NAHL play in games

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) forum
Stjk
Site Admin

NAHL play in games

Post by Stjk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm

The formula for resolving the mess created by the league's decision to grant an automatic playoff berth to the host team of the finals is even more ignorant ! Now Michigan and Bismark have to go to Topeka and play two games. If they split those (a good bet) they will play what the league is calling a mini game (what ever THAT is) immediately following game 2 !!! Come on guys drop the host city's automatic berth after this year, a team should have to WIN to get in. Topeka LOST. In over 50 years of playing and following hockey I have never witnessed such lunacy ! So in the end the league sends a team home that won their division and a team that lost theirs gets to have a run at the title. Hard to support a league that does this to the players and fans.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Its junior hockey. No one would attend the games if the host team wasn't in. They play at one site to reduce costs. If they played a normal structure the costs would go up dramatically.

I say give your championship to the overall points leader and then just let this be a cup.

I am pretty sure you meant NAHL.

HOCKEYFAN567
Site Admin

Frankenfeld decision is an embarassment

Post by HOCKEYFAN567 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 am

So why would anyone want to support a league who is willing to put 2 outright division winners at a disadvantage for the Robertson Cup to accommodate the host team who couldn't even win their division. So both Michigan and Bismark have won their division outright and won't set foot on the ice in the Robertson Cup and the winner of the Bismark-Michigan play in will be at a disadvantage because after winning their best of 5 series in their division to win a spot in the Robertson cup they have to hurry home for half a day, pack and leave for Topeka for an extra couple playoff games that none of the other division winners have to play leaving them no rest time or practice time to prepare for the Robertson Cup. It is pathetic when a league lets politics and money drive their decisions. The four division winners should compete for the Robertson Cup not some host team who couldn't win their division. Pay the host team a fee for hosting, have a wildcard and do a 6 team round robin for the cup. Do a 5 team round robin giving the first place team a bye there are so many better alternatives that the fine commissioner should have considered. Oh but that's right they are commodities not athletes...this playoff format is a joke.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:43 am

[quote=""HOCKEYFAN567""]Oh but that's right they are commodities not athletes...this playoff format is a joke.[/quote]

That's why I've never been a big fan of the junior hockey structure. After all, these are high school-aged kids by and large.

Return to “NAHL”