GBL Future?

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
LivefromChico
Site Admin

GBL future

Post by LivefromChico » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:42 am

You all are mentioning that the GBL will be back in Chico next year. Don't count on it. They don't have a lot of friends here, just put it that way.

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm

[quote=""DoyleG""]Actually, baseball been on a decline at all levels since the mid 90s even with the idea of a recent upswing. Much of the change has to do with the fact that minor league baseball left and that MLB has left Montreal and T.O. has seen its fortunes decline. GBL may seem to have the fans to support it, but it doesn't have the same footprint that was found in the minor league system (there used to be 4 minor league teams in Alberta).The only true growing sports in Canada are soccer and basketball. They took off at the same time baseball started to go into a decline.[/quote]

I would disagree with you about the growth of soccer and basketball in Canada. Sure there will be three Canadians team in MLS in a few years but outside the 20,000 or so that support Toronto FC right now (and later Vancouver and Montreal), the rest of Canada doesn't give a hoot about soccer. Toronto FC's ratings on CBC are terrible at only 57,000 viewers across Canada. Blue Jays broadcasts get in the 150-300,000 range at their worst while CFL's ratings are hovering around 800,000 to 1 million viewers. Soccer will always be a niche sport in Canada no matter how many Canadians play organized soccer.

Same thing with basketball as the Raptors are barely followed outside of Toronto. Personally I know of absolutely no one that follows NBA basketball here in Calgary.

That being said, there probably is a market in Canada for minor league baseball teams that can average around 1,500 to 2,000 per game. Winnipeg is obviously an expection when it comes to the Goldeyes, but then again the AAA Cannons drew great crowds here in Calgary for about a decade before finally fading.

DoyleG
Site Admin

Post by DoyleG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 am

[quote=""WallysWorld""]I would disagree with you about the growth of soccer and basketball in Canada. Sure there will be three Canadians team in MLS in a few years but outside the 20,000 or so that support Toronto FC right now (and later Vancouver and Montreal), the rest of Canada doesn't give a hoot about soccer. Toronto FC's ratings on CBC are terrible at only 57,000 viewers across Canada. Blue Jays broadcasts get in the 150-300,000 range at their worst while CFL's ratings are hovering around 800,000 to 1 million viewers. Soccer will always be a niche sport in Canada no matter how many Canadians play organized soccer.

Same thing with basketball as the Raptors are barely followed outside of Toronto. Personally I know of absolutely no one that follows NBA basketball here in Calgary.

That being said, there probably is a market in Canada for minor league baseball teams that can average around 1,500 to 2,000 per game. Winnipeg is obviously an expection when it comes to the Goldeyes, but then again the AAA Cannons drew great crowds here in Calgary for about a decade before finally fading.[/quote]

Basing your assumption on TV ratings is a rather weak one. The 300,000 level for Jays broadcasts is their high level and is well down from its peak. At that point, the viewership doesn't extend beyond Southern Ontario, which only confirms the decline.

Active participation in baseball has been on the decline in Canada ever since the mid-90's and has been backed up by active research into the subject. Its already evident in the way baseball works in Canada today, from grassroots all the way up to the provincial league.

OttawaBallFan
Site Admin

Post by OttawaBallFan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 pm

> That being said, there probably is a market in Canada for minor league baseball teams that can average around 1,500 to 2,000 per game.

Agree. But that discounts AAA and even AA ball. The best is A-ball and even short season, especially for northern cities. Besides, right now I don't think the minors want teams in Canada, the International League certainly doesn't. If it wasn't for independent leagues, there'd be no professional baseball in Canada.

ChicoOutlawsFan
Site Admin

Post by ChicoOutlawsFan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm

I have a feeling that there is NO future with the GBL anymore. The fans in Chico would usually celebrate a big championship like this year's GBL Championship, but with no parade and celebration in the City Plaza, it looks as though the GBL has wore out its welcome in Chico. Too bad for Chico because the Outlaws have become a puppet for the league. Hope bringing minor league baseball to Chico will help fans forget about the GBL.

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 pm

If I'm Tucson, I would leave for the AA for a year and then join the Atlantic League.

ChicoOutlawsFan
Site Admin

Post by ChicoOutlawsFan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:26 am

[quote=""LivefromChico""]You all are mentioning that the GBL will be back in Chico next year. Don't count on it. They don't have a lot of friends here, just put it that way.[/quote]

Not anymore, at least. Although now they are starting to hope for single-A ball in the future at a new stadium, should one be built.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:59 am

There's no suitable, lighted ballpark in Portland, that's why the AAA team left. Tucson isn't 'all but' gone, it's gone, per the announcement yesterday. Don't know that much about OC or Chico except what I read, and I never believe what I read from the GL. Seems neither place wants them back, the only people who appear to believe they'll return is the GL staff, and they're paid (or in most cases, not paid) to say that. Joining the UL or the remaining NL is a pretty bad option due to travel costs. Look what happened with Hawaii this year.

The GL can't afford to pay players, hotel bills, staff, etc,. No reason to believe they have the wherewithal to travel all over the continent. Don't know where that leaves the solid organizations in Canada, which sucks for the good people trying to make baseball work.

Guess we'll find out next spring when the big announcement comes out about the new Tijuana, etc., teams.
Last edited by smallballfan on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Maui or OC???

Post by LaVidaLoca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Ok..latest news from a very good source!

Maui taken over by OC... TRUE...OC has taken over the Maui franchise with Maui ownership out. A lot of bills to be paid by former Maui people but the deal is done. Don't know the particulars of team name, mgmt etc, but the move is on. Don't know how they will afford it as former team owners couldn't, but I guess they will give it a go. Maybe former owners will buy a team on another island...who knows..maybe 4 teams now...I'm sure the deal fell through for OC 's new stadium so they had to do something. Also, RUMOR is thst Capitals are all but gone. Will know more on that at a later date. Aloha GBL

LaVidaLoca
Site Admin

Post by LaVidaLoca » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:39 pm

I can only tell you that there are many leagues that want the Canadian teams and Edmonton is probably the first to go...they are a great franchise as are the 2 others in Canada, but that is what I was told...it's not a secret that they are not happy in the GBL. They can sell tickets to whatever league they decide to go...the fans don't care, they just want good baseball...I will say the fans will be unhappy if they cannot play the Seals and the Vipers, but you have to go where your franchise is profitable and successful and the GBL is neither.
Once again, you have seen no action by any team in the transactions on the GBL web. That's because many teams have been looking elsewhere and none are ready to commit to the GBL. If they do commit, you will see a 1 year deal. Many of the good solid players are already out there looking to move to AA, Can-am, Atl and others leagues to play. It is Nov 4 and most of the player contracts expire Nov 15...a lot will happen soon...just wait.

Return to “GBL”