Post by HeadFirst » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 am

From the Loudoun Times-Mirror:

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2009/d ... ll-stadium

Developers to submit plans for second baseball stadium

By Crystal Owens
Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16 2009
UPDATED WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16 2009

While one developer is rounding the bases, a second is on deck.

Loudoun County supervisors have been in talks with Reston-based developer Comstock Partners about building a minor league baseball stadium in Ashburn. This would be the second baseball stadium proposed for Loudoun County.

In its preapplication to county planners, Comstock Partners lists the Potomac Nationals -- a Washington Nationals Single A affiliate -- as a potential user of the stadium.

The facility would be part of Loudoun Station, an already approved community of homes and businesses that will be built next to a future Metro stop in Ashburn.

The stadium, at the intersection of Dulles Greenway and Loudoun County Parkway, would have 5,000 seats and could accommodate 7,000 people for other events.

Comstock Partners could not be reached for more information about its plans.

In July, Loudoun County supervisors in July approved plans from Ashburn-based developer Kincora for a different stadium with 5,500 seats near the intersection of routes 28 and 7, west of Dulles Town Center.

VIP Baseball reached an agreement in June with the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball Clubs to bring a team to the Kincora ballpark.

Supervisor Stevens Miller (D-Dulles), whose district includes the area where the new stadium would be, said he supports the proposal but two baseball stadiums might be too much for Loudoun County.

"I find the idea of a Triple A team, associated with a team in the majors, and playing in a stadium accessible by Metro, very appealing. I did speak with Comstock about this some time ago and told them I would be supportive," Miller said. "I would be surprised if a Triple A team and a stadium hosting the Atlantic League could both succeed in Loudoun, but that is a matter for the marketplace to decide, not the Board of Supervisors."

Comstock's proposed stadium would be seven miles south of Kincora.

Kincora's developers are not worried about the competition.

"Within 20 miles and 20 minutes, you've got 500,000 people with no professional sport leagues," said Michael Scott of Norton Scott LLC, lead developer of Kincora. "Two minor league teams wouldn't be a problem with that type of base."

Opening day at the Kincora stadium is set for 2011, but developers first must have the property rezoned before they can proceed with their plans.

Return to “CarL”