, do you know the financial situation of Maui or for that matter any team. Do not always believe what the wonderful GBL puts out in the news. They are the magic men.

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:21 pm

[quote=""E-TownCaps""]This is the solution to the 2011 season reduce the number teams from 10 to 6, that being Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Chico, Tucson, and Orange County. Have a 70 game schedule 35 home/away, 14 games vs each team. Get rid of the North and South divisions and have an overall standings throughout the year. Top 4 teams advance to the playoffs 1 playing 4, 2 playing 3 and so on. By scrapping 4 teams it will reduce cost of traveling attract better talent and bring a better product to the ball park for the fans. It's time for the GBL to get back respectability and build a solid foundation and go from there.[/quote]

Six teams are not enough for the GBL rump to survive. The three Canadian might have to consider rejoining the Northern League again (except Victoria wasn't in the NL, of course). There's not enough baseball interest for expansion in western Canada except maybe one or two teams at the most.

But I agree, the GBL has to clean house after the season and go with the strong teams. Maybe a merger with the United League might be in order?

At least Yuma has a potential owner interested: http://www.yumasun.com/news/team-62838- ... eague.html
Last edited by WallysWorld on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinsan
Site Admin

Post by Sinsan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

What? are you talking about? Wonderful GBL? magic men? not happening

elpaso
Site Admin

Post by elpaso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Here is my two cents.

I spoke with two former Yuma players. One of them stated that the GBL was just a ponzi scheme.

The travel alone is sucking up assets on every team. Travel from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and then around trips to Hawaii for every team.

Tijuana was the biggest mistake ever made.

I was at a Yuma game in June. The actual attendance may have been around 50.

St. George is hanging on a thread and the previous owner must be glad he sold the team last year.

Looking at the OC schedule, most of the time they play a single game and a double header. This must be from their high rental costs.

You don’t want travel teams. The Continental League just finished their 4th season and folded. They have two real teams and two travel teams that were a joke. Now, the Pecos Baseball League with the same teams for 2011.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 pm

[quote=""elpaso""]

St. George is hanging on a thread and the previous owner must be glad he sold the team last year.
[/quote]

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=4063505

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:56 pm

A good number of leagues are ponzi schemes. This one happens to be less well executed.

A league with Maui amongst mainlanders should collapse by, oh, about now.

Even a league without Maui has too big a jump from OC (if they survive) to Calgary and Edmonton.

Victoria was actually in the Northwest League once. I doubt Royal Athletic passes their standards. However, college wood-bat in the Northwest is taking on a life of its own- that seems appropriate for Victoria under current circumstances.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

ca
Site Admin

dont think the gbl is the only loop ...

Post by ca » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 pm

with woes as dumb (or spoiled or lazy ) owners are all over north america

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 am

It's very important to understand: if the days of family-run-and-passed-down sports teams ever existed, it certainly doesn't now.

Most owners come in dumb, that's just the lay of the land, and you can merely hope they grow a brain before they fail. The odds are against.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “GBL”