NJ Jackals 2015

The Canadian American League (Can-Am) forum
TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

NJ Jackals 2015

Post by TrumpetGuy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Since we are now about a third of the way through the season, how about a Thread about the NJ Jackals for 2015.

Before posting some thoughts about the team, here are a couple of points about some of the other items I have read on this message board pertinent to the Jackals.

Why did the Jackals not have many players back from the 2014 team? One point about this which might make sense is that they traded a fair amount of their players in the off-season. And more importantly, they traded them for cash. This has not been typical of the Jackals in past off-seasons. Usually they trade for future considerations or players to be named later.

I believe that they traded them for cash since they needed funds to pay for the new scoreboard they got this year. That is my theory. Given same, I think that is one reason you see so few players back from 2014 on the 2015 team.

As for a comment about Joe C. and his not talking with his players, this may be true to some degree. I believe that this is his way of keeping some level of distance from his players because he recognizes it is a business and at any point he may have to trade or cut any one of them. On this basis he want's to keep his relationship more of a business relationship. Don't forget that he is performing player procurement as well as coaching the team. If there was a separation of duties here, it might be different. This is just my take on it.

Personally, I think being close to your players has it's benefits, but it can also have a down side as you might lose control depending on the type of personality of the player/players. It depends on the clubhouse culture.

Different Managers have different styles. Don't forget that the team also has Ani Ramos who is definitely a players coach type.

TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

State of the Jackals June 26th 2015

Post by TrumpetGuy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 pm

At this moment, the Jackals stand at 14-14.

The issue with this team is primarily the offense. They have virtually no power with the exception Mark Threlkeld who has shown some pop. There are far too many pop-ups vs. at-em balls and due to their overall lack of hitting prowess, it has put a lot more pressure on the pitching staff. The bullpen has been mostly solid, but the rotation is up and down. Defense has been really quite good this year. You mix this all up and you get a .500 team.

I like Peter Mooney, he has performed consistently well at shortstop. I don't know what to make of Leandro Castro. Early on, he looked pretty bad, but has picked it up of late and is now hitting over .300. Would like a little more power from a veteran though.

Hopefully the Jackals can find some hitting and pick it up in order to move up over the .500 mark. :)

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:22 pm

[quote=""TrumpetGuy""]Why did the Jackals not have many players back from the 2014 team?[/quote]
You make a valid point in your post but the answer lies elsewhere: After 1 year of Joe Calfapitra's rule, all the players want out!

Case in point: In a newspaper article back in may, one of the best relievers in the league in 2014, Shaun Ellis, was quoted as saying that he had phoned the Capitales' pitching coach after last season, to ask him if they could make a move to trade for him. "I just wanted out!"

The reason why the Jackals are "trading" players for cash or "future considations" is simply that the other teams know that they don't have much choice. Otherwise, the players will simply request to be released!

TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

Re: Players Jumping ship

Post by TrumpetGuy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Well, you can't argue with the fact that there are very few who have returned. That said, all teams will have some level of transition. And not all players jump ship either. Isaac has been with the team now for a very long time.

Leandro showed some power yesterday and has picked it up. The Jackals still need a couple bats.

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:29 pm

When Isaac Pavlik speaks... Joe adds a big hearfelt AMEN!

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:33 pm

[quote=""TrumpetGuy""]Leandro showed some power yesterday and has picked it up. The Jackals still need a couple bats.[/quote]
Joe thought he had signed one of the bats you so correctly identified as a need... Kirby-Jones! The guy is out of shape. .222 average and .420 slugging. Must be one of those small promotion bats!

And Joe's 1st baseman is now a 5'10'' 230 lbs small (in range) target for his infielders!

Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

Not thje trade it was supposed to be...

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Way back on february 5, the Jackals made a trade that was supposed to be the steal of the century: the traded Shaun Ellis,a very good set-up pitcher for:
  • The 2014 Can-Am rookie of the year, Matt Helms, (.315 with a good glove)
  • A promising rookie starting pitcher, Dany Moskovits, (3.03 ERA in 5 starts)
  • A dependable lefty, Kyle Regnault, who could pitch in any situation
After half the 2015 season, the ex-ROY is hitting .192, the promising rookie pitcher can't find his rhythm (4.73 ERA) and the good lefty is still in affiliated ball where he's doing quite nicely indeed with a 1.95 ERA in A+

NJ JACKALS FAN
Site Admin

Post by NJ JACKALS FAN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:46 am

The problem with the Jackals is deeper than just paying for a scoreboard. Every year since he folded the skyhawks, the jackals have lessened the quality of the offerings to fans. Fewer give aways, fewer promotions, and ultimately, fewer fans in the seats.

They have cut costs at almost every turn. Never was this so obvious as it was with their renewal offering to me this year. a one page form in a handwirtten envelope.

If you compare whatt the boulders did for their fans on the cooperstown trip as opposed to the jackals, the reasons for the dropping attendance (and thus revenue for players) is clear.

Joe has been a middling manager at best. His ability to handle the pitching staff is questionable. He leaves pitchers in too long.

And the way the championship series ended last year speaks volumes about how poorly he motivates the team.

TrumpetGuy
Site Admin

2015 Wrap Up

Post by TrumpetGuy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:47 pm

I don't disagree with a lot of what you stated in your last post. There has been a diminishing overall product from a standpoint of give-aways and cost cutting measures.

It has appeared like a short-term approach when a long term marketing approach is needed.

I will say that they did get a new scoreboard which was sorely needed... and likely cost a sizable amount.

As for Joe... he did make the Championship, again. And lost, again. This time it went the full five games and they seem to inch closer and closer to that elusive fifth championship. If making the championship is middling, so be it.

I will be interested to see how the team performs over a full season next year without Ani Ramos in the fold.

Return to “Can-Am”