Mike Marshall and his Wife will ruin the Outlaws!

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
YumaHeat
Site Admin

Post by YumaHeat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 am

Sean, I love stg2010 post up above and its to a "T" as to how he is, how can people not see he is the devil child, oh but wait he has a preacher everywhere he goes so he has that 30 minutes of praying to say he is a christian for 30 minutes outta the day, then he buries the hatchet..

sean
Site Admin

Post by sean » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:56 am

I will keep you posted - but somethings are going to go public here rt before the playoffs from what i hear. It's sad, because the team they put on the field to start the season was pretty damn good, and yet the players said it was the most miserable year of baseball they had ever dealt with because of what was going on behind closed doors and they would just tune out Marshall when he would show his face and do his routine.

YumaHeat
Site Admin

Post by YumaHeat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks Sean!! It sounds like a sad day in Chico is coming soon..

Hawk87
Site Admin

Post by Hawk87 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 am

Ok...so I asked for some substantial reasoning for the venom. I knew about Rose leaving, did not know about Franklin and Perisho. Veterans leaving in disgust is certainly a sign of trouble.

However, your rhetoric doesn't match any hard facts. Do you own a business that never was paid by the Scorpions, Yuma Heat? Sean, are you the ex-clubbie in Chico who saw things behind closed doors?

Here on the OSC sphere, we have a test called the "Joe Newman". The ABA is a blatant money grab. A league that does not play games is fraudulent. The GBL, money issues aside, plays their schedule somewhere realistically within 80-90%. In previous years, it was more stable and towards 100%. Ponzi scheme or not, the GBL has soldiers (some of us) on the ground who worked for too little money and made the baseball happen.

Everyone likes juicy gossip. However, the level of salacious slander regarding a sex scandal in Chico isn't very credible. Unpaid vendors, players, sponsors, etc...that's what I'm looking to hear.

Marshall probably draws a pretty solid salary (30k-40k) from the front office's Safeway nest-egg. I don't think he's malicious, he's just Dave and Kevin's foot solider. Iago to their Othello. If he isn't paying the checks, its because there's no money from the beast. Marshall is a baseball guy. He belongs in coaching, not front office work. Are those taking shots ever stand in the batters box in Dodger Stadium, in the World Series?

This could be the year the GBL finally folds. Obviously, the teams aren't profitable and the front office is running out of their initial start-up money. Did D&K make some dumb expansion ideas that put pressure on the whole financial system? YES! The league started the year with the talent bases and "name" markets (LA, Tucson, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Maui) to be the true "Atlantic League" of the west. However, with teams folding overnight and being propped up with "pay to play" youngsters, it killed the baseball integrity.

Chico is a great baseball city. The University wants to keep baseball in their stadium over the summer, and should look for an ownership group to bring in a summer collegiate team. The fans would come all the same, some Chico State players would be a draw, and the overheads would be much more indusive (sp?) to turning a profit. I don't think the University wants to sign on to the GBL ownership for another 2 or 3 year lease.

Soo...either spill the beans, or write something with substance and thought about the failings of the GBL.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:18 pm

sean and YumaHeat, tone it down. If you have legitimate gripes, list them. Childish name-calling helps no one. Also keep in mind that children read these boards. Clean it up.

stg2010 front office
Site Admin

Post by stg2010 front office » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 pm

@preeths; understood. I apologize for gratuitous name-calling. It's not productive.

please understand though, that some of us are, and have been for a bunch of years, fans and/or involved with the GBL as field or front office personnel.

What the league has devolved to is disgraceful. We toss the Ponzi word around pretty casually, given its criminal implications, but we do know what the word means and we do know what has gone on.

I have no respect for Marshall and his wife, based on their shameful behavior and track record, but I'd hate to see Mike Marshall take the fall for Kaval and Outcalt. There is NOTHING that takes place without tacit approval from them, if not their specific direction.

I have zero doubt that those two [insert appropriate descriptive here] would toss Marshall and his wife under the bus (if they could afford to charter one) in half a heartbeat, if it meant deflecting attention and possible legal action from themselves.

There are only two reasons I can think of, why the GBL cannot and will not become the "Atlantic League of the West".

LivefromChico
Site Admin

A lot to respond to

Post by LivefromChico » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Wow, so much information and opinion from folks - really fascinating reading!

I can just tell you that as someone who has been in Chico for all the years of the Outlaws, most of what I read about what a joke of an operation they are (and the GBL) is true. They have lied to sponsors, not paid bills to vendors as well as the University, and, most importantly, have done nothing to try and make themselves a "benefit" to the community. Their attendance numbers are a complete joke. I can guarantee you that when they say a night's attendance is 2,467 it means there were about 450 people in the stands. Everything is done with one thing in mind - "how will it make us money??" The sham of bringing in Yoshida was just that - a sham. Give the woman credit for being brave enough to go out there, but the bottom line is that it was all about "the show" and not about baseball. She was used, plain and simple, to line their pockets. She did not have the talent to compete at this level, but that didn't matter - it got them publicity and the whole HOF crap.

Trust me when I say the University has NO interest in working with this bunch of donkeys in the future. The GBL needs to be taken out behind the barn and put out of its misery. I'll give them credit for lasting a few years longer than I anticipated based on their operations, but it's time to stick a fork in them...because they're done.

YumaHeat
Site Admin

Post by YumaHeat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Hawk, first off I know of more then 5 businesses owed money, one a hotel, one a car rental and I wont say no more and trust me your salary at 30 to 40k, lol what a joke, try 60k +, sorry hawk but I know to the "T" what he makes, sorry to sound like a know it all but I do know the inside out on this league and the scorpions..

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 pm

[quote=""LivefromChico""]Everything is done with one thing in mind - "how will it make us money??" The sham of bringing in Yoshida was just that - a sham. Give the woman credit for being brave enough to go out there, but the bottom line is that it was all about "the show" and not about baseball.[/quote]

From the stats I've seen, I beg to differ.

I think this league doesn't last as long without the gimmicks.

Affiliated ball out west already pretty much saturates the market compared to points east. The metro areas are larger, the rural areas less populated. There's not enough places in California to escape the majors and minors, and the rest of the west is too spread out. For that matter, even the California League has been threatened with losing two franchises the last few years.

Independent ball in the Midwest and East serves many markets otherwise underserved. Out west, those markets are either taken, or too small, and too far apart.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

TOROSFAN
Site Admin

Post by TOROSFAN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 am

Plain and simple...NO MONEY!!!!!!! Pay the girl child the Humongus bucks and then get the fans in...and then...NO MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! Even the players think it was a big joke...embarrasing to real ball players to play behind...GBL in REAL trouble folks.
Baseball is Life

Return to “GBL”