Edmonton Capitals move to AA in 2013?

The American Association (AA) forum
Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:54 am

[quote=""G Lindenbach""]Orv Franchuk, the manager of the Edmonton Capitals, was interviewed on CTV news tonight and he stated that the Capitals would be back in 2013 in a "different" league - he would not elaborate on what that meant.[/quote]

Western Canadian Super Mega Ultra Stars League :)

I think Canada is more likely than anything else right now. Just because of distance and no dance partners.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 pm

[quote=""E-TownCaps""]American Association. Believe it :D [/quote]

I would like to. I would rather see visiting teams from the US than from Moose Jaw. It might be a harder sell for a Western Canadian only league after all these years of having teams come in from exotic locations.

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:46 am

[quote=""E-TownCaps""]A Western Canadian League is not going to happen. I will leave it at that.

Article on the Winnipeg Goldeyes website written by the voice of the Goldeyes Paul Edmonds says that he believes Edmonton will be add to the list of AA teams for the 2013 season, and Fort McMurray to be added in 2014 when there ballpark is complete. Poor Calgary get it together.

Read the article for yourself. It's just Paul's opinion, but he has been with the Goldeyes doing play by play for over 15 years.[/quote]
The "voice" isn't exactly who I'd go to for actual fact but he may know more than most.

The problem is that Edmonton is all alone. They may have to pay a very hefty subsidy or see Winnipeg a whole lot of times.

if the 3 teams all came in at once or there was a plan for it then I'd lean more that way.

I say it's 50/50 on WCL(ok, I'm sure it might have a better name than Western Canada League) or AA but only if they can get their "ducks in a row" or find a way to subsidize the low end teams of the AA. They're the ones that would be a problem when adding teams so far out.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

I would be very surprised if Edmonton was admitted to the AA without Calgary joining at the same time. The lack of any news at all out of Calgary is troubling. I still think the only way to guarantee pro ball in Edmonton in 2013 is for a Calgary team to be reborn - one way or another.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Thirty days to make an announcement?

Post by G Lindenbach » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Well folks, here we are on August 17th patiently waiting for the Edmonton Capitals to make some sort of an annoucement on their plans for pro ball in Edmonton in 2013.

I would submit that we have now entered about a 30-45 day window wherein an annoucement must be made since leagues like the AA tend to release their next season's schedules in late September or early October.

Your thoughts? Agree/disagree?

pilots13
Site Admin

Post by pilots13 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Not necessarily. I seem to remember both S-B moved to Laredo in November and FtW dropped out to the NAL about the same time, then it was sometime after that the combined schedule with the Can-Am league came out. Ideally they would like things squared away by then, but with the volatility of indy ball lately, it's more likely we will know the formal lineup and schedule by Christmastime.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Good points. From a marketing perspective, even if a schedule is not released, I'm sure that the Edmonton Capitals would be better off with an annoucement about their proposed future sooner rather than later. Bringing the team back and promoting season ticket sales requires as much lead time as possible. If it's the AA that they are joining, then it should be an easy sell - if something else, goodness knows how local ball fans might react after watching a horrible Propects season at Telus field.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 pm

[quote=""E-TownCaps""]I fully expect all of the teams currently in the American Association to return in 2013.[/quote]

Word is El Paso may be gone because the city fathers want Class AAA affiliated ball (of course El Paso struggled to support Texas League AA ball for its final years there).

Eddie
Site Admin

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 am

El Paso may still play this coming year but after that they may be gone.

G Lindenbach
Site Admin

Post by G Lindenbach » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Still waiting for an official announcement from the Edmonton Capitals about their plans for 2013, however, from the Edmonton Journal August 23:

Patrick LaForge, the custodian of the dormant independent baseball franchise owned by the Edmonton Oilers, will not toss aside the prospect of Triple A ball eventually returning to the city.

But the immediate focus is on the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball.

“We think we could be in that league and they think we’d be a fine addition,” LaForge said about the AAIPB. “We’re just talking through the details.”

“This would be very doable for next summer,” said LaForge, the Oilers CEO, “but there are still some things to be done.”

Return to “AA”