Gary's Bus.

The American Association (AA) forum
alkalinefan
Site Admin

Gary's Bus.

Post by alkalinefan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 pm

With Gary getting into the AA I hope their bus gets good gas mileage and is comfortable.Just going over recent info if they join the AA they will be over 500 miles away from their closest division foes(KC,S.City,andLincoln).And over 700 miles from Wichita.What happens if El Paso and Gary meet in the post-season.That would be a 1500 mile trip.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:50 am

[quote=""ca""]just shot themselves in the financial foot going to this travel fiasco laden loop of the aa[/quote]

I copied your quote from General Baseball and I'm replying here.

First, Pat Salvi (Railcats owner) has deep pockets. Second, Salvi is doing what he feels is right for the organization considering the worldwide economic situation and considering the teams he went over to the AA with are less unstable. Third, considering the worldwide economic situation, expect to see a lot more movement with franchises in the future...and some of that movement may be back and forth. There's no stability anywhere. Sponsorships have dried-up and so has revenue from fans, IMO. The country is out of work (I think that's a line from the movie Grapes of Wrath.

You still think the Frontier League is the way to go? That's like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire...but who knows what the future holds. Personally, I don't see the economic picture improving anytime soon. Anything can happen.

ca
Site Admin

ken that quote ...

Post by ca » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:21 am

you made of "there's no stability anywhere" imo is spot on and i'd put the fl under that category as well . so i guess gary made a lesser of the evils although maybe a hasty choice in going to the aa when the nol may still have some viability .

Zeyes
Site Admin

Post by Zeyes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 am

[quote=""ca""]the nol may still have some viability .[/quote]
Getting a franchise in the Detroit metro area would fix 'em right up, I'm sure.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 am

[quote=""alkalinefan""]With Gary getting into the AA I hope their bus gets good gas mileage and is comfortable.Just going over recent info if they join the AA they will be over 500 miles away from their closest division foes(KC,S.City,andLincoln).And over 700 miles from Wichita.What happens if El Paso and Gary meet in the post-season.That would be a 1500 mile trip.[/quote]

Go figure. As of this date, the Railcats have the strongest lineup I've ever seen them field (and I've followed them all ten years of their existence). Lots of travel, but first place in their division.

Go figure again. As of this date, Fargo has the weakest lineup I've ever seen them field (and I've followed them as long as I've followed the Railcats). Now in the AA. Lots of teams close by for travel, but in the middle of the pack in their division (and I expect Doug to do something about that before season's end).

Fargo won two Northern League championships in a row the last two seasons of the Northern League's existence. They had extensive travel because of no close teams in the Northern League. Go figure. Travel doesn't seem to affect a team's performance. The pocketbook may be another matter though.

Return to “AA”