So long to the Portland Beavers

The Pacific Coast League (PCL) forum
aardvark
Site Admin

So long to the Portland Beavers

Post by aardvark » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:14 pm

The Portland Beavers are on the move--allegedly to north San Diego County in 2012 by way of Lake Elsinore and San Diego next season. Now, it is up to the city of Escondido to get rolling on the new park to have it ready by April of 2012. In the meatime, I hope at some point Portland will build a new park. My condolences to all of the baseball fans in Portland.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:41 am

Aardvark I second that my condolences to the Portland Beavers PCL fans. Hopefully someday they get some kind of organized baseball back very sad. That had to be emotional tonight for the Portland Beavers baseball fans out there seeing 15,000 plus fans show up.

Next year is going to be when it really hits Portland Beavers PCL baseball fans in April when everyone is playing baseball in america and the city of Portland isn't. The largest city in america with no organized professional baseball wow that is all I can say is wow. From looking at major league baseball with the Montreal Expos a few years back to nothing shameful that is all I can say shameful letting MLS run the city of Portland's business with there soccer specific non sense.

No way would that have gotten my vote if I sat on the city of Portland's council MLS soccer would do it with the Portland Beavers PCL team playing there too or not at all at PGE Park. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

nwibl.org
Site Admin

Northwest Independent Baseball League has the answer

Post by nwibl.org » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 am

With the advent of the Portland Beavers leaving Portland at the end of the 2010 season everyone is asking what will happen to baseball in Portland next season (2011). The Northwest Independent Baseball League has the answer.

Come see Semi-professional baseball played with local teams and players form the Portland's and Vancouver area. Fourteen teams play baseball from May through August at Walker and Sckavone Stadiums (see schedule at NWIBL.ORG) in Southeast Portland. Teams consist of players with High School, College, and Professional experience and are looking for local sponsorship.

The 2011 seasons looks for the league to expand with up to 4 new teams (Portland Yankees, Westmoreland Red Sox, the Vaughn Street Bee's, and a team to be named from the Oregon City area). Players within the two divisions can continue their passion playing base ball at the highest level. Players follow modified MLB rules, using wood bats.

nwibl.org
Site Admin

theres still baseball in Portland now and forever

Post by nwibl.org » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 am

Come see Semi-professional baseball played with local teams and players form the Portland's and Vancouver area. Fourteen teams play baseball from May through August at Walker and Sckavone Stadiums (see schedule at NWIBL.ORG) in Southeast Portland. Teams consist of players with High School, College, and Professional experience and are looking for local sponsorship.

NEW TEAMS FOR 2011
The Vaughn Street Bee's, Portland Yankees and the Westmorland Red Sox are expansion teams for the Northwest Independent Baseball League a 14 team Semi-Pro 18 and older baseball league based in Portland OR. Six Teams will play in the NWIBL fall 2010 season and be ready to play league games in the spring of 2011. With the addition of these teams and one from Oregon city NWIBL will expand to 18 teams to begin the 2011 season.

These teams are looking for new players with Varsity High School, College, and Professional experience. Baseball players that are wanting to continue their baseball passion and competitive sprit can sign up at NWIBL.ORG. Now's your chance to play in Portland's premier 18 and older Wood Bat Northwest Independent Baseball League. If your a solid Baseball Coach and willing to manage we need you...

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:02 am

I wonder if they refused to build a new minor league park because some folks there have eyes on a Major League team? That was the issue in Charlotte, NC the past few years where the minor league park was held up because some faction wanted to try and attract a Major League team.

And why not, they should start flirting with Oakland and Tampa Bay. Las Vegas is already flirting, but I don't think MLB wants a team in Vegas. I think the Rays could be had. People in Tampa just don't care about them. And they are gonna be good for a number of years. Young talent, deep system.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Aaron Fentress is covering the Timbers and various other things at The Oregonian. He's a baseball fan first and foremost.

