swb

The International League (IL) forum
ca
Site Admin

swb

Post by ca » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:51 am

if scranton wilkes barre moves where do they go ?

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:59 am

One I think there still working on a new stadium in Scranton-WB but there is a time line to get the money and the counties in Scranton-WB have lines drawn in the sand.

As for where could they go as a Buffalo Bisons fan and someone that really follows International League baseball I would like to see the IL go back to Montreal at Olympic Stadium. With the dome it guarenteess games won't get rained out or snowed out like what happened often in April with Ottawa in the IL.

Another problem would be boarder crossings the IL didn't mind seeing the Ottawa Lynx IL move and that was one of the reasons along with of course the poor attendance in Ottawa. Anyway I would like to see the IL go back to it's roots with the Montreal Royals in the IL again.

It would be a great rival for my Buffalo Bisons. We already have the Buffalo Sabres vs Montreal Canadiens rivalry. Montreal is too big of a city not to have atleast triple-a baseball. I think it would work up there because there has been enough time since the Montreal Expos NL moved to Washington.

Another possiblity would be Richmond, Virginia that lost the Richmond Braves IL to Gwinnett, Georgia. Bring back the Richmond Virginians IL from the 1960's.

Another possiblity is a growing market in Jacksonville, Florida. The Jacksonville Suns IL bring them back from the 1960's is possible too. Or even Orlando, Florida is large enough for triple-a baseball today.

So my choices would be as follows in number order how I would like it to happen.

1. Scranton-WB meaning I hope it stays in Scranton-WB
2. Montreal
3. Richmond
4. Jacksonville
5. Orlando

Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

ca
Site Admin

if swb moves ...

Post by ca » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:41 pm

imo it has to be within close proximity to other clubs in the division and you always have the issues of relocating a club if its an occupied market

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 am

Montreal and Orlando are open markets one. And two triple-a is a higher league and would be allowed to go into a double-a market I think like MLB can go into a lower level then MLB triple-a IL market. Meaning if the Tampa Bay Rays AL want to move to Buffalo there is nothing the IL or Buffalo Bisons of the IL can do about it I believe is my understanding but I could be wrong?

Same with the Richmond Flying Squirrels EL if the IL cuts a deal with a new ballpark with Richmond, Virginia I think the Eastern League would have to go or at the very least face potential serve finacial losses at the Diamond for the Richmond Flying Squirrels Eastern League. Because one would think baseball fans in Richmond, Virginia would go to triple-a IL new team at a new stadium over double-a at the old baseball park at the Diamond see what I am saying.
Jacksonville Suns SL that case I don't know because they already have a signed lease at there new stadium built a few years ago. That city going there could be a problem because of the lease with the Jacksonville Suns Southern League double-a team. I think that could definately be a problem I don't know the whole rules on Minor League and Major League baseball territorries and rules for locating in a new market.

I know Memphis was a Southern League double-a team the Memphis Chicks SL and are now in the PCL as the Memphis Redbirds PCL. Or the Charlotte Knights SL now the Charlotte Knights IL. And the Wichita Aeros AA triple-a Buffalo took there team to Buffalo, New York to become the Buffalo Bisons AA triple-a and Wichita got the Wichita Wranglers TL double-a of the Texas League in there place at that time so the city of Wichita, Kansas got down graded so I saw it both ways so who knows with relocation all the rule by MLB/MILB.

The only thing is the city of Jacksonville when the lease is nearing a end for the Jacksonville Suns SL they don't have to sign up with double-a if there is a triple-a team interested in the city of Jacksonville I think. The city can just not reup with a new lease I would think? But I am only a sports fan and not a ecomomics major or a lawyer so I don't know just using common sense and opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Link to article about proposed renovation to the current ballpark.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/rebuil ... -1.1061318

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

More news: http://riveraveblues.com/2010/11/lackaw ... ise-38279/

Lackawanna County, owners of the AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre franchise, have agreed to sell the team to the Yankees and Mandalay Baseball Properties for $14.6 million. The new owners will sign a 30-year lease with Scranton and have pledged $40 million for stadium renovations, David Singleton of The Times Tribune reported last night.

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:02 pm

The Yankees traded SWB mainstay first baseman Juan Miranda to Arizona today for 19 year old pitcher Scott Allen. In 3 seasons in AAA, Miranda hit .287 with 46 homeruns.

Decal
Site Admin

Post by Decal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 am

The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees are now officially the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders.

Return to “IL”