Great Lakes Loons

The Midwest League (MWL) forum
patmc16
Site Admin

Great Lakes Loons

Post by patmc16 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:05 pm

The name of the Midland, MI baseball franchise has been announced. The Current Southwest Michigan Devil Rays will be known as the Great Lakes Loons when they relocate from Battle Creek next year.

http://www.loons.com/

I was wondering what people outside of the Mid-Michigan area think of the name & logo. The response in the area seems to be overwhelmingly negative. Nearly 80% don't like it in a newspaper poll and the comments posted online make that seem like a conservative number. There was a poll on the team website asking what people thought. It was quickly removed. I assume because the owners didn't like what they saw. I am wondering if the Great Lakes Loons will go the way of the Battle Creek Golden Kazoos and be changed before playing a single game. Ironically, the Kazoos and Loons are actually the same franchise.
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

Jamie
Site Admin

Post by Jamie » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:59 pm

Being from Michigan, I appreciate the "Loon" connetion. In fact I grew up near a "Loon Lake". The logo is a little lame looking, but could live wit it.

I was pleased to note that Lance Parrish is the manager. What a great guy, and a great catcher for the Tigers.

Is this his time as a manager? Where else has he been coaching?

Craphound
Site Admin

Loons

Post by Craphound » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Great Logo - already bought a hat...

RJF
Site Admin
Location: Holt, MI when I must. Houghton Lake, MI when I can.

Post by RJF » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Lugnuts wasn't looked on too kindly at first either. Sure caught on, though. Believe our 12th year will start, if we can get past the blizzard. Dang, it's cold.

Pine Hills Baseball
Site Admin

Well done Loons

Post by Pine Hills Baseball » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 am

Have a great first season Loons, your new stadium looks very sweet, I hope you have warmer weather and less snow for your home games soon and Dave "Goofy" Sutherland gets more game time at 1B and helps out the Loons in a first up winning season. :-D

Regards
PHL
Last edited by Pine Hills Baseball on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MWL”