Yuma Folds? Golden League front office lies to players

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
On_foot
Site Admin

Yuma Folds? Golden League front office lies to players

Post by On_foot » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:42 pm

The Yuma Sun reported on July 13th that players have not been getting paid. Its been over 50 days since they received a pay check. And now it seems they are not even getting meal money.

Some have quit, but most of them stay because they can't afford a ticket home. Only eating leftovers at the concession stands after games.

When the team traveled to Canada yesterday, the Edmonton Joural reported the Edmonton team owner paid for the hotel bill for the Yuma team. And player were given meal money for only 4 days of a two week road trip.

Where is the Golden League now? They once stated they had so much money in sponcers that they did not have to sell a ticket for 5 years.

Where is Kevin Outcalt and David Kaval now? They promised the players weeks ago that if Yuma did not pay them that the league would pay them.

Now they are hiding, not returning voice mail and dancing around direct questions while these players are starving. I bet they are still getting paid.

In my book both of them have no back-bone.

oldfatguy
Site Admin

Post by oldfatguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:01 am

Not to defend the GL in any way, but I think it's fairly common for the home team to pay the visitors hotel bill. For instance, when Chico goes to Tucson, Tucson pays the hotel bill, and the same when Tucson goes there.
That lets each home team make marketing deals for local hotels.
Now, the rest of it is apalling. I looked at the Yuma newspaper web site. A couple of the stories there said they are not contractually obligated to pay the players on time, players can file a grievance.
Well, didn't Lincoln abolish that sort of thing in the 1860s? Also, who hears the grievance, the guys who aren't paying the players?
Amazing that these guys are allowed to have a business. Please just stop ruining baseball for so many people.
Last edited by oldfatguy on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sinsan
Site Admin

GBL is hiding

Post by Sinsan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 pm

The same thing is happening to the Tijuana team that is happening to Yuma. The GBL re-structured this team,promised to put them in a 28 story hotel compound in TJ, and they ended up in a $20 a night dump with no air conditioning--they had to leave their doors open to get any air--real safe in Tijuana!
They have not been paid for 6 weeks,and don't get meal money very often,either. Nor do they get a spread after the games--unless a kind opposing manager takes pity , knowing their plight, and feeds them (that happened in Edmonton).
The GBL denies any connection to these guys, saying the team is privately owned, yet GBL is who put this team together! Now ,no one at GBL will answer their phones .
This team should be honored for their respect and loyalty to baseball--playing without eating properly is a real love of baseball. Whats going to happen when they get into the heat of Yuma next week? Who's going to supply the Gatorade? Oh yeh, someone will make lemonade that will give food poisoning to 25 people, that's how we roll!
Shamable!!!!!!

indyproball
Site Admin

Let GBL speak

Post by indyproball » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:36 pm

We cannot assume these are true statements. We need to hear from the GBL.
Rumor is that their once $500,000 team entry asking fee and now at zero.
With no new entry fees and if major sponsors get word of any of this, the GBL is done as we know it.
The bonafide teams, not league owned teams, will survive and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Hawk87
Site Admin

Post by Hawk87 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm certainly interested in where the information is coming regarding where the TJ team is now staying. I assumed the GBL would move them all to Yuma. Are you sure that the TJ team is actually playing and living in TJ??

The GBL is actually as strong as its ever been I believe. They truly have placed themselves second behind the Atlantic League in terms of quality of ballplayers I believe. The only problem is that the league is trying to make square pegs fit in round holes regarding TJ and Yuma.

Why did they ever believe an ownership in TJ would deliver on its promises, I'll never know. On the surface it sounds like a HORRIBLE idea, but GBL pursued it for years on end. Look what they've got now.

As far as Yuma, the fact that they weren't financially viable during the summer is no secret. Tucson draws just fine with comparable heat. The Yuma market itself just isn't going to support baseball, sans wintertime when the Canadian snowbirds will check out the AWL. But the AWL is successful due to the players fees, not butts in seats.

Not all blame can be put at the feet of the GBL higher-ups. How about team owners without the capital to endure losses and do the right thing. GBL should've vetted these guys better I guess.

The light at the end of the tunnel would be the operation of a new Palm Springs franchise next season. Otherwise, there isn't much rumor going on about expansion markets that might work. I think the Hawaii team was a horrible idea and logically is costing a lot of money for teams in the league to travel there. If there's a nationwide realignment of indy leagues this coming off-season, the GBL could go after El Paso to create a viable rival with Tucson. Snagging Winnipeg from the NL would create a Canadian division. But there's not much else out West to go after.

