So long to the Portland Beavers

The Pacific Coast League (PCL) forum
Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:29 am

[quote=""aardvark""]The next step in the travels of the team formerly known as the Portland Beavers has been taken, as the Escondido City Council voted 4-1 in favor of building a new ballpark for the club. Hopefully, with no unforseen obstacles, the park should be ready by April of 2013. The team name has not been chosen as yet. They will play the 2011 season, and probably 2012, in Tucson.[/quote]

I am here to say I was wrong I admitted it. I am not afraid to admitt when I am wrong have a field day at me everyone because it is deserved because I was way wrong on my guess that the baseball stadium wouldn't passed by the council.

I can't believe Escondido, California got a triple-a baseball stadium passed in California but San Diego is on the verge of losing the San Diego Chargers NFL to Los Angeles. Amazing to me that in Sacramento there very close to losing NBA Sacramento Kings in that city. NFL could be leaving San Diego but Escondido, California is going to build a triple-a baseball stadium for San Diego to have two baseball teams. Am I on candid camera or something to strange to me. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""] California is going to build a triple-a baseball stadium for San Diego to have two baseball teams. Am I on candid camera or something to strange to me. Let's Go Buffalo[/quote]

30 miles away isn't having two baseball teams in San Diego. There are major advantages to having your AAA franchise close to the parent club. It's easier for major league rehab assignments and it's more efficient to call up a player from the minors when they're just a 30 minute drive away. Isn't that why the Mets moved their AAA team from New Orleans to Buffalo, so they'd be closer? The Lehigh Valley Ironpigs of the AAA International League are just 50 miles away from their parent team, the Philadelphia Phillies yet they drew 645,905 fans in 70 home dates for an average of 9,227 per game, best in all minor league baseball. The Phillies also have their AA team in Reading,PA and low A team in Lakewood, NJ. All 3 of those teams are within 1 hour of Philadelphia. Besides the Ironpigs leading the minors in attendance per game, Reading's attendance was 2nd in the Eastern League and Lakewood was 1st in attendance in the South Atlantic League. Novel concept: Phillies fans are willing to drive a short distance to catch a glimpse of their future players. It works for the Phillies, why not the Padres? I don't think many Padres fans in San Diego were making the drive to Portland, Oregon to see their AAA team. Why not move the Mariners' AA team from Tennessee to Tacoma and move the AAA team from Tacoma to Portland?

aardvark
Site Admin

Post by aardvark » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:32 am

[quote=""Decal""]30 miles away isn't having two baseball teams in San Diego. There are major advantages to having your AAA franchise close to the parent club. It's easier for major league rehab assignments and it's more efficient to call up a player from the minors when they're just a 30 minute drive away. Isn't that why the Mets moved their AAA team from New Orleans to Buffalo, so they'd be closer? The Lehigh Valley Ironpigs of the AAA International League are just 50 miles away from their parent team, the Philadelphia Phillies yet they drew 645,905 fans in 70 home dates for an average of 9,227 per game, best in all minor league baseball. The Phillies also have their AA team in Reading,PA and low A team in Lakewood, NJ. All 3 of those teams are within 1 hour of Philadelphia. Besides the Ironpigs leading the minors in attendance per game, Reading's attendance was 2nd in the Eastern League and Lakewood was 1st in attendance in the South Atlantic League. Novel concept: Phillies fans are willing to drive a short distance to catch a glimpse of their future players. It works for the Phillies, why not the Padres? I don't think many Padres fans in San Diego were making the drive to Portland, Oregon to see their AAA team. Why not move the Mariners' AA team from Tennessee to Tacoma and move the AAA team from Tacoma to Portland?[/quote] You're right; it is too far to drive, so we flew. To continue your argument, how about moving a AA league out west? Our Advanced A team is just over an hour away in Lake Elsinore--AA someplace close by (and close by for all west coast teams) would be more cost effective, you would think.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:24 pm

