The Little Extras in Gary in Pics and Video

The American Association (AA) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The Little Extras in Gary in Pics and Video

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat May 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Some people seem to believe May 21, 2011 was judgment day. Maybe this is what those left behind from the rapture have to look forward to for eternity. Hmmmm. Or maybe this is a minor league baseball promotion prior to the regular Friday night fireworks display. Click the video below to view.

Fool Nelson
Site Admin

Kenny..where you been?

Post by Fool Nelson » Sun May 29, 2011 9:19 pm

KennethHap!

Everybody on nlfan.com is wondering where you have been! Are you cheating on us here? Well, you've been found out, good pardner! :)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Fool Nelson (I like that user name, by the way),

I've been hanging out here for years and years. I stopped posting on nlfan.com because too many people were just making stuff up. I couldn't take it anymore. :)

Were you at US SteelYard when the burning man ran the bases? Best promotion I've ever seen at the ballpark. Better than last year's promotion during Bark at the Park when monkeys riding border collies herded goats into a pen. Note: One of the border collies apparently forgot it had a monkey on its back and the dog ran under a pickup truck. Darn near took the monkey's head off. :smile:

Fool Nelson
Site Admin

Post by Fool Nelson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Come on back to nlfan, hap! Don't let the JAMFs (*) run you away. (* Consult the late, legendary saxophonist Johnny Griffin's bio for a definition). :infun:

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Fathers Day wasn't a big enough promotion, so fathers had to share the day with the 2nd Annual Bark in the Park promotion. Hence, the second annual appearance of Coco the wonder dog (I just made up the wonder dog part).

My understanding is Coco ripped off her dress and pink bow when she got home. Even a dog knows canine clothes are not for canines--just for humans...who like dressing animals, I guess.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Rumble at the Railcats

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:59 am

Saturday Night Boxing, July 30, 2011. The Railcats sponsored a professional boxing event, Rumble at the Railcats, while the baseball team was on the road. Great use of an otherwise empty ballpark, in my opinion. There was a good crowd for boxing, as can be seen in the first pic. Click on the second pic to view the video.

Video

Fool Nelson
Site Admin

Post by Fool Nelson » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm

I imagine the event was good, but it seemed to have messed up the turf. There is a rather ugly area of neglected grass behind home plate. That's not a BFD, I know, but that big patch of bad grass takes the luster off of what is quite a beautiful field.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:30 pm

[quote=""Fool Nelson""]I imagine the event was good, but it seemed to have messed up the turf. There is a rather ugly area of neglected grass behind home plate. That's not a BFD, I know, but that big patch of bad grass takes the luster off of what is quite a beautiful field.[/quote]

I saw that bad patch behind the plate too. There were plywood planks to protect the turf. Maybe some of the plywood was treated and that actually damaged some of the turf. However, I think the brutally hot weather contributed to the turf taking so long to recover too.

Using the ballpark while the team is on the road is a win-win. Gary gets a diversity of entertainment and the team gets exposure to potential new fans. I had not attended a boxing match in years. Back then the sport was more mainstream. Now it seems to be more of a subculture sport with MMA being so popular. The people sitting in my section (male AND female) looked like they were ready and able to go a few rounds. It was as if I needed to hit the speed bag before taking my seat. LOL.

It was a great time at the ballpark though. I'd like to see more concerts at the ballpark too...as long as I don't have to sing before reaching my seat. 8)
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]Using the ballpark while the team is on the road is a win-win. Gary gets a diversity of entertainment and the team gets exposure to potential new fans.[/quote]

That's why Wichita went to a full artificial turf before the start of this season (it used to be turf infield, grass outfield). Between the AA games, the National Baseball Congress tournaments (summer college wood bat), junior college regional tournament games and high school games, close to 200 games were played on the field. While traditionalists may not like it, without artificial turf, the stadium was reduced to dirt by end of the season.
The biggest change to the game itself is bunting. Instead of trying to drag a bunt down the line, you try to shoot it out to the shortstop or second baseball, or try to get it past the third baseman when he tries to charge forward.

IndyGuy45
Site Admin

Turf

Post by IndyGuy45 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 pm

You see alot more teams going to the turf. I hope here in Winnipeg we go to it as well and then we could play alot more games at Shaw Park.

Return to “AA”