Oakland County(Mi) Baseball

The Frontier League (FL) forum
patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:24 pm

[quote=""J.J. Smith""]Does anyone out in Oakland Co. believe anything these owners say anymore?[/quote]

If anyone does, they are fooling themselves. The longer this goes on, the worse it is going to look when they finally admit the stadium is not going to be ready for play in mid July. I wonder when the teams in this league book their hotels for road games? The other teams in this league are probably going to be PO'd if they book their rooms in Waterford only to find out they will be playing in Ypsilanti. The 2 cities are not exactly close to each other.

I realize this is the bush leagues but this team has really seems to have taken the term to heart in the way they operate.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

ca
Site Admin

Post by ca » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:38 am

better find a tweener place of lodging and name dy the owner

NankerPheldge
Site Admin

Post by NankerPheldge » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Are the Cruisers trying to sell tickets for games in Waterford in July or do they tell people the ballpark won't be ready?

ATigerfan
Site Admin

Post by ATigerfan » Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Articles from the Oakland Press. Doesn't sound good.
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... 609507.txt
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... 339104.txt

Intersting posts on the Cruisers facebook too.
Last edited by ATigerfan on Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added another link

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:37 am

[quote=""ATigerfan""]Articles from the Oakland Press. Doesn't sound good.
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... 609507.txt
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles ... 339104.txt

Intersting posts on the Cruisers facebook too.[/quote]

Doesn't sound good is putting it mildly. This team is dead in the water. If it wasn't for the league needing an even number of teams, I'm guessing they would be gone already. So, they are essentially a road team again. This really sucks but, sadly, is of no surprise to probably anyone.

The Facebook comments are laughable at best and, at worst, very telling of how this franchise is run. They are correct in that they have not lost their funding as the Oakland Press reported. That's only because they never had it to begin with. You can't lose what you don't have. For Jerry Garland to criticize Pat Caputo (OP reporter) is laughable. Pat "The Book" Caputo has forgotten more about sports than Garland will ever know. The first time I met Garland, my first impression was "this guy is goofy". My first impression of Rob Hilliard was that he seemd like a used car salesman, and a shady one at that. For Garland to ask people to contact him "for the real story" is laughable too. In the past, when I commented on how you couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone with the team and how you would get different stories from the same people at different times, Garland was one of the main people I was referring to. Right down to the fact that he introduced himself to me (and again later to my wife) as the General Manager of the team when he never actually held that title and was little more than a ticket sales associate at the time (and is "Director of Sales" now) shows the level of professionalism he displays.

This team is doomed and, once again, the fans of minor league baseball in southeast Michigan (and baseball in general) get screwed. This sucks!!!
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

Jerry Garland
Site Admin

Post by Jerry Garland » Thu May 06, 2010 7:14 pm

[quote=""patmc16""]Doesn't sound good is putting it mildly.

**It is a tough situation. No doubt about it.

This team is dead in the water. If it wasn't for the league needing an even number of teams, I'm guessing they would be gone already. So, they are essentially a road team again. This really sucks but, sadly, is of no surprise to probably anyone.

**We will be playing between 18 and 21 dates in metropolitan Detroit. It is not a great situation to play so many games on the road, but delays in receiving our funding have made playing in Waterford an impossibility.

The Facebook comments are laughable at best and, at worst, very telling of how this franchise is run. They are correct in that they have not lost their funding as the Oakland Press reported. That's only because they never had it to begin with.

**Pat - you don't work for us - you have no idea of what goes on with us any more than I do with the company you work for. Here's the truth - we WILL have funding and it is delayed. Rumor, conjecture, and incorrect information are exactly that. The point of the our Facebook page is for news and information and goodwill of team. In that regard, I will apologize for being upset - but understand this is my livelihood - and if someone stated incorrect information and spread false rumors for the sake of "journalism" about your place of business - would you be happy?

You can't lose what you don't have. For Jerry Garland to criticize Pat Caputo (OP reporter) is laughable. Pat "The Book" Caputo has forgotten more about sports than Garland will ever know.

**I would never and will never take any issue with anyone presenting facts - clear and proven facts. I thought the first half of Pat Caputo's article was from the heart - and was presented fairly. However, he started playing fast and loose with "facts" that were simply incorrect. First, assumptions that we drew 40 to 50 fans actual a game. Well, as head of sales I can tell you we averaged double that actual throughout our season. You can decide it's splitting hairs - but the information presented as "fact" simply was not true. Another piece of information that is simply untrue is the fact to a "rumor" he referred to as the team being sold. There is absolutely no tangible credibility to that rumor. If there supposedly is, my phone number is posted on our website - Pat is welcome to call me and let me know where he heard that.

