any good in-person autograph stories?

The South Atlantic League (SAL) forum
PikevilleOT
Site Admin

any good in-person autograph stories?

Post by PikevilleOT » Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

not much posting.. thought i would start a conversation thread...

I am an autograph collector.. favorite teams are Astros, Braves, and Indians so this league is great for me.....
I usually attend 12-15 games a year and have had good luck at Applebee's park in Lexington... any other good stadiums for autos?

JoesFan
Site Admin

Cecil Fielder

Post by JoesFan » Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 am

Don't know that it is a good story;The one year that the independent SOUTH COAST LEAGUE had a team in Anderson, SC (Anderson Joes). I was listening to a game on the radio and they interviewed Cecil Fielder. He was the roving hitting coach for the SCL. They mentioned he would be at the game the following night. I put a couple of my son's baseball cards in my pocket when we went to the game the following night.
No announcement was made that he was at the game, but I saw him sitting in the box seats behind home plate. Later on, my son and I were in line to get a hotdog, when who but Cecil himself came walking up to get in line behind us. So I whipped out the cards and asked him if he had seen this guy in the stadium anywhere.
He was really nice about it and we talked for the few minutes that we stood in line. Don't know where he is now, but his son sure is doing well.
All that to say, you get the best opportunity sometimes in unexpected places. Check out the indie leagues.

I also met Hank Aaron at a restaurant in Anderson, SC one night. I have no idea what he was doing in Anderson, but I got a signed photo from him. He mis-spelled my name, but I didn't care...
Last edited by JoesFan on Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SAL”