Edmonton Capitals move to AA in 2013?

The American Association (AA) forum
DJ Omnimaga
Site Admin

Post by DJ Omnimaga » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 am

Question: If the Can-Am league ever merged with the American Association as a Northeast division (assuming enough team survived the merge, which I assume 4 or 5 is required, seeing each division got that amount of teams), what would happen with the Edmonton Capitals and Quebec Capitales names if both joined the league? Would one team be forced to change name or would they be allowed to keep them like how in the Canadian Football League there used to be two Roughriders teams (the second one being Ottawa)? It would definitively be strange to have one league with two teams with (almost) identical names (the only one being that one of them is French), though, but a name change in Quebec would be disastrous as their team has been called the Capitales in their 13 years of existence.
Last edited by DJ Omnimaga on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 am

[quote=""DJ Omnimaga""]Question: If the Can-Am league ever merged with the American Association as a Northeast division (assuming enough team survived the merge, which I assume 4 or 5 is required, seeing each division got that amount of teams), what would happen with the Edmonton Capitals and Quebec Capitales names if both joined the league? [/quote]

They'd probably let both teams stand pat.

Not only is there the CFL precedent, but when the AHL absorbed the remnants of the failing IHL, the league wound up with two sets of Admirals (Milwaukee from the IHL, Norfolk from the AHL), and both teams maintain their names today.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:58 pm

[quote=""robster2001""]They'd probably let both teams stand pat.
[/quote]

I agree. The cost of renaming a team is not insignificant and I would be surprised if the AA required either team to change their name.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:40 am

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]I agree. The cost of renaming a team is not insignificant and I would be surprised if the AA required either team to change their name.[/quote]

Especially since both leagues share the same commissioner.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Twitter message September 13:

"Rexall Sports Entertainment continues to pursue a new league for the Caps; we remain confident there will be pro ball at TELUS Field in 2013"

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Well, another month has passed with no firm news from the Edmonton Capitals on their plans for 2013. Since no schedule has been released by the AA there is still hope that Edmonton might be included.

I think, however, that we are approaching a danger zone where plans *must* be announced in order to ensure a successful marketing campaign to resurrect pro ball in Edmonton.

Inevitably, one has to wonder about the wisdom of a hockey team owning a baseball team. Has the NHL lockout and/or the aborted new coliseum deal in Edmonton taken away from our ability to get baseball back on track?

We know without a doubt that a football team owning a baseball team was a real *BAD* idea for Edmonton when they sold off our AAA team - are Edmonton baseball fans about to get the short end of the stick once again?

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:00 pm

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]Well, another month has passed with no firm news from the Edmonton Capitals on their plans for 2013. Since no schedule has been released by the AA there is still hope that Edmonton might be included.

I think, however, that we are approaching a danger zone where plans *must* be announced in order to ensure a successful marketing campaign to resurrect pro ball in Edmonton.

Inevitably, one has to wonder about the wisdom of a hockey team owning a baseball team. Has the NHL lockout and/or the aborted new coliseum deal in Edmonton taken away from our ability to get baseball back on track?

We know without a doubt that a football team owning a baseball team was a real *BAD* idea for Edmonton when they sold off our AAA team - are Edmonton baseball fans about to get the short end of the stick once again?[/quote]

I am concerned about the Caps if Katz does move the Oilers. Likely, the City of Edmonton and the Katz Group will get things done. But if they don't, I really don't see Katz owning a NHL team in Seattle or Quebec City and a Indy League baseball team in Edmonton. I really think the only reason the Caps exist(ed) was to allow the sales and marketing people to have full-time jobs in the spring and summer (since the Oilers weren't doing much in that regard) and for Katz to have a lost leader on his books to allow for some write-offs.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Well, the American Association teams have begun to release their 2013 schedule and it does NOT look like the Edmonton Capitals are included so that would probably mean that pro baseball in Edmonton is finished - maybe for good. I blame Rexall Sports and Mr. Katz for not really caring about baseball - otherwise, something could have been done.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Something can always be done if someone else is willing to pay for it. There really isn't an alternative that makes economic sense for Edmonton right now.

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I blame Rexall Sports and Mr. Katz for not really caring about baseball - otherwise, something could have been done.
I would think they care, otherwise there would have never been baseball in Edmonton in the first place. People don't put their money and lives into these things if they don't care. Many other ways to make a lot more money.

Caring is one thing - economics is another. At some point you have to look at what's possible and figure out if it makes sense financially. It's obvious that indy baseball, at this time, doesn't make sense for Edmonton. Doesn't mean it never will.

Return to “AA”