My background:

*Oakland County Native - grew up and now live in Commerce
*Sales Representative for the Texas Rangers (Inside Sales) - MLB, Tampa Bay Rays (Group Sales) - MLB, Dunedin Blue Jays (Advanced-A Florida State League) - MiLB - Second Stint (Account Executive) - First Stint (Intern), and Detroit Tigers (Broadcasting/Corporate Sales Intern) - MLB

Media entities locally I have worked for:

- WDIV Local 4 Sports
- The Associated Press, Detroit
- The South End (Wayne State University hockey beat writer - Division I Hockey 2001)

Yes - Pat Caputo did write for Baseball America (my understanding is that he still does stuff for them from time to time) - and yes, I know full well he was beat writer for Tigers via his long-time position with the Oakland Press. I'm in my early 30s, where of course Pat being in his mid 50s naturally has seen more games. However, I've seen my share of minor-league and major-league baseball. I also have been through a season in the Frontier League - and I know first-hand that while we are an independent league - for Pat to call us or refer to us in any way as "semi-pro" shows he hasn't seen us play. The level of play is better than any of the three Midwest League teams in this state. The guys that play for us - this is their primary job during our season - they want to earn a chance to get picked up back into affiliated baseball. That said, it sad that Pat, a Lake Orion resident himself - has the overall opinion that he wants this group to fail - or he believes we will. You would think he would support us more. I wonder why he doesn't?

The first time I met Garland, my first impression was "this guy is goofy".

**When did I meet you? Refresh my memory.

My first impression of Rob Hilliard was that he seemd like a used car salesman, and a shady one at that. For Garland to ask people to contact him "for the real story" is laughable too.

**Well - as I stated earlier - do I pretend to know the inner workings of where you are employed? No. I DO know what is going on.

In the past, when I commented on how you couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone with the team and how you would get different stories from the same people at different times, Garland was one of the main people I was referring to. Right down to the fact that he introduced himself to me (and again later to my wife) as the General Manager of the team when he never actually held that title and was little more than a ticket sales associate at the time (and is "Director of Sales" now) shows the level of professionalism he displays.

**I am always professional. I would not have worked for five professional baseball organizations - including working side-by-side with Ernie Harwell - if I weren't. Let me address your statements one at a time.

During the 2009 season, I was given the title of "General Manager of Operations and Sales". Rob Hilliard along in coordination with our Baseball Operational Staff, make player personnel moves. My job was to run all pre-game, in-game, and post-game operations at Oestrike Stadium - along with the coordination of 12 staff members. Oh yes - and to sell subscription, group, and corporate packages. So to answer your question - YES - I held a GM title. I never have pretended from day one to be a part of baseball operational decisions. From time to time, on rare occasions, I am asked for my input on a player.

In October 2009, my title was changed to "Director of Sales and Customer Relations". My job duties have been expanded to handle more day-to-day seasonal operations along with all of the 2009 seasonal duties I mentioned above.

I don't think I deserve to be attacked - you and all fans are welcome to call me any time during business hours. One thing you have to understand is that the situation is an evolving and dynamic one. I am a straight-shooter. I will inform you as to what's going on.

This team is doomed and, once again, the fans of minor league baseball in southeast Michigan (and baseball in general) get screwed. This sucks!!![/quote]

**Hang in there with us - I share your frustrations - as an Oakland County native and wanting the Cruisers to get playing in Waterford for the 2011 season.
Last edited by Jerry Garland on Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry Garland
Site Admin

Post by Jerry Garland » Thu May 06, 2010 8:09 pm

[quote=""patmc16""]If anyone does, they are fooling themselves. The longer this goes on, the worse it is going to look when they finally admit the stadium is not going to be ready for play in mid July. I wonder when the teams in this league book their hotels for road games? The other teams in this league are probably going to be PO'd if they book their rooms in Waterford only to find out they will be playing in Ypsilanti. The 2 cities are not exactly close to each other.

I realize this is the bush leagues but this team has really seems to have taken the term to heart in the way they operate.[/quote]

**Pat - whether you want to believe it or not - we are in an economic recession - with our area taking a very hard hit. Borrowing money in this climate was a tremendous effort to get to.

In regards to road teams booking hotel rooms, in a perfect world, when the league schedule is finalized - usually that occurs in and around December or so - the clubs then make tentative reservations. We have a good relationship with the two hotels we will be using. The road team may have to drive a little bit for some of the games to be played in Livonia - but we will do all we can to accomodate them.

