5 teams in Can-Am league again in 2013

The Canadian American League (Can-Am) forum
Bonhomme2010
Site Admin

5 teams in Can-Am league again in 2013

Post by Bonhomme2010 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:42 pm

It's now official, the Can-Am league will operate as a 5 teams league in 2013: Newark, New Jersey, Quebec, Rockland and Trois-Rivières.

The situation in Worcester is: the investors were present and ready to go in 2013 but negociations with the city and Holy Cross University were dragging about unpaid bills from the previous owner and the governors had to come to a decision.

There will be an inter-league schedule with the AA again in 2013.

Quebec will play in Kansas City, Gary and Winnipeg in mid-june - 1,350 kilometres in all but with 2 days off for the long bus rides.

Winnipeg will play Quebec, Trois-Rivières and 1 of the american teams in july.

QuebecCapitalesFan
Site Admin

Post by QuebecCapitalesFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm

[quote=""Bonhomme2010""]It's now official, the Can-Am league will operate as a 5 teams league in 2013: Newark, New Jersey, Quebec, Rockland and Trois-Rivières.

The situation in Worcester is: the investors were present and ready to go in 2013 but negociations with the city and Holy Cross University were dragging about unpaid bills from the previous owner and the governors had to come to a decision.

There will be an inter-league schedule with the AA again in 2013.

Quebec will play in Kansas City, Gary and Winnipeg in mid-june - 1,350 kilometres in all but with 2 days off for the long bus rides.

Winnipeg will play Quebec, Trois-Rivières and 1 of the american teams in july.[/quote]

What I'm looking forward to the most is the newly-created rivalry between the Quebec Capitales & the Trois-Rivières Aigles. Exactly what myself, and all of Quebec province has been waiting for.

DJ Omnimaga
Site Admin

Post by DJ Omnimaga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 am

I wonder if Worcester will be able to come back in 2014... I hope the fans are not desilusioned by that and that they return then if they get a new team again. There was decent support until the current owners destroyed the team.

wildthing2022000
Site Admin

Post by wildthing2022000 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

[quote=""DJ Omnimaga""]I wonder if Worcester will be able to come back in 2014... I hope the fans are not desilusioned by that and that they return then if they get a new team again. There was decent support until the current owners destroyed the team.[/quote]

http://www.telegram.com/article/2013061 ... 19724/1116
Atlantic League founder and CEO Frank Boulton today announced the formation of a new professional baseball league that will debut next year, and he said he expects Worcester to become a member. “Worcester's chances of being part of the six teams that we announce in August are very good,” Boulton told the T&G.
Can-Am League commissioner Miles Wolff said today that the league was still interested in returning to Worcester and he had lined up potential ownership groups, but that city officials have not returned his calls or emails.

“We still don't have any indication,” Wolff said, “that the city or Holy Cross will deal with us, but we'd like very much to return.”

Wolff said city officials and civic leaders persuaded the Can-Am League to keep a team in Worcester for the final month of last season rather than go with a travel team.

“So we went in and paid many of the bills and kept the team in town,” Wolff said, “so all the games were played.”

Wolff said the Can-Am League offered to pay all outstanding bills in order to keep a team in Worcester this season, but was told to take a year off.

Wolff pointed out that the Can-Am League plays 100 games, 40 more than the Diamond League plans to play next season.

BerkshireFan
Site Admin

Post by BerkshireFan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:54 am

Sounds like the feeder league idea Boulton has floated off and on over the last decade. I can't imagine a worse idea than an affiliated-independent league; the worst of both worlds. No prospects, but there's still a parent team that can strip your hometown team of it's stars mid-season. Just think how thrilled Worcester fans will be to find out their ace pitcher is still shutting opposing hitters down up in the Show......in Camden. As if there isn't enough prejudice against indy baseball.

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 am

I have heard that Bridgeport might be heading over to the Can-Am league. If not next season, maybe the season after that.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:53 am

[quote=""BerkshireFan""]Sounds like the feeder league idea Boulton has floated off and on over the last decade. I can't imagine a worse idea than an affiliated-independent league; the worst of both worlds. No prospects, but there's still a parent team that can strip your hometown team of it's stars mid-season. Just think how thrilled Worcester fans will be to find out their ace pitcher is still shutting opposing hitters down up in the Show......in Camden. As if there isn't enough prejudice against indy baseball.[/quote]

I can see it now:
"Yeah, I was in the show. The 21 worst days of my life. Brown balls for batting practice. All the motels had dial telephones and basic cable. All the girls were bowlegged and not particularly bright."

BlastFan
Site Admin

Post by BlastFan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:09 pm

"Yeah, I was in the show. The 21 worst days of my life. Brown balls for batting practice. All the motels had dial telephones and basic cable. All the girls were bowlegged and not particularly bright."
I feel sorry for the players when they come to Southern Maryland and are put up in La Quinta Inn. I've looked at the other official Atlantic League hotels and they look like luxurious 5 star hotels compared to that dump in Waldorf.

Return to “Can-Am”