Goodbye Laredo, hello Salina?

The American Association (AA) forum
suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Sun May 07, 2017 2:29 pm

NKSports, the league has cost itself in the long term and will simply limp alone.

The Cleburne situation is a case study being that even with the unheard of free rent for two years they are a dead team walking, one lesson that repeats itself as being true in minor league sports, being that once you get behind there is no catching up they didn't even draw 1000 for the open house so where do you think they go from here, one more point its not the marketing the secret is can you sell tickets they have already shown this not to be the case and marketing and ticket sells are totally different animals.

They just reached 5000 on the facebook page and only count possibly 800 of those buying tickets today's game is much different than even two short years ago, in wrapping up the AirHogs have been dead for a few years look at the attendance they consistently draw less than 1000 and have done nothing to understand the problem. :cool:

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

I hope they just forgot to put some people on the roster

http://www.americanassociationbaseball. ... -stockade/

Rosters are to be set today. Teams are allowed 23 players. Salina has 11.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed May 17, 2017 7:27 pm

This is from the team's web site. It only lists 20 players:
http://www.salinastockade.com/salina.as ... &year=2017

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 pm

NKSPORTS, Is there anyone out there who thought this was going to go well :wink:

Cleburne is already begging for people to come out to games, and have already committed the basic sin of minor league sports, they were giving away tickets come for free please.

While there is a model for the concept its not one they know about, they have played before a very empty stadium,they could draw 500 to opener Friday but they are dead already.

Joe Ottobre Free entry?
16 hrs
Robert Adams
Robert Adams Tickets were issued for the exhibition game, but I think they have free tickets for tonight's game.
15 hrs
from the facebook page

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed May 17, 2017 10:50 pm

It's obvious that they are trying to keep losses for Salina to a minimum by not picking up Laredo's contracts (which is kind of sad because for all of the Lemur's problems, they were a competitive team), but I'd think they would try and carry a full roster.
I'm wondering if they are just going to rotate a lot of players in and out. I'm sure if any player shows any promise, that player is going to either get traded for or get his contract bought up by another team in the league. Neither site lists the players' service status, but I'm sure most of them are R, LS-1 or LS-2 at the most.
Salina just lost a couple of what few home dates they did have because their home stadium has a high school state tournament there next week, so they will be playing those games at Lawrence-Dumont in Wichita and Community America Ballpark in Kansas City. Those games are against Winnipeg (at Wichita) and Fargo-Moorhead (at KC) and will have noon starts in Wichita and a 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. start in KC. $6 a ticket anywhere in the park.
They have three Legion teams that play in Salina and a summer college team, so the field gets a lot of use. It is grass.
I'm considering going to a game in Wichita next week just to see what's what. Most of their other games will be on the road until June and July. They have no home dates in August, which is surprising because the Legion and summer college seasons have wound up by then.
Looking at the AA schedule for next week, there are a lot of early starts, so there must be a few school kids days scheduled.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Thu May 18, 2017 4:46 pm

As the old Monty Python show would open with (And now for something completely different)
:razz:
Cleburne Railroader Baseball
1 hr ·

Due to the inclement weather expected at the stadium and for the safety of our entertainers, the pre-game festivities have been post-poned to a later date. However, Game time is scheduled for 7:06 pm.

It has never rained in Cleburne nor has the threat of hail or heavy rain before today come to town, surprise they didn't close down the city for this one,the comedy just doesn't have an ending with this organization,they were not expecting more than 500 people anyway so maybe no game today or not the remaining games will draw even less over the weekend.

You simply can't make this stuff up ;)
Last edited by suge night on Thu May 18, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't know what's going on in Cleburne, but about every high school event in our area has had its schedule jacked around trying to anticipate bad weather that hasn't happened YET.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 am

Wichita is rained out. I'm listening to the Cleburne game online (the Winnipeg radio feed). Cleburne is the only game not to have Pointstreak live scoring up.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 am

Meanwhile on the St. Paul webcast, they did a hilarious bit between innings with one of the St. Paul pitchers (a hairy, shaggy looking dude) aping the Mary Tyler Moore Show opening, complete with beret toss.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 am

NKSPORTS, their is so much kaos going on in Cleburne forget about the pointstreak.

Charlene Nichols Also eat before you come. No outside food allowed but they already ran out of food.

Karen Eschliman So disappointed!
Not waiting on a shuttle for a game that may get rain or worse. And wait again to get to our car. Why weren't the parking lots finished??? We were so looking forward to the game.

There are so many complaints,who thought a minor league baseball team could not have enough food.....

Mary Frances Lewis No, because stuck in line at satellite parking...sad sad! Where's your public relations? Should have forewarned about no parking!!!!
2 · 1 hr
Tim Kripps
Tim Kripps We ended up not going because of the parking once we got there, waited in line, then were told to go back the way we came to park and wait for a shuttle...REALLY disappointed and probably won't attempt attending any future games! 4 TICKETS WASTED!
1 hr
Susan Hardwick Cates
Susan Hardwick Cates I don't understand how a brand new facility doesn't have enough parking.
1 · 1 hr
Crystal Foster
Crystal Foster The line at the shuttle parking was horrible we decided not to go in. 2 tickets wasted.

icole Coen If everyone showed up early they'd have the same problem. Do the math. Only so many parking spots and I think 5 shuttles that held fewer than 20 people. They finally called in CISD school busses after people had been waiting more than an hour for the shuttle. We paid $40 for round trip taxi. Not cool.

Once you lose them they don't come back!
Last edited by suge night on Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “AA”