Seven Teams To Go "Dormant" (realignment)

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Seven Teams To Go "Dormant" (realignment)

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:33 pm

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_d ... s_id=74973

The sanity in all this is that USA Hockey overrode a Junior Council edict preventing Wenatchee from seeking a team in the British Columbia Junior League. The travel was simply ridiculous (Fresno, 3 Alaska teams, 1 team way north in BC), even if Wenatchee was the best draw in NAHL for 3 out of the last 4 years. Fortunately, the Wild franchise can be sold to interests in Johnstown looking for a team after the ECHL was lost (at least per rumor).

NAHL needed a reality check. Of course, there's still two Alaska teams wanting to play in Texas... good luck with that.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:30 am

[quote=""Pounder""]http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_d ... s_id=74973

The sanity in all this is that USA Hockey overrode a Junior Council edict preventing Wenatchee from seeking a team in the British Columbia Junior League. The travel was simply ridiculous (Fresno, 3 Alaska teams, 1 team way north in BC), even if Wenatchee was the best draw in NAHL for 3 out of the last 4 years. Fortunately, the Wild franchise can be sold to interests in Johnstown looking for a team after the ECHL was lost (at least per rumor).

NAHL needed a reality check. Of course, there's still two Alaska teams wanting to play in Texas... good luck with that.[/quote]
I wonder if a team may pop up in Dodge City, Kan., where the NAHL held an exhibition back in Dec. About 1,300 showed up.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Fortunately, the Wild franchise can be sold to interests in Johnstown looking for a team after the ECHL was lost (at least per rumor).[/quote]

Johnstown is supposedly getting a franchise in the new NPHL.

However, until a lease is signed at the War Memorial, anything remains possible. :D

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Another interesting revisit.

3 of the "dormant" teams are playing this year (Fresno, Wenatchee, and Michigan... Fresno is #1 in attendance and Wenatchee #3), while Traverse City's rights apparently were sold to Sault Ste. Marie, and they're playing.

I was in Wenatchee Friday night, definitely educational (and I'll leave it at that)...

...I wonder if people in Eugene could be persuaded to make a few upgrades to get the Generals out of a dying NorPac and into this league. It's possibly one too many upgrades required, especially given 3 teams in the division draw more than Lane County Ice holds and yet the travel is stifling for the current members. OTOH, if Seattle gets NHL 2-4 years down the road, I'm tempted to think that the WHL US Division suffers an upheaval. Eh, that's a big "if".

BTW, Wenatchee has applied again for the BCHL. I'm told they're acting with USA Hockey's blessing this time. Now the question is whether the BCHL really wants them (last year's excuse was that the BCHL schedule was set).

Meanwhile, Johnstown IS in this league.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “NAHL”