Edmonton Capitals move to AA in 2013?

The American Association (AA) forum
G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Edmonton Capitals move to AA in 2013?

Post by G Lindenbach » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Does anyone know if the Edmonton Capitals are in discussions with the AA for entry in 2013? Would acceptance be contingent on joint entry with a revitalized Calgary franchise or Fort McMurray getting their stadium built?

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 am

If there is a chance they would probably need 4 teams to make it happen. Don't see why the Canada thing never seemed to work out. Did have the CBL for a while there. Too much hockey on the brain I guess.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 pm

[quote=""Eddie""]If there is a chance they would probably need 4 teams to make it happen.[/quote]

I think two teams would be the bare minimum but the demise of Calgary has severley hurt Edmonton's chances of returning to pro-ball any time soon. I suspect that having two teams in Alberta doubles the chances of any league wanting to admit Edmonton - so, if I were the Edmonton owner, I would consider temporary support or ownership of a team in Calgary to get things off the ground.

I don't think we can really consider Fort McMurray into the equation until they get their stadium built - they could be ready for 2013 but I am increasingly skeptical about that.

Saskatoon has been frequently mentioned as a possible site for a western team but I don't know if they have an appropriate facility there either.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

AA had the 2 and it didn't work. It's a scheduling nightmare for cash strapped teams that are trying to survive.

Saskatoon has a WMBL team don't they. DOn't know if they'd coexist or kick them out.

If FortMc can get going I can see a 4th team but it's not one that was mentioned.

4 teams gives teams a long road trip and not just go play 8 games then come back again and again.

Travel ain't cheap anymore.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm

[quote=""Eddie""]AA had the 2 and it didn't work.[/quote]

Edmonton has never been part of the AA, however, you may be referring to their stint in the Northern League.

I agree that travel costs are the killer and 4 western Canadian teams would be a far better situation than only 2.

I don't see, however, 4 teams emerging in time for the 2013 season so if the league makes 4 a requirement than pro baseball will stay dark in Alberta in 2013 - at least that's my prediction.

3 new teams would make for a even number in the AA so maybe 3 is the magic number?

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm

NoL, AA...is there that much of a difference...

3 still leaves an very unbalanced schedule. You'd probably have the Canadian teams playing each other most of the season.

There are other cities in Canada with ballparks that could be ready for a 2013 season. Just don't see it happening unless they all get on the same page and Fort Mc needs to give up on this GBL/NABL, NAL/Whatever They Are Next Week thing because Edmonton isn't going back there.

I have my thoughts on a whole new league including Canada teams.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 pm

[quote=""Eddie""]NoL, AA...is there that much of a difference...[/quote]

I think there is sufficient difference - yes.

[quote=""Eddie""]I have my thoughts on a whole new league including Canada teams.[/quote]

So do I but probably not an appropriate discussion for the AA forum.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Wed May 02, 2012 9:13 pm

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]I think there is sufficient difference - yes.
[/quote]

Well teams in the AA came from the league. Better management, etc but still same region.

There are 4 locations I think are prime in Canada right now. Well let's say 3 and a possible. And then you have Fort Mc if they can do what they say.

If teams only have to make 1-2 trips to Canada it makes it a lot easier on them, especially the low budget teams.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Fri May 18, 2012 4:07 pm

With the new AWBL and the old NAL Northern Division fighting for teams in the western USA in 2013 I think that the former NAL Canadian teams have become orphaned - so, Edmonton, Calgary and Fort Mac have almost no choice but to seek entry into the AA. Having said that, here are my percentage odds on what might happen as of May 18, 2012:

join AA in 2013 .............................. 50%
stay dark in 2013 ........................... 30%
create new Canadian only league ...... 20%
rejoin NAL Northern division .............. 0%
join AWBL ..................................... 0%
join AtL ........................................ 0%

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Sun May 20, 2012 12:08 am

AtL? Wow that's reaching.....
But AWBL said they don't want Canada so that has to be 0%
If the Goldeyes are really pushing for more Canadian teams and those teams are actiuvely trying then I see the 3 going to the AA if they can work out the monetary part. Because they had a huge subsidy last time they were in the AA.

It's AA or dark. Can't see how the AWBL will survive with the dumb decisions they have made so far and the NAL is barely a beer league at this point.

Return to “AA”