Hawaii in the GBL for 2010?

The Golden Baseball League (GBL) forum
WallysWorld
Site Admin

Hawaii in the GBL for 2010?

Post by WallysWorld » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:59 am

Just read this info in a little side bar in the Victoria Times-Colonist today. No actual additional info was given other than a quick joke about making road trips to the islands.

Anyone hear about this rumor?

FlyerFan
Site Admin

Post by FlyerFan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Again, I don't know for sure... but I have heard it a lot, in fact, I have heard the possibility of two teams in the islands. That would actually make more sense.

fisherholic
Site Admin

Post by fisherholic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 am

[quote=""FlyerFan""]Again, I don't know for sure... but I have heard it a lot, in fact, I have heard the possibility of two teams in the islands. That would actually make more sense.[/quote]

I am all for adding teams. The more teams the better. Another strong roumer is also Medford Oregon.
Owner & Webmaster-placewithfriends.com
Owner & Producer-Low Down Radio

Colonel
Site Admin

Post by Colonel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 am

As somebody who grew up watching the Hawaii Islanders -- I would love nothing more-- but as you are aware - the Hawaiian Winter League is moving to Arizona ----because major league baseball could not afford to play in Hawaii --- and having gone to a bunch of HWL games-- with the crowds of 100 people - I understand -- as much as I would love to see this ---I don't see how anybody could afford to do it ----the GBL would lose all of their money on one trip to Honolulu ---

sadly

8-(

Alejandro Robles
Site Admin

Post by Alejandro Robles » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 pm

It would be great see Hawaii playing in the GBL in 2010. I'd say if GBL increases the number of teams, they should go for Hawaii and Mexico.
Now, the market will be bigger, imagine Canada, US, Mexico and Hawaii playing in an Independent League, that would be awesome.
I know it sounds kind of freakie and insane, but, the GBL Management should think like this, trying to make bigger their league year per year.
The problem will be the money in this case, because like we know, Hawaii is 6 hours away from Los Angeles. Hawaii isn't cheap either, so, the GBL could have some difficulties in affording these trips to the Islands.
But, let's wait for more, i'm sure the GBL has something in mind to make bigger the competition

fisherholic
Site Admin

Post by fisherholic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 pm

[quote=""Alejandro Robles""]It would be great see Hawaii playing in the GBL in 2010. I'd say if GBL increases the number of teams, they should go for Hawaii and Mexico.
Now, the market will be bigger, imagine Canada, US, Mexico and Hawaii playing in an Independent League, that would be awesome.
I know it sounds kind of freakie and insane, but, the GBL Management should think like this, trying to make bigger their league year per year.
The problem will be the money in this case, because like we know, Hawaii is 6 hours away from Los Angeles. Hawaii isn't cheap either, so, the GBL could have some difficulties in affording these trips to the Islands.
But, let's wait for more, i'm sure the GBL has something in mind to make bigger the competition[/quote]

From what I understand TJ will be back in the GBL next year. Would have made things much better with the schedule. Anyone got word back about Hawaii and maybe Medford Or. being part of the GBL?
Owner & Webmaster-placewithfriends.com
Owner & Producer-Low Down Radio

FlyerFan
Site Admin

Post by FlyerFan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Some of the folks who are pulling together a team for Hawaii were at one of the OC/Roadrunner games last week. They are still on track and hopeful. For those of you asking questions about cost... the plane fare to Hawaii is comparable to going to Canada, the hotel is paid for by the host team (who will most likely strike a deal with a local motel) so not a lot of extra costs other than meals, just like any other road trip.

Colonel
Site Admin

Post by Colonel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Again - I would love nothing more -- but if MLB can't afford to pay for trips to Hawaii - why does anybody think that an independent team can ---- the cost of going there (even if you stayed for 10 days) would cost your whole profit -- but that being said -- I would fly out to watch some games

Colonel
Phoenix, AZ

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Last I've seen in Medford is the good old online petition. I usually find that to be, well, not the kiss of death, just the prime indicator.

Not only do I see no movement, I see that the city actually banned any professional team from playing at the park proposed by the movement. Getting something built elsewhere is highly unlikely for years, from this vantage point.

That's how it LOOKS from 270 miles away. Anyone else with a more local perspective should certainly step up.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

WallysWorld
Site Admin

Post by WallysWorld » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Expansion possibilities in Canada include Kamloops, Kelowna and also Saskatoon with Kamloops being the most likely.

A fourth Canadian team would really go far in securing the other Canadian franchises in the GBL.

Return to “GBL”