NYPL Teams on the move for 2012!!!

The New York-Penn League (NYPL) forum
Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 am

[quote=""panchess""]Elmira would need a stadium. Dunn Field doesn't meet specs for MiLB. The Nassau County vote went down, or that would be a potential location.[/quote]

In my opinion Nassau County is the new normal today. Taxpayers aren't going to fund in my opinion stadiums and arenas in this present economy like in the past. The private business sports owners are going to have to do it themselves with private funding in my opinion with other investors or teams that is why I am for if you are going to build something for it to be muti purpose double decked stadium for multiple uses not just for one team baseball. Also a Arena for the New York Islanders NHL was a part of that vote for that complex too I realize that. But now the New York Islanders NHL potential have moving to Quebec City written on them as soon as Quebec City builds there potential new arena we will see what happens. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Dan K
Site Admin

Post by Dan K » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:26 pm

I don't think the Rochester Red Wings actually own the Batavia team and the Batavia sale is not dependent on the Red Wings. The Red Wings agreed to operate the Muckdogs to keep the team alive until a sale does go through. When the sale is completed, the Red Wings will get 5% of the sale price for each year they operated the team. They completed a three-year contract (2008-10) and signed on for 2011. So if the team is sold this off-season, I guess Rochester would get 20% of the sale price. If it is not sold, they will operate Batavia for another season and increase their percentage.

GoCyclones!
Site Admin

Post by GoCyclones! » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:10 pm

This is a topic I'm interested in. The Rockland Boulders (Can-Am) have a beautiful ballpark which, no disrespect to the Can-Am, is too nice for that level. It would be great to have an NYPL team there to rival HV, SI and BK...but it's about 40 miles from Yankee Stadium. So there are the silly territorial rights issues. What I've read recently is the Scranton Yanks may play in 2012 in Ottawa while renovations are being made to their stadium, to gauge local interest in the area. Then they will head back to Scranton for 2013, the Erie Seawolves in the Eastern League (AA) may move to Ottawa, and an NYPL team may move to Erie.

Toronto is really making a big push to be Canada's team. There's talk of a AAA team returning to Vancouver, BC and a lot of talk about a AA team in Ottawa. Maybe a NYPL team in Hamilton, ON?

I don't expect any movement in 2012. There was the talk of a team playing where the old New Jersey Cardinals played at the beginning of the year. That would be nice but now looking unlikely. The Jammers I believe just signed a five-year lease to stay in Jamestown. So that makes their move unlikely.

mikeyratt
Site Admin

Post by mikeyratt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 pm

it was cool when Welland, Hamilton and St. Catherines were all in the NYP and London in the EL. I'd love to see some teams back north of the border.

Return to “NYPL”