Baseball in Metro Detroit

The Frontier League (FL) forum
alkalinefan
Site Admin

Baseball in Metro Detroit

Post by alkalinefan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Construction of a baseball stadium in Utica in the near future.Sounds good.Maybe the Greys coming to Utica?

ca
Site Admin

the utica greys

Post by ca » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 am

does sound nice now getem a westside rival and watch the sparks fly !

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:44 am

I've always felt there was some room for indy baseball in the Detroit Metro area. The question is: Can the local economy support it long term? At what cost (if any) to Tigers ticket sales?
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Metro Detoit baseball

Post by alkalinefan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:59 pm

If the Tigers have to worry about a class A team putting a dent into the profits then they are in more trouble than I thought.This isn't the '03 Tigers.I'm sure a small % of (part time)Tiger fans will check out a new team.If this idea materializes and is done right it could be successful.There should be enough of a fan base for a single A team to survive.With this being said however it seems that whenever I try to talk about minor league bb people look at me like I'm on another planet.The only time you hear the minor leagues mentioned is when someone is on rehab in Toledo or W. Michigan.This could be new to alot of fans,but it could catch on.The guy on TV yesterday in his report said it will be a class A team coming with a 72 game home schedule.72=AAA.Even the people reporting don't know much about minor league baseball.My first thought when hearing this was the Frontier League(Greys)coming.The team that should of been in Oak. Co 5 yrs ago.It would be great if 5 yrs from now we did have a team in W. Oak Co and have some kind of rivalry started.Again just my angle more to come in the future.

ca
Site Admin

Minor league baseball in the motor city ...

Post by ca » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Is akf a foreign to term to some but with a new league that is being proposed for Utica that May change

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:17 pm

[quote=""alkalinefan""]If the Tigers have to worry about a class A team putting a dent into the profits then they are in more trouble than I thought.This isn't the '03 Tigers.I'm sure a small % of (part time)Tiger fans will check out a new team.If this idea materializes and is done right it could be successful.There should be enough of a fan base for a single A team to survive.With this being said however it seems that whenever I try to talk about minor league bb people look at me like I'm on another planet.The only time you hear the minor leagues mentioned is when someone is on rehab in Toledo or W. Michigan.This could be new to alot of fans,but it could catch on.The guy on TV yesterday in his report said it will be a class A team coming with a 72 game home schedule.72=AAA.Even the people reporting don't know much about minor league baseball.My first thought when hearing this was the Frontier League(Greys)coming.The team that should of been in Oak. Co 5 yrs ago.It would be great if 5 yrs from now we did have a team in W. Oak Co and have some kind of rivalry started.Again just my angle more to come in the future.[/quote]

I doubt if "worry" is the word I would go with. However, any dime of ticket money that goes to another team is one less in the Tigers kitty. Pardon the pun. :)

Cleveland has several minor league teams (including one indy team) nearby. They are barely noticed by the media and only mentioned if a better player rehabs at one of the affiliates. With the 29th ranked attendance in MLB, you'd think the Indians could have some of those seats filled with the minor league ticket buyers.

Between game ticket, parking, concessions, trip downtown. The economics do get in the way.
Last edited by tops804 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Metro Detroit baseball

Post by alkalinefan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:22 pm

Maybe Cleveland should bring back ten cent beer night!

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

[quote=""alkalinefan""]Maybe Cleveland should bring back ten cent beer night![/quote]

Right after the White Sox reenact Disco Night.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Disco Night

Post by alkalinefan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:00 pm

I was there,my White Sox score book in which I took score of the game can prove it.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Utica Greys

Post by alkalinefan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:03 pm

I e-mailed Mr Lee the Prez of the FL to find out what he thinks of the matter.

Return to “FL”