Atlantic League to Nothern Virginia?

The Atlantic League (AtL) forum
HeadFirst
Site Admin

Atlantic League to Nothern Virginia?

Post by HeadFirst » Thu May 25, 2006 6:03 pm

The Atlantic League's admirable progress in placing franchises in Charles County (MD) and York (PA), combined with the established affiliated franchises in Woodbridge (VA), Bowie (MD) and Frederick (MD), almost completely rounds out the minor league coverage in the Washington metropolitan area. But yet there remains one glaring hole in that coverage -- the western D.C. suburbs.

Does anyone have any knowledge, insight, innuendo, or blatant speculation on the Atlantic League turning its attention to Northern Virginia, perhaps more particularly western Fairfax County or eastern Loudoun County? And who might be the political and financial players in such a placement?

I am a lifelong resident, businessperson and baseball nut in the aforementioned areas of Northern Virginia, and would like to contribute to the placement of a successful franchise in my home area. Any information would be valued and appreciated.
Last edited by HeadFirst on Tue May 30, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckfan
Site Admin

Post by Duckfan » Sat May 27, 2006 4:42 am

The only people who can answer your questions are in the Atlantic League Office. The address (and I believe phone#) is on the Atlantic League webpage.

EyeOfTheStormers
Site Admin

Post by EyeOfTheStormers » Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 pm

HeadFirst wrote:The Atlantic League's admirable progress in placing franchises in Charles County (MD) and York (PA), combined with the established affiliated franchises in Woodbridge (VA), Bowie (MD) and Frederick (MD), almost completely rounds out the minor league coverage in the Washington metropolitan area. But yet there remains one glaring hole in that coverage -- the western D.C. suburbs.

Does anyone have any knowledge, insight, innuedo, or blatant speculation on the Atlantic League turning its attention to Northern Virginia, perhaps more particularly western Fairfax County or eastern Loudoun County? And who might be the political and financial players in such a placement?

I am a lifelong resident, businessperson and baseball nut in the aforementioned areas of Northern Virginia, and would like to contribute to the placement of a successful franchise in my home area. Any information would be valued and appreciated.
I think Manassas would be a nice spot for the AL to take a look at.

I see your from Leesburg? Do you go to any Fredrick games? I'm thinking about checking out a game there. I'm a huge O's fan and haven't been down there to see a game yet.
16-8
:D

HeadFirst
Site Admin

IO'DaStormers

Post by HeadFirst » Tue May 30, 2006 4:24 pm

I disagree about Manassas. Manassas is contiguous with Woodbridge, and Woodbridge contains the Potomac Nationals, who draw from the D.C. southern suburbs. I really feel that a much better location, far enough away from any other franchise yet still within a populated, high per-capita income area, would be in western Fairfax or eastern Loudoun, as mentioned. To wit, Ashburn, Herndon, Reston, Dulles, Sterling, et cetera. A spot along the Dulles Greenway would be real purdy for a $20M Atlantic League ballpark, with a few restaurants and such.

The Northern Virginia proposal to get the Expos included a potential stadium complex near the confluence of the Greenway and Rt. 28, near IAD. But the influential NIMBYs were agin' it, and so the legislators in Richmond were noncommittal at best. I think and hope that a $20M AtL park might go over somewhat better than a $400M MLB park. I know that it would fit very well into the Atlantic League's business model and into their map.

I've been to Frederick many a time. Nice park. Though I live in Reston and no longer in Leesburg, and therefore Frederick is an hour from me as opposed to a half-hour, I still get up there to the occasional game; I caught a double-header against Myrtle Beach at Harry Grove Stadium just a couple of weeks ago.

It's easy enough to find. The park is easily visible on the north side of I-70. Take the Market Street exit. There's plenty of free parking, and it's a pleasant-enough park, built in 1989. All of the bleachers are low to the ground so the sightlines are good, there's a wide concourse that permits standing and watching, the fans are generally knowledgeable about the Keys and the Orioles, and there's plenty for the kids to do. My one criticism of the Keys' place is that a GA ticket is $8, one of the steepest cheap seats I know of in minor league ball.

Return to “AtL”