New CBL forum

The United League Baseball (ULB) forum
MJHankel
Site Admin

New CBL forum

Post by MJHankel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Just wanted to let anybody know, particularly Aces fans but who knows in the coming weeks maybe other teams' fans too,

There is a new forum focused on the Continental Baseball League it is broken down by team.

So if you want to continue to discuss the Aces or any other team that may join hop over to the new forum. But be sure to come back here for everything else. I sure do.

CBLFan.forumer.com

(This forum was inspired by NLFAN's forum design which I tend to hang around and like a lot)

hopeisreal@fastmail.net
Site Admin

Latest CBL News

Post by hopeisreal@fastmail.net » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:13 pm

The CBL is a joke! Baron is a snake oil saleman. They were supposed to publish this year's schedule over a mnonth ago. Who do they think they are kidding calling a team "Southern Louisian?" It is just a travel team funded entirely by Baron. The Aces should bail to another league next year. The Dallas team still doesn't have a logo or website. The League City team wouldn't survive if they weren't backed by the UFC. Talent goes elsewhere if there is any choice. The CBL should merge with the Golden league or United League and get it over with. Baron is just looking for a big payday when he can find a buyer to merge with.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:55 am

I have a few issues with your post, and a few comments as well.

[quote=""hopeisreal@fastmail.net""]The CBL is a joke! Baron is a snake oil saleman.[/quote]
Your statement is relative. The CBL is a low level indy league. Low level by design. They make no claims that it is anything more. Nearly all there press releases talk about how they have a small budget and smaller salary cap. They make it very clear. The CBL is not the Northern League or even the Frontier League. There salary caps do not allow this. By design it is generally a rookie league. It also serves a purpose in allowing players that may not have played in college a chance to show what they have to offer.
They were supposed to publish this year's schedule over a mnonth ago.

Multiple things made this impossible. First, they were holding out for the result of the bankruptcy of the ULB. They gained the Aces as a result. After the ULB reorganized under new control they had to fill in holes. The Dallas/Mckinney team had to get problems with financing cleared up. Finally, the new team in Alpine had to complete its ownership group. All these things had to be cleared up.
Who do they think they are kidding calling a team "Southern Louisian?" It is just a travel team funded entirely by Baron.

Umm... where do you get your info? Seriously, this claim is asinine at best. First, the team name is South Louisiana Pipeliners. Second, they already stated from the very beginning that it was a travel team. Third, (now this is where you are crazy) They are not officially a CBL franchise. They are simply a showcase team owned and operated by the Southern Louisiana . They are based in Morgan City, Louisiana. They practice at the Southern Louisiana Sports Academy.
The Aces should bail to another league next year.

The Aces were never a great fit for the ULB. They are a smaller locale. Financially the CBL is better suited to their attendance. There stadium is also more suited to the CBL.
The Dallas team still doesn't have a logo or website.

No, they do not have a logo, but yes they do have a website. It is dallasaviators.com, geez how hard was that?
The League City team wouldn't survive if they weren't backed by the UFC.
I don't even know how to respond to this other than, where do you get your facts? Show me a link to this cause, your facts have been crap so far.
Talent goes elsewhere if there is any choice.
This is a given. When you have ultra low pay, of course players want to go elsewhere if they can. That is a duh. That is like saying that players in the Atlantic League would go play for the Yankees if they had the choice. :eek: This statement is irrational. Again as I sayed, they have been quite honest about there level of play. Some don't like it, some do. Players in ALL indy and minor leagues are aiming to get to the next best thing. That is, all players that are trying to reach the bigs. Some players in all leagues simply play because they enjoy the game or perhaps the team is close to home.
The CBL should merge with the Golden league or United League and get it over with.

Hmm.... I will state it one last time. The CBL has a very low operating budget. Team owners would likely be unable to pay league fees, let alone be able to put a competitive team on the field in a higher league. Another thought, Th ULB, though it has been around a little while, it essentially just was reborn. It is unproven. Heck, if it is anything like it was, it is not something to be desired. The GBL is a stretch in many ways. Stretchin it all the way down to Texas with low budget teams would make zero economic sense.
Baron is just looking for a big payday when he can find a buyer to merge with.
If this is the case, he is a crazy person. Independent minor league sports are rarely great money makers. Also, if he has decided that he wants out of something he obviously got into because of a personal desire than that is his own choice. In life, people try many things.

Seriously, I know that the CBL is not the most competitive. I also no that it is a long shot. There are many problems but there has been some success. A few nice teams, and they are heading into their third season. Fill free to gripe, and point out flaws, but please get your facts straight.

And before you think that I am related to the league or a team, think again. I would like to be, but I am not. I am just a guy with a hobby of indy sports.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:10 pm

[quote=""hopeisreal@fastmail.net""]The CBL is a joke! Baron is a snake oil salesman. [/quote]
I don't know him personally, but based on what I've read about him and the league he seems upfront with what the league is all about. To me he would be a snake oil salesman if he was claiming that the CBL was something that it is not (i.e. Joe with the ABA). He seems like a guy passionate about the sport and hopes to grow his league.

I believe that there is definitely a niche for this type of league. There are communities all over the country without minor league baseball. Most of these cities/towns are never going to get an affiliated team or an established indy league team anytime soon. So, there is an opportunity for the CBL and other similar leagues to develop around the country. I'd personally like to see such a league here in the Southeast with communities like: Anderson, SC; Hendersonville, NC; Spartanburg, SC; Sumter, SC; Macon, GA; Albany, GA.

hopeisreal@fastmail.net
Site Admin

Post by hopeisreal@fastmail.net » Sat May 02, 2009 3:11 am

I'll give you the point that the CBL is what it is and will really never be more than a "rookie league." You supported almost everything I sad although oin different words. The Dallas web site went up after I made my comment. Then they bailed out on this seaosn mysteriously (do you know why?). Some research on your part would support the UFC connection in League City. Have you ever spoken with Baron? Why do you think the franchise fee went up to $75,000. And the team repl;acving the Dallas team is...... a Baron funded travel team (surprised?).

Return to “ULB”