He's the guy who revealed that the Beavers sold 150 season tickets this season. Obviously, with all that's gone down, even I expect the numbers to go south under protest.

Thing is, in 2005, from the numbers I've got, there were 818 equivalents. Is that enough in a 19,566-capacity stadium?

Hell no.

I wrote this facebook ditty, and made four points:

Converting the stadium constantly costs a lot of moolah.

The Mariners are 175 miles away, and Mr. Fentress tells us that there's more Portlanders at Mariners games than Beavers games.

PGE Park housed baseball, but was never accepted as a ballpark.

Finally, the original lease was torn up 3 years in, the PCL demands a drop in rent as a condition of them taking over in 2004, and the city sold the 2000 renovations as self-funding. Many blame the city, and they share in the blame, and I share in the blame, but so does the PCL. Really, baseball shares, too.

The GBL Medford guy has taken over the biggest Facebook page devoted to saving the Beavers. Not literally, just in terms of content. My message: every reference made towards linking with Seattle is part of the problem, not the solution. They love the death of the Beavers- more money for them. Just saying.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Aesculus
Site Admin

Where do you get this stuff Pounder?

Post by Aesculus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 am

Having received the Oregonian on at least a Sunday basis since relocating to Portland (Cedar Mill/Sullivan's Gulch/St. Johns/Scappoose) and daily since 1999 (wife is a comic aficionado), I have no reason to believe that Aaron Fentress is "first and foremost a baseball fan". If anything, Mr. Fentress has to give consideration to the fact that his readership will consist of fans of an active soccer team and not an active baseball team.

But, what can I say, you work the refs well in your Machiavellian way. Just a little more salt in the wound, I suppose.

Also, I'd just like to point out that the whole dealing done back in 2000 that brought both the Beavers (and Timbers) back from the dead was stinky from the start, and even involved Enron via their then subsidiary Portland General Electric. It clearly was built on over-promising. I don't know much (though probably not any more than Pounder) about the actual deal, but I'm sure that Mayor Katz and Portland Family Entertainment (PFE) fixed the deal so that the numbers would work on paper. Then PFE proceeded to spend "dot-com" style and right into bankruptcy.

At least the old hometown and my Alma Mater are representing well this year. Through the magic of the internet and someone scheduling my high school reunion in October, I might just get to see them both play in person.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Machiavelli? Drama queen much?

Aaron Fentress answers comments to his articles and tells people he barely gets soccer and is a baseball fan.

Your comments about the 2000 renovation aren't totally off the rocker, but those numbers come down to Marshall Glickman and Mark Gardiner. Gardiner worked with the city previously as finance director. Thing is, are you saying we should have kept the Portland Rockies? Was keeping the stadium in poorer condition an option?
Last edited by Pounder on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

nwibl.org
Site Admin

Ok Fans I need your Help! Will a few of you Manage a 18 + Adult Team?

Post by nwibl.org » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 pm

4 New Teams are looking for Managers and new players with Varsity High School, College, and Professional experience. Baseball players that are wanting to continue their baseball passion and competitive spirit can sign up at NWIBL.ORG. Now's your chance to play in Portland's premier 18 and older Wood Bat Northwest Independent Baseball League.

If your a solid Baseball Coach and willing to manage I need you...

If your a fan and want to keep good baseball here in Portland then step up and take over managing one of the new teams...(see http://www.nwibl.org with 14 existing Portland area teams) become a part of Portland Baseball games played in Sckavone and Walker Stadiums May through September

aardvark
Site Admin

Post by aardvark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 am

The next step in the travels of the team formerly known as the Portland Beavers has been taken, as the Escondido City Council voted 4-1 in favor of building a new ballpark for the club. Hopefully, with no unforseen obstacles, the park should be ready by April of 2013. The team name has not been chosen as yet. They will play the 2011 season, and probably 2012, in Tucson.
Last edited by aardvark on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “PCL”