Tijuana's Opening Day July 2nd: True or False

The United League Baseball (ULB) forum
Alejandro Robles
Site Admin

Post by Alejandro Robles » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Thank you very much Rock Strongo, you've just made a favor to our people and to myself.
In other baseball issues, Mario Mendoza, former Major League shortstop has left the vacant as manager of the Tijuana Potros.
This was announced in a local sports news by Mario Mendoza, in a telephone call made by the Tv host.
This is getting worse for the club, as the problems are just beginning. Who's next? The players?

Rock Strongo
Site Admin

Post by Rock Strongo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Hey Alex,
No Biggie,

Now speaking of baseball, it's hard to accept it but this in not gonna happen, we gotta' stop for a minute and ask ourselves, what kind of league introduces a new team in the middle of the season? i think we as fans need to be treated with a little more respect than that.

Now i'm wondering what the people from San Angelo, Amarillo, and the other cities will think of this, will they see this as an unfair thing for their teams? What's gonna happen to the standings? Will we have a shot at the championship knowing we'll be quite a few games behind of the rest of the league?

Just like Minor league Man said "Los Potros shoulda just waited it out for the 2010 GBL season"

Aleeets
Site Admin

Post by Aleeets » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:41 am

Simple as that, The ULB does, dont you read well?? can you really know how to read. you make us shamed because your dumbs and poor writing, so please shutted looks better. c 'a

Alejandro Robles
Site Admin

Post by Alejandro Robles » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 am

hahahaha Aleeets, i'm really starting to think you're Jose Manuel Peña.

Rock Strongo
Site Admin

Post by Rock Strongo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Aleets, You gotta' be kidding!

i didn't say who, i said what kind of league, i think there's a big difference.

But Thanks for proving my point anyway. (see previous post)

elpaso
Site Admin

Post by elpaso » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:56 am

I would say this issue is DEAD.

Based on the article from the San angelo newspaper.

No Colts trips to Tijuana this year

The Tijuana Potros will not join United League Baseball this season.

Despite a report on the ULB Web site last week, San Angelo Colts’ general manager Mike Babcock confirmed Tuesday that the team from Mexico would not be entering the league at midseason this year.

The article saying the Potros would be a member of the league this season has been removed from the ULB Web site, but the league had announced on July 2 that the Tijuana team would be joining the league for the second half of the season and revised schedules would be released soon.

“It is not going to happen,” Babcock said.

As early as late May rumors began to spread on the ULB forum at oursportscentral.com and the Potros’ own Web site reported that they would become a ULB member.

The Potros played in the Mexican League the last three seasons and made the playoffs in two of those seasons.

The team held a press conference at the end of May and announced that it was already part of the United League and would begin league play on June 11 along with the other six teams.

June 11 rolled around and the league began play without Tijuana.

On June 19, the Potros held another press conference again announcing their inclusion in the United League and that they would begin play in the league on July 2. With that announcement, rumors began to circulate about the Petroleros of Venezuela being added to the league as well.

Babcock said that there were plans for the Potros to join the league this season but that the club couldn’t raise the money to join. Tijuana would have had to pay a league fee of $500,000, but that amount might have been reduced if it had joined at midseason.

The Potros also said they would pay for travel to Mexico for the six teams already in the league.

In the end, it amounted to too much money for the Potros to come up with this season. There will be no schedule change and the ULB will finish this season with the six teams that it began the year with.

However, Babcock is not ruling out Tijuana joining the ULB next season, along with the Venezuelan team. That, in addition to at least one team from the Dallas area, could make the ULB a formidable eight- or 10-team league next season.

The United League was formed in 2006 and is in its fourth season. The league began with six teams — Laredo, Alexandria, Rio Grande Valley, Edinburg, Amarillo and San Angelo. Since its inception, the only change occurred this season when Alexandria left for the Continental League and was replaced by Coastal Bend.

The ULB had a rocky offseason with owner Brad Wendt filing for bankruptcy and the league’s founders, Byron Pierce and John Bryant, repurchasing the league to keep it in business.

That reason alone made the announcement to add a team in the middle of the season a head-scratcher. The league is still trying to get back on its feet following all that turmoil.

Expansion has been talked about since the league began and, while it hasn’t happened so far, it has been guaranteed for next season. The Dallas-based team already has begun work on a 10,000-seat stadium along the Trinity River for play next summer.

Roster moves

The Colts made several roster moves coming off their eight-game road trip earlier this week. In Laredo, third baseman Bryan Frichter broke his nose. He is expected to have surgery on Friday and a date for his return is unknown. Frichter leads the league in several offensive categories.

First baseman Nick Mahin sprained his ankle. He has missed the entire homestand but could return as early as Friday.

To replace them, the Colts signed Josh Collazo to fill in at first base and Blake Shaffer to play at third. In their first game for San Angelo on Monday, Collazo had a two-run single and Shaffer had a walk-off triple in the Colts’ 8-7 win over Laredo.

The Colts have also signed former Angelo State standout Kenny Elkind to bolster its pitching staff. At ASU last spring, Elkind was 10-4 with a 4.29 ERA and led the Rams to the South Central Regional tournament.

Nathan Wright is the assistant sports editor for the Standard-Times. His San Angelo Colts column appears every Thursday. Contact him at nwright@gosanangelo.com or (325) 659-8258.

Alejandro Robles
Site Admin

Post by Alejandro Robles » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 am

This is very strange... In the Tijuana Potros Official Website are announcing a series against the Venezuela Oilers, for days Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In addition, the club annnounced promotions for the weekend.
But honestly, i believe more in the news from that newpaper than the Potros Website.

Aleeets
Site Admin

Post by Aleeets » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:37 am

and believe it or not, they played tonight. :eek:

Rock Strongo
Site Admin

Post by Rock Strongo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

And for what league was that?

Alejandro Robles
Site Admin

Post by Alejandro Robles » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:50 am

Peluche Panamerican Baseball League