Unacceptable Behaviour in Moncton

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) forum
Sarah
Site Admin

Unacceptable Behaviour in Moncton

Post by Sarah » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:15 pm

On Friday February 17th 2006, I drove to Moncton with seven other Moosehead fans from Halifax. We came to support our team along with other groups of Moosehead fans scattered throughout the Moncton Coliseum. Like the Metro Centro in Halifax, they announced prior to the game that spectators acting in an inappropriate manner would be evicted from the Coliseum. However, once the game started it quickly became evident that these rules were not enforced. Moncton players threatened, cursed and spit at the Halifax players from above their bench. Four Moncton fans in particular even started yelling at us as spectators and still, the security and the ushers did nothing but watch. After the first period, one Moosehead fan complained to the usher of this behavior.
During second period though, this behavior actually escalated and by the third period, no actions had been taken against these disrespectful fans despite numerous complaints from Halifax fans. After the third period I approached a security guard who was watching the whole situation and he told me that it was not his job to control the situation. He had not seen anything that was unacceptable. He told me that there was nothing that he could do. It was a hockey game; what should I expect? So I explained to him that I expected to be treated with respect, to have our players be treated with respect. Is it so unfair to go to a game to support your team and expect to actually watch a hockey game? The players are there to represent Halifax and should not be subjected to being spit on. As I was speaking to the security guard who had informed me that his job was not to control the situation, one of the Moncton fans who had been hanging over the Moosehead bench spitting, came over to the security guard and congratulated him on a good game!
As a fan that has been to numerous Quebec Major Junior Hockey games throughout the league, I have never been so appalled by the behavior that I witnessed in Moncton. This year they are hosting the Memorial Cup. Is this the type of behavior that the QMJHL perceives as being acceptable? As fans our complaints were completely disregarded and as hockey players, the boys were subjected to being spit at. In my opinion this is completely unacceptable behavior that should have been addressed during the game. This is not appropriate behavior for a team in the Quebec League, especially for one that is set to host the Memorial Cup this spring.

Sarah

F_CSM
Site Admin

Post by F_CSM » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:20 pm

Sounds like a major issue. I agree, I would not have tollerated that kind of behavior either.

My only question is why did you let your complaint stop at the minimum wage security guard? I can't say I've ever been to a QMJHL game but I'm sure there had to be some higher ranking building or team personnel around that would have listened to your very valid complaint.

If I were you, I wouldn't let this incident fade away. If you don't feel safe going to a visiting team's arena, I'd be sure to let the League know all about your experience.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:36 am

Canadians...Go fig.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

adsco
Site Admin

Last Memorial Cup for Moncton

Post by adsco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:49 pm

F_CSM wrote:Sounds like a major issue. I agree, I would not have tollerated that kind of behavior either.

My only question is why did you let your complaint stop at the minimum wage security guard? I can't say I've ever been to a QMJHL game but I'm sure there had to be some higher ranking building or team personnel around that would have listened to your very valid complaint.

If I were you, I wouldn't let this incident fade away. If you don't feel safe going to a visiting team's arena, I'd be sure to let the League know all about your experience.
Are you sure they were Hockey fans? Sounds like a soccer game to me!

Just kidding!

Actually the behaviour was unacceptable, and the police should have been called and the guard fired.

The Candain Hockey League should be notified. I believe they would actually do something.

Moncton should lose the Memorial Cup - we'll take take up here in Toronto - we have two good arenas, in the Air Canada Center, and the Richo Colisuim right close - or maybe we will wait until the next World Junior Championships.

adsco
Site Admin

Canadians eh?

Post by adsco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Minor League Man wrote:Canadians...Go fig.
No disrespect to you - you state what ever you want; but you will never see a Canadian sit down for another Country's National Anthem - well American's will sit down or even boo at another Country's National Anthem.

I've seen it at countless Stock Car races, and Hockey games!

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:26 pm

adsco wrote:Are you sure they were Hockey fans? Sounds like a soccer game to me!

Just kidding!

Actually the behaviour was unacceptable, and the police should have been called and the guard fired.

The Candain Hockey League should be notified. I believe they would actually do something.

Moncton should lose the Memorial Cup - we'll take take up here in Toronto - we have two good arenas, in the Air Canada Center, and the Richo Colisuim right close - or maybe we will wait until the next World Junior Championships.
And what Q team precisely is located in Toronto?-or did you forget that they rotate hosting among the three leagues?

Anyway, why have it in a place that only cares about the Maple Leafs?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

adsco
Site Admin

Who Cares?

Post by adsco » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:48 pm

rams80 wrote:And what Q team precisely is located in Toronto?-or did you forget that they rotate hosting among the three leagues?

Anyway, why have it in a place that only cares about the Maple Leafs?
Because Toronto would make Hockey Canada about 10 times more money than anywhere else!

I guess we will have to wait until Toronto gets the next World Junior Championship to prove it.

In fact, there are many that think if we put ice in the Rogers Center we would sell out all 55,000-60,000 seats to watch Leaf home games or the World Juniors; but this is only based on the fact that the place was almost sold out to watch the Leafs beat Detroit, in a playoffs away game in, 1992 (approx.), on the big screen.

Actually there are 3 Major Jr. Teams in Toronto.

The point is: if the Q can't provide adequate security why should they have the Memorial Cup in the first place?

Toronto supports the Leafs, the Marlies, 3 Major Jr. teams, numerous Provincial A teams, and a whole plethorea of A, AA, AAA, Select and House League Teams.

