NJ Jackals 2016

The Canadian American League (Can-Am) forum
TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

NJ Jackals 2016

Post by TrumpetGuy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:56 pm

The CanAm and Jackals schedule was recently released for the 2016. I think the schedule is a good one for the Jackals. They start on the road in Canada and end at the Rockland for the final series of the regular season with the two prior series at home. I think the schedule is much improved from what 2015 had in store for them.

I see that the Jackals signed a new left handed pitcher for 2016... Nick Gonzalez. The building blocks for most of the team will ultimately come following all the affiliated's getting settled in, in April 2016.

Good to see that Peter Mooney got another shot. He was a pretty good player last year.

164 days until the Jackals home opener.

TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

Pre-season acquisitions and departures

Post by TrumpetGuy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Good to see that Alex Powers and Johnny Walter got signed by the Reds. Walter will particularly be missed.

We did a trade and then signings for both a pitcher, Robert Stock and C Richard Stock. I speculate that they are brokers.

I can take some stock in knowing that the team is getting put together for 2016. They also re-signed Tony Caldwell, so that would suggest our catching tandem is set.

crixus
Site Admin

Jackals 2016

Post by crixus » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:30 pm

With two weeks to go in the regular season the Jackals are in first place with a three game lead. Let's hope they hold on and get the home field advantage in the playoffs.

NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

regular season can am champs

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 pm

The Jackals held on to win the regular season can am title. Art Charles won the first ever can am league triple crown. However, the Jackals finished dead last in attendance. Let me repeat that, dead last in attendance with a first place team......

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:34 pm

As you wrote many times in the past, cutting costs has to show somewhere. Looks like you were not alone in lookin elsewhere to spend your entertainment dollars!

NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:09 am

And add to that the nearly 8,000 ottawa drew when Eric Gange pitched. How long will the Jackals stay alive under Floyd Hall?

DJ Omnimaga
Site Admin

Post by DJ Omnimaga » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:22 am

[quote=""NJ JACKALS FAN""]The Jackals held on to win the regular season can am title. Art Charles won the first ever can am league triple crown. However, the Jackals finished dead last in attendance. Let me repeat that, dead last in attendance with a first place team......[/quote]

Yeah I was surprised that Sussex drew better, considering how brutal their team was on the field. Unless Sussex inflated their numbers?

But again maybe the fans got fed up with seeing their teams finish 1st for several years in a row, only to choke every single time during the playoffs.
Last edited by DJ Omnimaga on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:02 pm

I, for one, don't believe that performance on the field (W/L) has that much of an impact on attendance figures. Marketing generally drives attendance on top of the diehard fans (I missed 2 games in the pas 18 years).

Also, depending on particulars of the local market, teams generally have cycles that repeat from year to year. For instance, Quebec doesn't draw that much from may to mid-july and always gets the best average attendance in august. From the start of the HS and NFL football season, US teams don't draw on fridays and sundays... even for the playoffs. US teams have a larger percentage of their attendance drawn from kids and teenagers and when scholl starts....

Les Capitales drew 3,934 & 2,010 in their 2 home 1st round playoff games but the first game drew about 2,000 who came to honor the memory of Bob Bissonnette, one of the co-owners who died in a plane crash the previous sunday.

The Boulders drew 2,090 & 1,039

About attendance figures, some teams list tickets sold and others list fans attending the game. Some teams give away or discount tickets heavily, some (Quebec) don't. Les Capitales switched from tikets sold to fans at the ballparl last year. They had their best real attendance season in 2016 (only 1 game was rained out)

crixus
Site Admin

Post by crixus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 am

But the Jackals choked in the clutch...again. :rolleyes:

DJ Omnimaga
Site Admin

Post by DJ Omnimaga » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:21 am

[quote=""Bonhomme2010""]I, for one, don't believe that performance on the field (W/L) has that much of an impact on attendance figures. Marketing generally drives attendance on top of the diehard fans (I missed 2 games in the pas 18 years).

Also, depending on particulars of the local market, teams generally have cycles that repeat from year to year. For instance, Quebec doesn't draw that much from may to mid-july and always gets the best average attendance in august. From the start of the HS and NFL football season, US teams don't draw on fridays and sundays... even for the playoffs. US teams have a larger percentage of their attendance drawn from kids and teenagers and when scholl starts....

Les Capitales drew 3,934 & 2,010 in their 2 home 1st round playoff games but the first game drew about 2,000 who came to honor the memory of Bob Bissonnette, one of the co-owners who died in a plane crash the previous sunday.

The Boulders drew 2,090 & 1,039

About attendance figures, some teams list tickets sold and others list fans attending the game. Some teams give away or discount tickets heavily, some (Quebec) don't. Les Capitales switched from tikets sold to fans at the ballparl last year. They had their best real attendance season in 2016 (only 1 game was rained out)[/quote]

Regarding Quebec attendance figures, this now explains things for me. For the few times I had the chance to attend games, the crowds in 2015 and 2016 still looked as big as they were during the Eric Gagné season, especially the Cuba ones. I usually could estimate what number they will announce at the end of the game, so if I saw for example a certain amount of empty seats, then they would announce 3200. Then all of a sudden, in 2015, I attend a game with a crowd of identical size, yet they only announce 2600.

Return to “Can-Am”