NYPL Teams on the move for 2012!!!

The New York-Penn League (NYPL) forum
EHL Historian
Site Admin

NYPL Teams on the move for 2012!!!

Post by EHL Historian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:12 pm

With the 2011 season winding down it is time to open a thread to start identifying potential moves for 2012!!!

Batavia...Are they staying or moving???

What other moves are being talked about???

ca
Site Admin

Post by ca » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:12 pm

if batavia or anyone else moves where do they go ?

flasah
Site Admin

Post by flasah » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm

According to Dan Krieger's Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report (//www.oursportscentral.com/services/oscoriginals/),
the NYP has been considering Ottawa ONT, Elmira NY,
Phoenixville PA, and West Chester PA as possible destinations.
Teams that may look at moving include Batavia, Jamestown & Vermont.

ca
Site Admin

Post by ca » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

since we're into looking at markets that may nt have a pk why not look at metro detroit since them fightin phils might not like another minor league team nearby . as for ottawa or elmira arent those markets with big pk or been there done that

EHL Historian
Site Admin

NYPL League to West Chester Pa.

Post by EHL Historian » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:19 pm

It was an idea that had general acceptance for the past few years.
Then the city rejected the concept of having a ball park.
That stadium is dead and will be for a few years.

mikeyratt
Site Admin

Post by mikeyratt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 pm

I know the stadium isn't even up to Indy League standards, but I'd love to see Johnstown get an NYP team.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:56 am

Batavia and Jamestown are both near me in Buffalo and have been on the potential move list for years now. Batavia that is up to the Rochester Red Wings IL who own the Batavia team. And with Jamestown that is own by the Rich Family who owns the team I follow the Buffalo Bisons. The Rich Family at the time bought single a and double a teams because they were going to be potentially be the Buffalo Bisons farm teams if Buffalo got MLB expansion in 1993 that went to Denver and Miami.

If I was guessing and all it is basically is a guess that Batavia would mostly likely move first so the Rochester Red Wings can recover there loses in Batavia. Because the Rochester Red Wings are community owned team that make money but the Batavia single a team cuts into there profits. Batavia is just to small in my opinion to have single a affliated baseball anymore. Jamestown team is owned by the Rich Family who could cover the loses if they want I would guess because they are on the Forbes 500 list so there not hurting for money at like $2 billion dollars total net worth. Plus the Buffalo Bisons IL do well finacially better then the Rochester Red Wings IL by alot.

As for the choices many of you have listed the only real good choice as of today would be Ottawa, Ontario that was once home to IL triple a. In affliated baseball a ballpark has to meet MLB standards for MILB. That is why many cities end up in indy ball because the cities ballpark doesn't meet those standards set forth by MLB and MILB anymore for one reason or another and no new ballpark is on the way. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:00 am

Elmira would need a stadium. Dunn Field doesn't meet specs for MiLB. The Nassau County vote went down, or that would be a potential location.

ca
Site Admin

elmira could get up ...

Post by ca » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm

to nypl standards but im not sure they even want back in indy ball and isnt the ottawa pk too big ?

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 am

[quote=""ca""]to nypl standards but im not sure they even want back in indy ball and isnt the ottawa pk too big ?[/quote]

Ca in my opinion no the Ottawa Park isn't too big for NYPL. I will explain my point of view. Just me but a ballpark in the minors never can be too big. In Ottawa case it might be a good thing because with a larger then normal NYPL park Ottawa with a bigger park then the rest of the whole NYPL they can draw poorly a few nights but make up for some poor nights with potentially a good Canada Day July 1 crowd as a potential example like Buffalo in the US with July 4.

See if the park is to small Ottawa wouldn't have that opportunity. I realize alot see it the other way. Smaller ballpark supply and demand higher ticket prices etc in a smaller park but that is needed for the huge salaries of MLB but MILB that isn't neccessarily the case. With minor league it is better to have a bigger park if you can get it. But in most cases it is differcult for minor league teams to get that much public founding from the city there playing in basically teams taking what they can get a cheaper single deck stadium with no room for growth in my opinion.

In Buffalo where I live we have the largest ballpark in all of organization afflilate MILB minor league baseball Coke Cola Field. But the Buffalo Bisons IL got that because they were trying to get Buffalo a NL expansion team in MLB baseball before losing to Denver and Miami because there bigger television markets. Anyway I think it is great my Buffalo Bisons have a huge park because Buffalo can make up for lower early attended games in April and May when it is colder and also school is still in. By having larger then normal IL crowds in single decked minor league ballparks in the warmer July and August months with the bigger ballpark in Buffalo.

So I would rather have bigger if you can get it ballpark plus Coke Cola Field in Buffalo is used for other events because of it's size it is multi purpose for other things like concerts, pro wrestling, pro lacrosse and the Buffalo Wing Festival held. Band boxes single deck stadiums are limited to just baseball only and when teams fail the city taxpayers are left holding the bag in my opinion like in Atlantic City with the Atlantic City Surf Atlantic League as a example or the Ottawa Lynx IL in Ottawa. That is just my opinion on larger stadiums not all will agree which is fine but atleast my Buffalo Bisons IL are still in business for over 30 plus years making money.

But I grew up in the 1970's where stadiums where muti purpose and in my opinion better for the sports fans when it comes to cost of attending games compared to today because there are more seats and also for the taxpayers not having to build baseball and football stadiums only at a huge cost. Like I totally disagreed with what went on in Portland, Oregon last year becoming a MLS soccer stadium only with then PGE Park old Civic Stadium.

Basically not allowing Portland Beavers PCL baseball to be held there and basically ending the potential of a start up new football league being allowed like a Portland Storm WFL or Portland Breakers USFL situation again in Portland because the Portland Timbers MLS took away the multipurpose even though it was good enough for the Portland Timbers NASL and Portland Timbers USL teams which in my opinion if I lived in Portland would think is sad because Portland sold itself for MLS and didn't see what they had was the best way for potential new sports leagues but again I realize there is two sides to everything.

At the end of the day just my opinion that the sports fans and taxpayers of Portland, Oregon where the losers on that deal. But Portland fans like Pounder on this board would disagree with me which is fine. I realize there are two points of views and thoughts out there on this subject. But atleast Buffalo is open stadium wise for anything sporting down the road in case NFL no longer wants to stay in Buffalo due to economics because of our shrinking population in Buffalo we still have places like Coke Cola Field which could potentially host a new minor football league or even a CFL team or a NASL or USL Pro soccer team or whatever comes along that is started up in the future so I would never trade that potential for a single deck stadium or one sport only soccer specific stadium like what Portland did with giving away PGE Park mutiple purposes and the Portland Beavers PCL in the process. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 am, edited 14 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Return to “NYPL”