Palm Springs and a logically created fourth Canadian team could replace TJ/Yuma next year. St. George may not be back. Tucson may have a temporary AAA team in town next year. OC Flyers continue to draw nish in the largest market. Long Beach doesn't have a field to return too.

The quality of play has been built up, but the crowds aren't there and messing around with TJ was just plain idiotic.

Hawk87
Site Admin

Post by Hawk87 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:57 pm

And what's the deal...now that the Scorpions players who weren't paid are being distributed throughout the league, are the GBL brass just going to accept that they won't be paid for June and be happy they're being paid now??

Seems like a team not paying its players should be accountable. The blunders made in Yuma this spring, which is surprising since Peter Young is there, aren't good for the league if the GBL doesn't impose punishment. Calgary and Edmonton are practically free-agent AA ballclubs
Last edited by Hawk87 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

riverrider35
Site Admin

expansion rumors

Post by riverrider35 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi I know Im new here but here is a few rumors, hopefully a few of you can run with some of this and get so e more facts to go with them. I know for a fact the GBL has been snooping around Texas. It appears that Amarillo and San Angelo will leave the united league either for the Golden or American Asoc.
The GBL brass was also pushing hard to acquire Las Cruces from the CBL who denied them and are pursuing their own league the Pecos league as one of the 2 flagship teams in it. ( they could never support themselves in the GBL but Amarillo and San Angelo can) The GBL appears to be trying to establish a eastern division to go with a Canadian and western division. This would cut down travel cost. True Hawaii does hurt travel cost alot tho? Pam Springs appears to be in the GBL grasp they have managed to backdoor the Palm Spring power and its owner and take this one for their new franchise. Also this one might be a little far stretched but I have heard it first hand that if and when St. George leaves the plan might be to establish a new team in Pasadena. Their manager and coach live here so their could be their incentive to make that happen.

Does anyone have any info on how to contact Yuma or TJ coaches MAnagers or anyone. I have some good ball players that are interested in playing for some of these clubs but their websites have no contacts for either team I can find. I feel some of these players would be able to go in for cheaper and help out these club for the rest of the season. Any info would help on how to get in touch with a coach or GM or anyone in the organizations, even a contact # for the legaue who can direct me would be appreciated thank you

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 am

Just chiming in from Calgary with my thoughts. The NL's Winnipeg team won't join the GBL unless there is at least one more Canadian team in the GBL, but most likely two more teams are needed. I know Kamloops, Kelowna and Saskatoon are still the cities mentioned as most likely to host a GBL club. The three Canadian clubs are on pretty solid footing as long as all three survive.

On a side note, I went to the Tijuana-Vipers game last night and really enjoyed it, but can see that Tijuana is completely out-classed by the Vipers. But I'll give Tijuana credit though, they played their hearts out nearly keeping even with the number of hits the Vipers had. Tijuana just stranded a lot of players on base while Calgary managed to bat them in. Notably a small group of Mexican fans showed up for the game with drumsticks and noisemakers. Attendance was 1,113.

Sinsan
Site Admin

Post by Sinsan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:57 am

It's all well and good that the GBL is trying to expand into Texas, or Palm Springs--that's a nice stadium and area. And Hawaii was just a bad idea, very expensive! But, that doesn't get guys paid that are still being loyal to the GBL and playing for Yuma and Tijuana. Yeh, there's a lot of love for baseball, but everyone else is getting paid, and getting meal money,and these guys are getting nothing! Enough is enough--GBL needs to step up, keep their promises to these guys,and worry about the rest of THIS season. The Tijuana team doesn't even know where they are coming home to! Hopefully, it's Yuma, and no more Tijuana! That is just a bad idea!
The games between the Vipers and Tijuana this weekend were competitive--Tijuana gets lots of hits---nearly as many as the Vipers, they just don't cross the plate. Their pitching is pretty good. Their fielding leaves a little to be desired at times, but they are giving it all they got. And for what? For GBL to be thinking about next season and where and what stadium and town are available--not giving a flying fart about the guys they promised to take care of 6 weeks ago.

Sinsan
Site Admin

1/2 a payday

Post by Sinsan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 pm

So, let's see. Tijuana players had a payday of sorts yesterday. An envelope with their name on it, and cash in it for 2 weeks, with the promise of 2 more weeks pay when they get back to wherever--Yuma,,Tijuana? Who knows? Then, later that evening 3 players get traded to Yuma! Now, what happens to their back pay? Gone to the wind? Yuma isn't paying their players either, and when their players started complaining, guess what---they get released.
GBL gets worse everyday.

Return to “GBL”