[quote=""Decal""]30 miles away isn't having two baseball teams in San Diego. There are major advantages to having your AAA franchise close to the parent club. It's easier for major league rehab assignments and it's more efficient to call up a player from the minors when they're just a 30 minute drive away. Isn't that why the Mets moved their AAA team from New Orleans to Buffalo, so they'd be closer? The Lehigh Valley Ironpigs of the AAA International League are just 50 miles away from their parent team, the Philadelphia Phillies yet they drew 645,905 fans in 70 home dates for an average of 9,227 per game, best in all minor league baseball. The Phillies also have their AA team in Reading,PA and low A team in Lakewood, NJ. All 3 of those teams are within 1 hour of Philadelphia. Besides the Ironpigs leading the minors in attendance per game, Reading's attendance was 2nd in the Eastern League and Lakewood was 1st in attendance in the South Atlantic League. Novel concept: Phillies fans are willing to drive a short distance to catch a glimpse of their future players. It works for the Phillies, why not the Padres? I don't think many Padres fans in San Diego were making the drive to Portland, Oregon to see their AAA team. Why not move the Mariners' AA team from Tennessee to Tacoma and move the AAA team from Tacoma to Portland?[/quote]

Your right the New York Mets moved there triple-a team to Buffalo to be closer but the difference is the New York Mets don't own the Buffalo Bisons IL. I don't have a problem with the San Diego Padres having there triple-a team so close by. Just surprised that California finds the money for a triple-a team stadium that never played in California before and yet will sit and watch the San Diego Chargers NFL potentially move from San Diego to me that is very strange.

Same with the Sacramento Kings NBA problems getting a new arena. No money for them but money for triple-a baseball in California. I just find it strange that is all. As a Buffalonian we would save our major league teams first before minor league ones because major league teams bring more prestiage to a city. Like as much as all you guys know I am a huge fan of the Buffalo Bisons. But the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres would get money first before the Buffalo Bisons for stadium, arenas etc. And I am fine with that because they are bigger for the area. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:08 am

Just to clarify, while the NY Yankees appear to be taking over the ownership of their AAA team in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, I'm pretty sure the Phillies are not involved in the ownership of the AAA Lehigh Valley Ironpigs.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:06 am

[quote=""Decal""]Just to clarify, while the NY Yankees appear to be taking over the ownership of their AAA team in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, I'm pretty sure the Phillies are not involved in the ownership of the AAA Lehigh Valley Ironpigs.[/quote]

Your right the Philadelphia Phillies don't own the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs there just the PDC. See as much as alot of people here want to put two and two together with MLB teams owning there triple-a teams not all will be able to do that. Either because teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cleveland Indians etc don't have that kind of money like a bigger city MLB team. Or cities like Buffalo make too much money for a Bob Rich to ever sell the Buffalo Bisons to the New York Mets for peanuts it not going to happen.

It will never happen because not all triple-a teams are in the same finacial situation in every market. The Portland Beavers PCL were in bad shape and not many cared enough in Portland, Oregon to save them so San Diego jumped on it and got a deal. The Scranton-WB Yankees situation same deal a bad ballpark falling apart because it was poorly taking care of. And the fans there have lost interest were there third from the bottom in IL attendance.

That isn't always going to be the case so MLB fans thinking eventually all MLB teams will own there triple-a teams I don't see that ever happening because of what I stated about. As for fans making the drive to see there triple-a team that is a very very small percentage. If you have a MLB team in your market and that was the team you grew up with that is who your following. I follow the Buffalo Bisons because I grew up with them.

I followed them since 1979 when the Buffalo Bisons were double-a in the Eastern League. If your in a triple-a or double-a city most of your fans are coming from were the team is from. I look at the Buffalo Bisons as my MLB team because that is all I had in Buffalo, New York to follow live for baseball. That is where most of the fan base is coming from for season tickets and going more than once for the Buffalo Bisons, Buffalo, New York, for the Columbus Clippers, Columbus, Ohio etc. San Diego in my opinion will struggle in triple-a baseball just like Gwinnett Braves have in the suburb of Atlanta. Because Gwinnett Braves are competeing with MLB Atanta Braves for fans. Buffalo Bisons don't compete with anyone for fans.

The New York Mets are 8 hours away. Buffalo has seen no increase in attendance with the New York Mets as a PDC because if you live in New York City your either a New York Mets fan or a New York Yankees fan. Your not going to say oh forget the New York Mets I going to the Buffalo Bisons 8 hours away not happening. Where the Buffalo Bisons make out with the New York Mets is with being able to sell merchandise in the New York Mets team store at Citi Field where your selling to millions of baseball fans in New York City and also getting some tv games on SNY TV that helps with advertising revenue for our 45 Buffalo Bisons games on our local Buffalo Time Warner Cable Sportsnet. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:27 am, edited 8 times in total.

Return to “PCL”