Sure - we're in a financial struggle - 'bush league' is term I find a little extreme. As I stated in another post - I don't hide - my phone number is listed on our website. If you or any other Cruisers fans have issues - simply call me. Resorting to attacks on people like me due to frustrations is simply unnecessary. I see the spamming posts people put in response to the OP online articles. You see a lot of rumor - attacking of staff - people just saying whatever to get a rise out of any of us - baseless or not.

Take Care!

Jerry Garland
Site Admin

Post by Jerry Garland » Thu May 06, 2010 10:04 pm

[quote=""patmc16""]Where did these figures come from? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see this on the Cruisers website or the Oakland Press story.

Again, they are all over the board with their info. The team never reported less than 127 to any game (their first game) and (I believe) never reported less than 500 after the second game. Now, all of a sudden they had less than 125 at 3 out of the 1st 6 games??

Now they are back to playing some games in Ypsi. Again, the story changes. Maybe they plan on selling some of their home games to the other team again like they did the last home series this past season??? 9 home games before the all-star game? Come on.

If they were going to do this right, they need to play in Ypsilanti (or somewhere else) next season and get the stadium built right and open it in May 2011. There has been 2 years of delays and a whole lot of nothing and now they have to hurry and play in a half built stadium? It just doesn't make sence to me. I don't think the saying goes, "Build half of it and they will come."

I really do want this to work. It's just that, after seeing a game at All Pro Freight Stadium this season, it is very frustrating to see how little the Cruisers have accomplished. Wern't the Lake Erie Crushers announced after the Cruisers were? I see what they have and what we have and it is hard not to get discouraged about what this organization has done.[/quote]

**Pat, you make several valid points here - and yes - it is incredibly frustrating to this point. But I will tell you our best actual draw in 2009 was in the 225-275 range. I can tell you that we did all we could not to play in Ypsilanti extended in 2010 for the following reasons:

1. The business/corporate support in the Ypsi-Arbor region in 2009 was minimal and apathetic - despite all efforts from the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor Chambers to help us - which we were members of (the chambers have now merged into one). I applaud those who did participate with us and made the efforts to help us. They all saw us, appropriately, as a temporary team and wanted no investment unless we were permanent - localized efforts to help overcome this didn't come to pass.

2. The now extinct 'Ann Arbor News' wanted no business covering an Ypsilanti-based team (many Ann Arbor residents don't like to frequent Ypsilanti - quaint as to why not) - and we had to hound them just to get the two features, occasional photos, and some 100-word blurbs. The Booth papers had no interest. The Detroit News covered us once - and The Oakland Press understandably is not going to cover a club playing in Washtenaw County. How do you get press?

3. The residential support was not what we expected. Many little leagues, upon me contacting them about group and fundraising interests - had no interest. We did have some scattered interest from a few teams, but the turnout was disappointing to say the least. We passed 8,000 vouchers out to kids in Ypsilanti Public Schools - only about 20 were redeemed. Reaching out to the Eastern Michigan University students made little sense because it was Summer Semester - most students are on break. We will be revisiting this for 2010 and we will try a different strategy.

4. Due to playing at Oestrike Stadium on EMU's Campus - alcohol was and is prohibited from consumption or sale on the grounds. That deflates your 21-30 crowd right there unless they have kids. We will have the same restrictions at Oestrike, Oakland University's field, and Livonia's Ford Field this season. (Note: we have a full beer, wine, and liquor license waiting for us for when Diamond at The Summit opens).

5. Most Oakland County Cruisers fans did not want to drive the 50-60 minutes to Oestrike Stadium. We know the great majority of fans will be a 0-35 minute drive from us. To overcome this, our desire is to set up a few bus trips from Waterford at our academy over to the game - all-inclusive - bus ride and game ticket for one price.

As I stated in an earlier post - I know you're frustrated - so are we. Hang in with us and thank you for your support!

ca
Site Admin

Post by ca » Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 pm

how can the cruisers get new pk $$$ when they had a good pk in ypsi and totally botched the marketing effort there . the only way this club make it is at emu under a new owner or the fl will have to contract both kzo n ypsi . after that they should can their commissioner for creating this fiasco in the 1st place if not before !

NankerPheldge
Site Admin

Post by NankerPheldge » Mon May 10, 2010 2:41 am

After reading these comments about and from Jerry Garland, one thing runs through my mind:

Why does the Frontier League want this organization? It's like the crazy Uncle Harold that nobody in the family wants to talk about. It's more trouble and embarassment than it's worth.

Return to “FL”