been away

The Canadian American League (Can-Am) forum
NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

been away

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi, haven't touched base in a while, as things have been hectic. Among the things that have kept me busy is being an admin of an indy ball chat group on FB. In the last couple of days someone there mentioned that Floyd Hall has been trying to sell the Jackals for the past 3 years......if true, that really adds up to what has been happening there. Hoping that the Jackals finally win one, but will be happy if Boulders win or even Ottawa as they have the best manager in the league. Had my photo taken with Luis Tiant during the cuban series, enjoyed this years can am classic. The Japan Indy all stars were much improved this year. Oh, and the park in Pomona is now called the PCUP! 2 more weeks and then the speculation about 2017 begins......

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 pm

that really adds up
Looks like you're dead on! Who would buy a business that's probably loosing money or is just breaking even? Would the new owner get the friendly (cheap) rent? Floyd is major donor to Montclair State U. It's probably not a question of price but more about keeping jobs for his administrative team and filling the stadium during the summer break!

At 77, he probably doesn't wish for the team to fall into his estate after he passes way because that would probably mean liquidation as the team has no value in any other location, the only real "assets" being the furniture. A few thousand $$$... maybe!

NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:07 am

It should be interesting to see if there are more departures in admin staff like there were in 2015.

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Looks like the description of a sinking ship!

DJ Omnimaga
Site Admin

Post by DJ Omnimaga » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:18 am

Darn I hope the Jackals survive. It seemed like they drew better this year and unlike the last three seasons when attendance collapsed during the second half of the season, this season it didn't happen until the final few weeks. The New Jersey Jackals often reminded me the Birmingham Barracudas and the Memphis Mad Dogs of the Canadian Football League in 1995 (yes, the CFL had teams in the USA in the mid-90's), when they drew the best crowds in the league during the first half of the season, then once the college football season started their numbers nosedived to something worse than the Las Vegas Posse.

NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:06 am

One of the biggest issues in terms of jackals attendance is the fact they are located smack in the middle of a college campus. When school starts up, it becomes a nightmare that no one wants to deal with.

Floyd Hall has invested little in the marketing of the team. I have been told that the Jackals currently have, a best, 1 employee. They announced their schedule later than other teams (and the league still has not released it officially).

I would not be surprised if they do not take the field in 2017.

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 pm

[quote=""NJ JACKALS FAN""]One of the biggest issues in terms of jackals attendance is the fact they are located smack in the middle of a college campus. When school starts up, it becomes a nightmare that no one wants to deal with.[/quote]
I've been to the playoff games involving Jackals/Capitales for a good number of years and never had any problem getting to and from the games and parking never was an issue!

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:09 am

[quote=""NJ JACKALS FAN""]In the last couple of days someone there mentioned that Floyd Hall has been trying to sell the Jackals for the past 3 years......if true, that really adds up to what has been happening there. [/quote]

It finally happened. The Jackals have been sold to Al Dorso, owner of the Sussex County Miners and Skylands Stadium!
Last edited by Bonhomme2010 on Sat May 27, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Can-Am”