We Want the Richmond Rhinos!

The Eastern League (EL) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

We Want the Richmond Rhinos!

Post by Minor League Man » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sport ... -the-team/

As a longtime lover of everything relating to rhinos, I offer my hearty endorsement to the Richmond Rhinos name and encourage others to do the same. Here are some good reasons why.

1. Richmond Rhinos rolls off the tongue easily, and unlike other suggested names, doesn't require a whole lot of research to know what exactly it is.
2. Check out the other names:
a. Richmond Rock Hoppers - Pretty alliterative, but it breaks my "two-syllable limit" rule for good baseball team nicknames. (Also, are there any such penguins in Richmond-or Virginia-even at the zoos?)
b. Richmond Flatheads - I know it's a fish native to the area, but that's too obscure for the average fan to know. Plus, nobody wants to be called a "Flathead," and the press will have a field day with that name if the team gets in a slump.
c. Richmond Flying Squirrels - "And now-" "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a win out of my hat!" "AGAIN?" "Nothin' up my sleeve-presto!" (we all know how that turns out)
d. Richmond Hambones - Virginia is known for cured ham, but I think they're hitting in the wrong area (Hamhocks? Ham Hawks? Ham Fighters?)
3. The Metro Richmond Zoo has a white rhino exhibit-Maybe one of them can be the team's honorary mascot!
4. Very easily marketable. You can tell a fan by the horns they wear (horns would be like a "Cheesehead" in that case)
5. Finally, we need to support our endangered species, and this baseball team would be a PERFECT opportunity to get kids to appreciate the real-life rhinos and chip in to see how they can help them!

Because I am so passionate about this, I am doing a full-fledged marketing campaign! Facebook group and Twitter coming soon-make sure you spread the word!
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Return to “EL”