I just wonder if you are missing the point of the thread?
Last edited by adsco on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChampionOfSteel
Site Admin

Post by ChampionOfSteel » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Sarah wrote:On Friday February 17th 2006, I drove to Moncton with seven other Moosehead fans from Halifax. We came to support our team along with other groups of Moosehead fans scattered throughout the Moncton Coliseum. Like the Metro Centro in Halifax, they announced prior to the game that spectators acting in an inappropriate manner would be evicted from the Coliseum. However, once the game started it quickly became evident that these rules were not enforced. Moncton players threatened, cursed and spit at the Halifax players from above their bench. Four Moncton fans in particular even started yelling at us as spectators and still, the security and the ushers did nothing but watch. After the first period, one Moosehead fan complained to the usher of this behavior.
During second period though, this behavior actually escalated and by the third period, no actions had been taken against these disrespectful fans despite numerous complaints from Halifax fans. After the third period I approached a security guard who was watching the whole situation and he told me that it was not his job to control the situation. He had not seen anything that was unacceptable. He told me that there was nothing that he could do. It was a hockey game; what should I expect? So I explained to him that I expected to be treated with respect, to have our players be treated with respect. Is it so unfair to go to a game to support your team and expect to actually watch a hockey game? The players are there to represent Halifax and should not be subjected to being spit on. As I was speaking to the security guard who had informed me that his job was not to control the situation, one of the Moncton fans who had been hanging over the Moosehead bench spitting, came over to the security guard and congratulated him on a good game!
As a fan that has been to numerous Quebec Major Junior Hockey games throughout the league, I have never been so appalled by the behavior that I witnessed in Moncton. This year they are hosting the Memorial Cup. Is this the type of behavior that the QMJHL perceives as being acceptable? As fans our complaints were completely disregarded and as hockey players, the boys were subjected to being spit at. In my opinion this is completely unacceptable behavior that should have been addressed during the game. This is not appropriate behavior for a team in the Quebec League, especially for one that is set to host the Memorial Cup this spring.

Sarah
Spitting at someone is an assault here in the United States.

Maybe Canada has a different law.

Now onto the rest of your complaint:

I lift weights and I'm in good physical shape. People don't mess with me. If I cheer for a team that is in the minority, the only folks that have the balls to give me grief are in seating sections way way far away.

I once attended a Dayton Bombers playoff game at ole Hara Arena against the Greensboro Monarchs. At the end of the game the Dayton fans pelted the Monarch players with their beer. I was not one of them because I refuse to drink alcohol at sporting events. I was half-smiling the whole time during the beer dumping/and disgusted with Dayton's inability to win advance. Kirk-the-jerk (former Dayton radio celebrity Steve Kirk) was the PA announcer and encouraging everyone to have some class.

What a way to end the season. The Monarchs players were relishing the beer being splattered on them. It was also game 5 of a best-of-five series.

The only problem I see in your complaint is spitting. That would piss me off. The rest is totally expected and somewhat entertaining.

This is pro minor league hockey at its finest. I expect a fight in the stands among the fans especially on biker night so I don't bring youngsters with me. I'm sensitive to the fact when fans are gradually becoming unruly. When I see something escalating near me, I head for the snack bar before the players/coaches/usher charge some fan or vice versa.
Last edited by ChampionOfSteel on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't let the people with the money know you prefer the NIFL game system, you won't see any stable leagues copying the NIFL game system for your enjoyment!

Speak up!

Marshal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbIlQYR1Qs LAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!

F_CSM
Site Admin

Post by F_CSM » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:23 pm

My take on it is if everyone was jawing at eachother and everyone was cool with what was going on then yes, that is ok and somewhat amusing. What I found disturbing from the original post was the security guard/usher's response (or lack of a response). When a paying customer lodges a complaint, something should be done about it.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 am

To be quite honest, this situation seems a little tame compared to what happened the other night in Moose Jaw. Apparently some of the fans near the tunnel to the dressing room had been laying in pretty thick on the Wheat Kings. As the players left the ice after the third period they proceeded to throw water bottles, dump beer and pop on the Wheat Kings and throw other garbage at them. A few Wheat Kings players had enough and punched one of the offenders and it erupted into a small brawl between the fans and the Wheaties. It took the referees, some of the Wheaties not involved and a couple of Moose Jaw police officers to end the melee. Apparently, the WHL has fined the Warriors for inadequate security and if there are more games at the Crushed Can this season, I believe the Warriors have to have their security plans approved by the WHL before the game can take place.

As far as moving the Memorial Cup away from Moncton, I don't think that would solve anything. Basically, what the Wildcats need to do is keep a closer eye on the fans and eject them if problems occur. For the Memorial Cup, I believe the CHL and Moncton Coliseum set up security and whatnot, not the Wildcats who would do that during the QMJHL season. So I figure things will go off without a hitch. Besides in light of the events in Moose Jaw, I figure the CHL will force Moncton to have better security on hand in case something like the other night happens in Moncton. I think you will see the overreaction that the NBA layed down after the Ron Artess brawl occur during CHLwide events.

If the QMJHL were to do anything to the Wildcats over this situation, I figure they should take the lead from FIFA. Whenever there is a major fan disturbance in international soccer games, FIFA forces that country to hold the next match in an empty stadium. If the Q were to do that to the Wildcats for one game, I figure things would definitely change.
Last edited by Shootmaster_44 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “QMJHL”