The Drive were out driven

The South Atlantic League (SAL) forum
MikeH
Site Admin

The Drive were out driven

Post by MikeH » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:54 pm

The Asheville Tourists meant business Tuesday night at Fluor Field as they defeated the Greenville Drive 12-6.

The Tourists opened up early in the game scoring four runs by the 4th inning. After the top of the 5th inning, it all seemed hopeless as Asheville rallied for three more runs to increase their lead to 7-0.

Greenville did not give up, however, as they forced a total of three runs in a two inning span. Although some fans had left the game during the 5th inning, the remaining fans had gotten back into the game as the Drive narowed the lead to four.

That rally was compromised in the top of the 7th. Things went from bad to worse for the Drive. Ventura was on the mound during the top of the 7th inning and Asheville gave him a little dose of power hitting.

Ventura gave up a solo homerun shot as Miller sent one over the outfield fence. As if that was not enough, Ventura gave up a base hit to the next batter, and as Cunningham was up for his turn at bat, cranked out his second homerun of the night as he hit a two run homerun with nobody out still. This lead to a disappointing mound appearance for Ventura. Asheville went to score two more runs to end their half of the 7th as they increased their lead to nine.

The Drive and the fans did not give up hope though. J. Dew did everything he could to keep the fans into the game and to help get the Drive fired up. They rallied for another three runs into the bottom of the ninth, however, it just was not enough.

To be honest, the fireworks proved to be more entertaining than the Greenville Drive's performance on the field.
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

JoesFan
Site Admin

Ouch!

Post by JoesFan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 am

You are a very baaaaaaaaaaaad man.
All the Drive needed was a 7 run rally :rolleyes:
See ya!
Joesfan

MikeH
Site Admin

Post by MikeH » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:41 pm

[quote=""JoesFan""]You are a very baaaaaaaaaaaad man.
All the Drive needed was a 7 run rally :rolleyes:
See ya!
Joesfan[/quote]

You knew this was coming. I could not resist. Besides, no biggie anyways because the Greenville Drive ticket is a nice souvenir to come home with, along with an Independent Mail paper with articles about my visit.

I had fun at the game and you know it. :D It was nice to actually breathe for once that day. I was running non-stop.

I also told you that those Tarheel boys were going to edge out a win. I checked the box score and it was Ventura on the plate that was humiliated in the 7th. :redface:
**HOMETOWN CLUBS**
Durham Bulls (Class AAA International League)
Carolina Mudcats (Class AA Southern League)
Winston-Salem Dash (Class A Advanced Carolina League)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Class A South Atlantic League)
Burlington Indians (Rookie Appalachian League)
**CINCINNATI REDS' AFFILIATIONS**
Louisville Bats
Carolina Mudcats
Dayton Dragons
Billings Mustangs

Return to “SAL”