Oneonta moving to Norwich (CT) ?

Post by smsudi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:34 pm

http://www.courant.com/community/wtic-d ... 0052.story

The Associated Press

10:48 a.m. EST, January 20, 2010

* EmailE-mail
* printPrint
* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

NORWICH, Conn. (AP) - An official with a Single-A baseball league says an announcement is due this week on moving a new team to Dodd Stadium in Norwich.

The New York-Penn League's president says the team is expected to be named Friday at Norwich City Hall, where officials are finalizing negotiations with the league.

The Norwich Bulletin reports that a representative of the Oneonta, N.Y., Tigers, an affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, toured Dodd Stadium last week.

The New York-Penn League is a short-season league that begins play June 18.

Dodd Stadium's last tenant, the Connecticut Defenders, moved last September to the larger market of Richmond, Va. The San Francisco Giants affiliate and its predecessor, the Norwich Navigators, had a 15-year run in eastern Connecticut.

ca
Site Admin

reports have it that ...

Post by ca » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 am

4 nypl clubs would like norwich so when the 1 is picked how can these other 3 teams go bk to face their current markets ? they better keep their wishes under the hat or have a plan b unless they can afford to lose a lot of $$$

smsudi
Site Admin

Post by smsudi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Vermont, Jamestown....which is the 3rd other?

smsudi
Site Admin

Post by smsudi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Here's an update:

Baseball team announcement delayed
http://www.theday.com/article/20100121/ ... 1047/rss01

Norwich - Local baseball fans won't learn until next Thursday which minor league baseball team from the New York-Penn League will move to Thomas J. Dodd Memorial Stadium this summer. City officials postponed Friday's planned announcement to next week.

The press conference will now be at 1 p.m., Thursday Jan. 28 in City Hall.

The Norwich City Council approved a 10-year lease Tuesday with an unnamed team from the short-season Class A New York-Penn League. Ben Hayes, league president, has called for total silence among the parties involved on the identity of the team until Friday's announcement.

Hayes and officials from the team are expected to attend Friday's press conference.

Teams in the New York-Penn League play a 76-game schedule, with 38 home games from mid-June through Labor Day weekend, followed by a two-week playoff schedule.

ca
Site Admin

i believe team # 3 ...

Post by ca » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:00 pm

is batavia but lets say its 2 if thats public knowledge things could get ugly with no plan b

Corbin
Site Admin

Post by Corbin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

The four NYPL franchises rumored to have interest in relocating to Norwich are Batavia, Jamestown, Oneonta and Vermont. I'd rank the latest likelihood of relocation as being...

1) Oneonta
2) Jamestown
3) Vermont
4) Batavia

ca
Site Admin

so what do the 3 teams ...

Post by ca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 am

that lose out on norwich do if its public knowledge they were shopping for a new home ? wouldnt want to go bk and face that music

smsudi
Site Admin

Post by smsudi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Well I think it has been fairly obvious that Vermont wants to move due to the condition of their ballpark. As for the other 3, I have no idea. Might just leave 2 upset fanbases. Heck though, if my team come backs, I'd be happy, and I'd be at that ballpark as much as possible in the coming season, because it could be the last! Better to get a warning than have the team move out in the middle of the night (Baltimore Colts).

ca
Site Admin

could still have a b/c ...

Post by ca » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:25 am

and basically its a swan song . btw that song might not be a pleasant tune

smsudi
Site Admin

Post by smsudi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Looks like its happening today:

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/sports/baseball-back-in-norwich

Baseball coming back to Norwich
New York-Penn league team relocating

Updated: Thursday, 28 Jan 2010, 7:35 AM EST
Published : Thursday, 28 Jan 2010, 7:35 AM EST

An announcement is expected today that pro baseball is coming back to Noriwch.

A minor league team of the Detroit Tigers is expected to announce a move from Oneonta, New York, to Connecticut.

The Norwich Navigators left Norwich after last season, so the Tigers can move in.

The team is part of the New York/Penn league, in Single A ball.

The season starts in June.

A news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Norwich City Hall.

Return to “NYPL”