Joliet Slammers

The Frontier League (FL) forum
Mokena94
Site Admin

Joliet Slammers

Post by Mokena94 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:43 pm

As the team struggles, and attendance falls short of what they need it to be - it looks like some changes are being made. The do everything Announcer and Director of Media Relations was let go yesterday. Seems a very odd and desparate move to release a loyal employee who did so much for the Slammers, while other staff members stand around and do nothing at games. The new group seems to have a big learning curve in how to run a team and interact with customers at games.

Fool Nelson
Site Admin

Post by Fool Nelson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm

This is very unfortunate, as I really like the atmosphere of Silver Cross Field. The guy might have been let go because he was paid the most...or maybe had too many ideas that the new people did not want to consider.

Mokena94
Site Admin

Post by Mokena94 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:48 pm

It is a fantastic place to go see a game, for a reasonable cost. Not sure of the team pay structure, but he was in the lower half of the Org Chart. He did a lot of things to promote the team, which is more than I can say for those who are supposed to be doing that. If it was due to a disagreement over "ideas", then shame on them, because the current set-up is not working very well.

BoomerFan
Site Admin

Some info on Job eliminations.

Post by BoomerFan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:48 pm

From the Shorewood Patch: (http://shorewood-il.patch.com/groups/bu ... dies-night)

"Aaron Morse announced Tuesday afternoon that the Joliet Slammers eliminated his position.
"The position director of broadcasting and media relations was eliminate," he said in a later phone interview. "And next year if a similar position returns, it will be a seasonal position."

Morse said he believes his position is not the only one that is being eliminated.
"I was told I was not the only one being let go, but I don’t know who else will be let go," he said.
Morse is grateful for the time he spent at the Slammers and still wants to work in the same field.
"I love my time with the slammers and I thank everyone for the opportunity," he said. "At this moment, I’m going to try to stay in the area. My long-term goal remains to be a major league baseball broadcaster, but it maybe taking a detour for the moment."
Over the past four years, Joliet's minor league baseball team has had three different ownership groups. A call to the current general manager Chris Franklin was not returned."

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm

[quote=""Fool Nelson""]This is very unfortunate, as I really like the atmosphere of Silver Cross Field. The guy might have been let go because he was paid the most...or maybe had too many ideas that the new people did not want to consider.[/quote]

The reason why I am entrenched at Railcats games today is because of the great atmosphere at Silver Cross Field before Gary's ballpark was finished. I was hooked and wanted more.

Return to “FL”