Atlantic League in New Britain?

The Atlantic League (AtL) forum
Sharks52
Site Admin

Atlantic League in New Britain?

Post by Sharks52 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:30 am

Looks like something's up. Blue Fish to New Britain? Can Am team to Bridgeport for the normal two year period? http://sportzedge.com/2015/08/26/new-br ... y-by-2016/.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm

You're right, really sounds as if something is going to happen sooner rather than later. I would expect New Britain to have pro ball next year.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Bridgeport has been doing better this season in terms of attendance with nearly 3,000(up from 2,348 in 2014). And with Virginia Beach joining the AtL in 2016, adding in New Britain would even the league out at 10 teams. Simply relocating Bridgeport to new Britain would mean the return of the Road Warriors. Unless the league has that 2nd Texas team ready for 2016. Add in New Britain to the Liberty division & Virginia Beach to the Freedom division:

Liberty Division
New Britain
Bridgeport
Somerset
Long Island
Camden

Freedom Division
Virginia Beach
So. Maryland
Lancaster
York
Sugar Land

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:57 pm

several newspapers are reporting that New Britain will have a current team relocate, likely Camden. if this is true, the league will be uneven in 2016 with Virginia Beach joining, likely bringing back the Road Warriors. Unless the AtL finally has that 2nd Texas team ready to go.

Sharks52
Site Admin

Post by Sharks52 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Virginia Beach doesn't even have financing in place let alone any work being done on the stadium. Think 2017 if ever. Think the Hounds also and what that turned into after all the promises. A lease agreement is what has Camden on the bubble, if that gets settled it would be Bridgeport to New Britain. They can barely compete now with an affiliated team 55 miles away. What will they do with a team 20 miles away on days they both play? I understand Bridgeport does the same as Camden and has huge differences between attendance and how many are in the seats. Like 1500 a game huge. Correct me if I'm wrong on Bridgeport. Just because Jamie Toole has plans to stay in Bridgeport means nothing. Google him to see how well many of his other plans have gone. :rolleyes:

Duckfan
Site Admin

Post by Duckfan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:36 am

This doesn't seem to make sense. Camden consistently outdraws Bridgeport but it looks like Camden is on the chopping block. Their Stadium agreement expires at the end of the season and the Stadium owner, Rutgers University, is playing hardball. I'm also going to guess that Boulton has a buyer lined up and he can remove Camden from his balance sheet. What he's forgotten is that Connecticut has never supported professional Sports Teams. They ignored the Whalers, they ignored the Norwich Navigators, they ignore the Bluefish, they ignored the New Britain Rock Cats and they'll ignore the new Atlantic League team. The team in New Britain will be bankrupt in a few years. If Boulton wasn't subsidizing the Bluefish, they would have been gone a long time ago.

crixus
Site Admin

Post by crixus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:24 pm

[quote=""toad455""]Bridgeport has been doing better this season in terms of attendance with nearly 3,000(up from 2,348 in 2014). And with Virginia Beach joining the AtL in 2016, adding in New Britain would even the league out at 10 teams. Simply relocating Bridgeport to new Britain would mean the return of the Road Warriors. Unless the league has that 2nd Texas team ready for 2016. Add in New Britain to the Liberty division & Virginia Beach to the Freedom division:

Liberty Division
New Britain
Bridgeport
Somerset
Long Island
Camden

Freedom Division
Virginia Beach
So. Maryland
Lancaster
York
Sugar Land[/quote]

The Virginia Beach Neptunes won't be joining the Atlantic League until 2017, at the earliest. I emailed them about buying a cap last week and they told me that everything's been postponed.

Return to “AtL”